Wisdom teeth.... dumb question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCVapes23

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2017
So I had three teeth extracted on Tuesday. Two wisdom teeth and one molar. My question is ... when Can I vape? I have no pain at all just soreness . I’m eating normal and everything and my mouth is not swollen or anything. Tomorrow will be 48 hours since I had them out. I know about dry sockets and all of that so I don’t need any “ oh you’ll get a dry socket “ comments. I’m seriously just wondering if anyone else on here has had their wisdom teeth out and when they started to vape again after . Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradder

Am I Chip or am I Dale?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2011
North Carolina, USA
How long was it recommended that you not smoke? This should be on the post-op paperwork somewhere.
The major problem with smoking post-op, which is the same as using straws, is the slight vacuum made. One way to ease this with vaping is to adjust you AF so the vape has an easier draw.

Frenchfry1942 is correct. Vaping can also cause a drier mouth. So staying hydrated is very important. If allowed by the doctor Act mouthwash and/or the prescription-strength Previcid toothpaste can be useful.

drmarble

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2014
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
When I had four cracked molars extracted I used a very wide open draw atty (for me, I like mtl) with high strength nicotine (36mg/ml). I took very few and very gentle hits. This got me the nicotine I require to be a tolerable human. Everything healed up fast.

Vapefiend

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Connecticut
I had all 4 wisdom teeth taken out when I was 18 and still smoking cigarettes. I lit up a cigarette as soon as I walked out the oral surgeons office..yup gauze and still bleeding... I was careless. I ended up with 4 dry sockets soon after. If you have a craving maybe a few puffs to hold you over here and there until more healed.

Reactions: stols001

Possum64

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I have had lots of extractions over the years and the recommended time to wait before you 'smoke' is 72 hours - according to the post-op paperwork. Any suction in the mouth is not recommended during those three days, as this is the peak time to develop a dry socket.

Having said that, I vape GENTLY, less frequently, and with a higher nicotine content the day after an extraction.

Best of luck!

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I smoked after extractions with no problem. Just don't suck hard. I really doubt if any smokers follow that at least until after they've had dry socket.

Recently I vaped after extractions. You can literally blow on my tank's air flow from a distance and have clouds come out of them. I wasn't worried about it at all.
If you have a tight airflow I would treat it like smoking and don't suck hard.
The dental surgeon nurse who knows what vaping is told me not to vape. I didn't listen. If you don't listen to the dentist it is your fault and you'll have to go back and admit it so keep that in mind when you aren't listening.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
The short answer is "yes", whether smoking or vaping I smoked right afterward -- usually in the car going home. A real diehard, If I was still all numb my mouth was all droopy and I still smoked and/or vaped stabbing around trying to find my mouth. :) .

Thank God I never had a dry socket - I heard they are awful. I had always smoked right after extractions. My trick was similar to @QcVaper - a piece of sterilized gauze that is dampened with water - and I would fold it over to make a few layers and gently place it over the extraction area.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed I was still smoking analogs -- I did the same thing as I mentioned above and sort of very gently - VERY gently I repeat -- closed my mouth in the back over the gauze and smoked away. I was more worried about the smoke irritating my open wound and causing issues.

I also puffed gently and kept my mouth open a bit ---- I know not very attractive!

I had some dental work since vaping and I did the same thing without any problems.

We are not doctors so it is against medical advice. And my gauze trick might not work for you. I asked my dentist about his recommendation with vaping and he told me it was the same as smoking and suggested I refrain for 2 weeks (yeah, right) and at the very least to try to hold out for the first 48 hours.

I looked it up long ago and believe that the first week especially the first 4 days are usually the most dangerous period for something bad to happen. Since you have held out a bit -- maybe you can hold out a few more just to be safe.

I never did ---

Also, I went and bought clove oil before my extractions. That is what dentists use to pack your mouth if you get a dry socket. It is one of the only things that relieves the pain. I was paranoid that it would happen to me on a night or weekend (my luck) so I purchased it just in case along with a bunch of gauzes but never had to use it. I like to be prepared.

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
To get you nic fix without vaping, you can do what some people do during long flights when they can't vape. They put a drop or 2 of eliquid under their tongue every so often. The nic will be absorbed there. That obviously won't satisfy the hand-to-mouth action need, but at least you'll be getting the nic you require to hopefully not be loony-tunes!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
About a decade ago I had 24 extractions and bone shaving for dentures (my teeth were going to die anyway, and I couldn't afford 24 root canals, and THEN getting dentures.)

I was not ABOUT to get dry sockets it was bad ENOUGH. I decided to avoid my mouth entirely but I also ah, really NEEDED to smoke. I decided on nasal smoking and the husband the engineer rigged me up a nose smoking drill that used the power of the drill turning somehow (I was a bit hazy on events) and it shot smoke straight up my nose, which I then inhaled into my mouth, and exhaled through my nose. I had to stick a lit cigarette in one end. etc.

Similarly when I had a ton of mouth surgery, I nasal vaped. Not in public and I was in no shape to GO anywhere either, so I just used a MTL device (my preferred device) and a very long SNIFFFF and inhaled into my lungs and out my nose.

It avoided the suction issue entirely and also did NOT introduce nicotine into my mouth, which is ALSO inadvisable for healing. Seriously, it worked great, the sinuses are great "absorbers" of nicotine and etc., it is not my PREFERRED way to vape by any means, but I will say, it worked.

You can try it if you have the inclination and not everyone does. Otherwise, I'd use a very wide open device where you barely have to inhale. You are still bathing your wound in nic so I'd say covering it with gauze pads and whatnot may be advisable.

I got a bit of dry nose but nothing major and (IMHO) it is the safest way to do it. As always, your mileage may vary and etc.

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: CagedSpam

LewisW295

ECF Veteran
Jun 21, 2015
South Glamorgan, Wales
4 wisdom teeth out a few weeks ago.

Your told not to smoke as nicotine impedes healing.

My advice? Use something that isn't a tight draw and draw lightly on it at best. I was using mine 5 minutes before going under and 30 minutes after. No ill issues with dry socket. Stay hydrated as well.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
We are not doctors so it is against medical advice.

What???
I don't think I've known any smokers who followed the Dr's advice about not smoking for anything. At least vapers can make concessions, like 0mg and airy draws.

Otherwise, I'd use a very wide open device where you barely have to inhale.

I just tried it with my Themis and basically an open mouth on both sides of the drip tip and breathing still did pretty good. It was the same technique I used in October with SubTank and TFV4.
I think if a dentist could see someone vaping like that they'd say it was OK as far as the suction problem goes.

Reactions: Possum64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread