Vaping and "French Inhaling"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demarko

ECF Veteran
Dec 15, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.twinrosesoftware.com
I convinced my mom to finally get a PV today - she takes occasional "puffs" off mine, and is now convinced it will work for her. But she "french inhales" her cigs... Which is where you draw in the smoke, then inhale it through your nose. It's strange, but it works.

Anyway... I'm wondering will she get her nicotine this way, or is there too much exposure to air before she actually inhales it?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
This sounds, umm, naughty...

Not sure how it's possible though. With my physical equipment, which I assume is standard, I can't inhale it through my nose unless I insert the ecig in one nostril, close the other one, tighten up around the inserted ecig, then sniff. I just tried this, and it works, but it's kinda weird and not entirely satisfactory. Also, I don't think I could do this in public. A hot flavor produces much eye-watering, as well.

:) :)

Maybe you mean to mouth-inhale, then fully inhale, then breathe out through the nose - as against inhaling direct to the lungs? It's said that the mouth-lung-nose method will increase nicotine intake as vapor is more efficiently absorbed in the mouth and nose than in the lungs, due to the larger particulate size compared to smoke, and the way that nicotine is bound within the PG/VG mix. The particle size in vapor is said to be ten times larger than that in tobacco smoke. And, if you spill e-liquid on the skin, it is absorbed far less efficiently than pure nicotine.

There are numerous ways to inhale vapor. Holding it in the mouth first, then exhaling it through the nose, is said to be the most efficient for nic absorption. But it's all a matter of taste:-

1. Inhale direct to the lungs, exhale through the mouth.
2. Inhale direct to the lungs, exhale through the nose.
3. Inhale to the mouth, then to the lungs, exhale through the mouth.
4. Inhale to the mouth, then to the lungs, exhale through the nose.
5. Inhale to the mouth, then to the lungs, wait, exhale through the nose. (Thought to be the most nic-efficient.)
6. Inhale to the mouth, then exhale. (Cigar style.)
7. Puff repeatedly, inhale to the mouth occasionally, exhale. (Pipe style.)
8. Inhale shallow, direct to the lungs, exhale quickly through the mouth. (Nervous vaper.)
9. Pre-puff repeatedly, then as any of the above. (User of less-than-efficient mini ecig.)
...ad nauseam.

Whatever floats your boat. You can't OD on nicotine unless you choose to, and it's not pleasant so people tend not to do so. Much like drinking cup after cup of high-strength coffee, or shots of whisky, most soon stop. Enough is enough - what is pleasant in small amounts ceases to be pleasant.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I do this all the time. Draw into the mouth, like a cigarette, throat closed, then push the tongue forward while inhaling through the nose. If the juice is strong nic, you will get a delightful tingle in the nose. Might even make you sneeze! The nasal passages are known to be able to absorb nic very well. Also, a very slow exhale through the nose is not only a great way to get some of the nic you are exhaling, but its also a great way to better taste the flavors of the vape.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
The vapor is being drawn into the mouth and then pushed out like you would liquid in and out through a straw: the tongue is closing off the throat, there is no lung-pull here, only tongue pull. While pulling the vapor into the mouth with the tongue exhale through the nose, then push the vapor out of the mouth with the tongue and inhale through the nose. The vapor should exit the mouth and go right up the nose. Then I slowly exhale back through the nose after the french inhale. Lots of nasal absorption. Does especially well with the thick VG vapors we favor, Roly. It took a bit for me to get the hang of it, but well worth the effort. Granted my training was on analogs, but one never knows when skills can be used in new applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread