Vaping and Carpel Tunnel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellYaLaterCigs

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
United States
Last night I was sitting at my computer and noticed my left wrist was experiencing moderate pain. It was a very noticeable ache on my joint, sort of like I had fallen forward and had used my hand to catch my fall. Anyway, I started thinking about my day to see if anything had happened that could be causing this, i drew a blank. I just shrugged it off at this point and figured I must have done something I didn't remember that was causing my discomfort. Thats when I reached for my vape, felt an increase in pain, and everything started to make sense.

I should mention that i'm a very heavy vaper (like many of you who are reading this i'm sure :)) . I sit at a computer for 8 hours a day for work, and I always have my vape in my left hand. I'd be surprised if there's ever a 5 minute period during my work day where I don't take at least a couple hits. I have been vaping for approxiamtely 18 months and i'm starting to wonder if this is whats causing the pain in my hand. We all know you have to make a weird claw-like gesture with your hand to take a hit so maybe doing that 100's of times a day isn't good?

To be clear, i'm not here to tell you vaping is bad, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if there were any solutions. I went to bed last night expecting my wrist to feel fine when I woke up but unfortunately the pain is still there. I've been trying to vape with my right hand but my work requires me to use my right hand for my computer mouse so i've still had to use my left hand to vape for the most part. Coincidentally I have a doctor's appointment on Monday so if it's still hurting by then i'll be sure to ask him to take a look at it.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I do the exact same thing you do and haven't had that problem, which doesn't mean it's not happening to you. Perhaps you can start changing up the way you hold your vape. Instead of always holding it in your hand, try finger tips for a while, wrist straight then wrist flexed, etc. Sort of a game of how many ways can you hold an ecig. If you do have carpal tunnel, it's going to take a while to go away. Been there, done that, no fun. I hope it goes away soon for you.

SmellYaLaterCigs

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
United States
I get that in my hands too, but it was way before vaping. Too much computer usage and playing video games, I would venture to guess that it what's happening to you. I seriously doubt it's from vaping.

I'm sure it's a combination of things, just wondering if vaping has sped the process up. I'm just suspicious because the pain is in my left hand and i'm right handed. The only thing I do almost exclusively with my left hand is vape. However, if it's not clear by this point, I am not a doctor so my suspicions may not be worth much :)

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
mustbvaping.jpg

:D
Andria

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Doubt it is Carpal Tunnel.

I was just tested due to an injury involving my right side(Workers com trying to avoid treatment)
Dr. says I have CT in both wrist. Worse in my right(injury side) Funny thing is, I'm Left Dominant.
Vaping never bothers my wrist/hand.
My Doctors also believe my issue is Trauma related Thoracic Outlet Syndrome - That brought WC to a screeching halt until I visit (THEIR) - independent Medical Examiner. How is that Independent? :blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread