Vaping and Dry Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
Honestly, I can't wait until I'm at a point of having them all out. I don't have the money for implants like I wish I could get (despite the pain and trouble that'd be involved) but even a BAD pair of dentures would be appealing than my teeth.

And I WISH I simply had ugly smoker's teeth. Like I mentioned above, my molars are all breaking. My front teeth are what I find most embarrassing. Similar to my aunt, my gum line has receded a bit. And all of my front teeth are decaying along the gum lines due to it. Some are simply discolored along the gums, and others actually have gaps forming where they've eroded along the gums.

So rather than looking like smoker's teeth, mine look more like .... addict teeth. I've perfected the art of smiling and laughing without showing them. I have two relatives (a sibling and their significant other) who were .... addicts... ruined their lives completely, and they're just now getting things together. For the sake of their children they finally decided to enroll in rehab and are doing much better.

But when the three of us smile standing next to each other, our teeth look just alike, except they're missing more than I am. And I've never in my life even been around that kind of stuff, much less used it.

So yeah, I'm honestly quite envious that you've already gotten your bad teeth out and have a smile you don't have to hide.

And thanks for the advice, that's actually how I was hitting my ecig when I first began using it a few hours after the extraction. I started closing my lips around the driptip last night, but I'm still not pulling hard at all by any means, and I've still got the airflow adjusted to be wide open.

Honestly, the way you describe it, it sounds to me like you are at the point where they need to all come out. My teeth too weren't just smokers teeth, the teeth that had had root canals 30 years prior were breaking off at the gum line. The first couple teeth that did that and I was freaking out. By the 5th or 6th that did that and we'd be sitting having dinner (at home) and I'd quietly spit the tooth out in my napkin and not even say a word about it to my wife, although I think she caught me doing it every time but never said anything. For me the last straw was my 4 front upper teeth, they were the last 4 teeth that I had had root canals done to but I never had them finished, the original dentist did the root canals but also wanted to cap them but I ran out of money 30 years ago so never finished them. Well 3 years ago those 4 started to turn dark and then middle of last year I was eating some corn on the cob and baby back ribs and three of the four front teeth just basically broke off, and I was left with my "snaggle tooth" (one bucktooth left). It was that time that I finally decided that I had to get it done. I had originally thought to get implants, but my mother had an accident and slipped in my step brothers room many years ago and came down slamming her mouth into the footboard of his bed breaking out all of her front upper and lower teeth, so she's got implants and good God, you've never heard a person complain about so much pain in their teeth as she has complained. She's had nothing but complications with all of the implants year after year so that totally turned me off of implants and decided to go with dentures instead. Turns out not such a bad thing the dentures, as long as their fitting good, they then sit tight and once you get over whistling your S's I think it's hard for people to really be 100% certain whether you have dentures or not when you have a good pair. Unless of course they knew you when your front teeth were black or something like that.

My teeth were so broken off everywhere that I had to choose where I was going to chew food, sometimes the left side molars were in so much pain I couldn't chew on that side (what teeth were left over on the left), so I'd have to balance my food between two teeth on the right side molars because the molars in front of and behind those two teeth had already broken off, so I'd have to use my tongue to balance the food between those two molars to chew it up. Took me ages to eat dinner, I'd still be chewing while everybody else was ready to move on to desert.

The first dentist I went to told my mother (since it's the family trust fund that pays all family members medical issues) that I had the teeth of a crack head. She took that to mean literally that I was doing crack or whatever it is they do. This upset me so much that I never went back to that dentist as I don't do and never have done crack or crystal or coke or anything like that. I asked the second dentist if it looked like I had a crack heads teeth. He told me that while my teeth are really really bad, there are certain signs that a dentist can see that will definitively tell him if the person has a crack head mouth, or just severly decayed teeth. He told me that my mouth does not show any signs of being the mouth of a crack head.

Good luck with your dental issues, hope it all works out for you.

Edit: I just thought of the one major downside to dentures... I get denture adhesive all over my drip tips. I don't mind the adhesive in my mouth but for some reason it really freaks me out when I see a light coating on my drip tip after taking a vape. Now I carry around disposable alcohol wipes and when ever I notice any adhesive on the drip tip, I break out an alcohol wipe and give it a good rubbing to remove any adhesive residue.

Last edited:

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Honestly, the way you describe it, it sounds to me like you are at the point where they need to all come out. My teeth too weren't just smokers teeth, the teeth that had had root canals 30 years prior were breaking off at the gum line. The first couple teeth that did that and I was freaking out. By the 5th or 6th that did that and we'd be sitting having dinner (at home) and I'd quietly spit the tooth out in my napkin and not even say a word about it to my wife, although I think she caught me doing it every time but never said anything. For me the last straw was my 4 front upper teeth, they were the last 4 teeth that I had had root canals done to but I never had them finished, the original dentist did the root canals but also wanted to cap them but I ran out of money 30 years ago so never finished them. Well 3 years ago those 4 started to turn dark and then middle of last year I was eating some corn on the cob and baby back ribs and three of the four front teeth just basically broke off, and I was left with my "snaggle tooth" (one bucktooth left). It was that time that I finally decided that I had to get it done. I had originally thought to get implants, but my mother had an accident and slipped in my step brothers room many years ago and came down slamming her mouth into the footboard of his bed breaking out all of her front upper and lower teeth, so she's got implants and good God, you've never heard a person complain about so much pain in their teeth as she has complained. She's had nothing but complications with all of the implants year after year so that totally turned me off of implants and decided to go with dentures instead. Turns out not such a bad thing the dentures, as long as their fitting good, they then sit tight and once you get over whistling your S's I think it's hard for people to really be 100% certain whether you have dentures or not when you have a good pair. Unless of course they knew you when your front teeth were black or something like that.

My teeth were so broken off everywhere that I had to choose where I was going to chew food, sometimes the left side molars were in so much pain I couldn't chew on that side (what teeth were left over on the left), so I'd have to balance my food between two teeth on the right side molars because the molars in front of and behind those two teeth had already broken off, so I'd have to use my tongue to balance the food between those two molars to chew it up. Took me ages to eat dinner, I'd still be chewing while everybody else was ready to move on to desert.

The first dentist I went to told my mother (since it's the family trust fund that pays all family members medical issues) that I had the teeth of a crack head. She took that to mean literally that I was doing crack or whatever it is they do. This upset me so much that I never went back to that dentist as I don't do and never have done crack or crystal or coke or anything like that. I asked the second dentist if it looked like I had a crack heads teeth. He told me that while my teeth are really really bad, there are certain signs that a dentist can see that will definitively tell him if the person has a crack head mouth, or just severly decayed teeth. He told me that my mouth does not show any signs of being the mouth of a crack head.

Good luck with your dental issues, hope it all works out for you.

Edit: I just thought of the one major downside to dentures... I get denture adhesive all over my drip tips. I don't mind the adhesive in my mouth but for some reason it really freaks me out when I see a light coating on my drip tip after taking a vape. Now I carry around disposable alcohol wipes and when ever I notice any adhesive on the drip tip, I break out an alcohol wipe and give it a good rubbing to remove any adhesive residue.

See that's actually what I was saying in regards to mine looking like those of a drug addict. ECF edited the word I used but it was the second word in the full name of crystal.

And yes, a dentist can definitely tell a difference (and that's insane that your dentist said that, I'd have been offended as well). But sadly, the majority of people don't know or can't tell a difference, and that's why I keep them in hiding to the best of my ability.

I've heard implants involve a lot of pain as well. My grandmother had all her top teeth removed and her dentures fitted in, and went to work the next day.

I'm sure once I get it done, I'll have some form of residue on my tips as well. But I'll probably try this powder that my grandmother has had great success with this far.

FinchX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2012
Texas
Just giving an update....

It's currently Saturday morning. I got my tooth extracted Monday afternoon, and thus far no problems with dry socket.

This whole time, even now, I've kept my Nautilus and Kanger Aerotank Mega's airflows set to be wide open. And up until two days ago, I was keeping moist gauze packed over the extraction point.

And like I said, knock on wood, but following these precautions have kept me from getting a dry socket so far, and I'm fairly certain I'm at least to a point where I'd have to put some fairly major stress on the area in order for one to develop now.

Just thought I'd mention this as an update to any fellow vapesters who get any form of extraction work done.

Rabbit Chaser

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2013
San Jose, CA
FinchX - Like you, I have horrible dental DNA. I went through braces for five years and bad yellowing from antibiotics as a baby...my mom wouldn't let me play soccer because she was afraid all me teeth would be knocked out. So she put me through tons of fillings, root canals, crowns, etc. Five years ago at 40, I had a badly infected front tooth and said to heck with it - pull them all (tops) and got a denture. Best thing I ever did. I am now biding my time until I have the bottoms done (gums are receding from years of smoking). I didn't qualify for implants....I had lost too much bone due to smokers gum disease and bone grafts aren't notorious for being successful, not to mention I can't afford implants even if I wanted them!!! Honestly, the denture, now that I am adjusted, doesn't even feel uncomfortable. And people always tell me what gorgeous teeth I have!

Hope you heal quickly!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread