Not open for further replies.

Muggs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
CT
www.advancesmart.com
I have had 2 wisdom teeth pulled by the same dentist, one was 3 years ago and the other 1 week ago. I was a smoker when I had the first one pulled. She warned me not to smoke while it heals. Of course I snuck smokes in throughout the days after and she could tell at the checkup, it wasn't healing fast enough and I ended up with dry socket.

This time around I'm no longer a smoker. I just got back from my checkup for this extraction and she is very pleased with the results. She said "it's like night and day now that you quit smoking". Crazy thing is I have been vaping ever since I left the extraction appointment.

So long story short vaping had no affect on the healing process of my wisdom tooth extraction. I am very appreciative of that. Chalk another plus up to vaping.

Dayglow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Greenville, NC
Oh I know how it's caused, I am just adding additional fuel to the fire -so to say- as dry socket is often comorbid with any number of infections. When I got my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once, no anesthetic) I was fortunate to only have minimal swelling and pain for a few days. I've heard, and seen, dry socket horrors.

Muggs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
CT
www.advancesmart.com
Yeah I'm sure the process of taking those drags cause the dry socket and the healing was a combo of smoking related things. I don't think nicotine affects the healing because I have been vaping 12mg since the extraction. I used my widest airflow settings on my drippers and rba which must have helped a lot.

rico942

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Carlsbad, CA
My vaping experience started with the extraction of two molars, in preparation for implants, a little over one year ago. My dentist (and good friend) had a couple of Njoys for me when he (a VERY good friend) picked me up from the office of the implant surgeon, Both encouraged me to try to quit smoking (after 46 years) with e-cigs ...

I was able to get through the next 3 days without tobacco, chronic bronchitis cleared up, and I was spared the array of withdrawal symptoms that some experience when the cocktail of BT chemicals is ended ...

I did have some mild bleeding of the gums as circulation was restored ...

Got the implants installed in March, and in two days I get the abutments and impressions for crowns, to be placed a week later ...

Nothing can completely repair the damage of my 4 decades of abuse, but my dentist and oral surgeon both agree that my chances of success with the implants have increased by about 40 percent. I'll take that ... :D

I should mention that my dentist and oral surgeon both practice in Mexico, and are not bound by ADA constraints. They can freely recommend what their experience has taught them is good for the patient. My previous dentist (in the US) recently mailed me his "newsletter" which included his "warning" about e-cigs, mostly ANTZ disinformation from the media ... :blink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread