Vaping and pulled teeth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the suction into your mouth that gives you the dry socket... I wouldn't recommend smoking anything, I got dry socket after I had my wisdom teeth pulled, 3 of them were fine and healed within the first week, but the one that got dry socket took a couple weeks to heal and I had to go back a couple times to get it repacked with that stuff they put in it... and dealing with that annoying pain in the back of your mouth for a couple weeks sucks... I'd go with a nicotine patch if I had to do it again... I was smoking analogs at the time.. but even if I was vaping I and I had to get some pulled again I would be smoking or vaping anything..

Last edited:

mylose64

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2011
Savannah, GA
It has to do with the vacuum. Cigarette smoke is not the real problem. You are not supposed to drink out of a straw either. Right now your mouth is trying to form a bloot clot in the spot your old tooth was. If this clot somehow gets damaged or dislodged, there will be no protection covering your jawbone and the nerves at the bottom of that hole.

I think I waited 5 days, but took the occasional puff by keeping my mouth open and inhaling. That's one of the major pros to having a manual e cig; you don't need to create a vacuum to inhale vapor. Make sure you inhale on the opposite side of your mouth. I read a lot online two weeks ago when I got mine pulled and it said that after 5 days your chances are very very low, but not gone, so if you can wait until then you will be good. I didn't do this though, although I probably should have just to be safe.

My friend who is a smoker, said to put wet guaze over the extraction site when you smoke or vape, but I never tried it and decided to do what I mentioned above.

Don't do it too much because from what I've heard dry socket is one of THE worst pains you can get. The risk is just not worth it.

T0rtitude

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2012
NYS
Smoking, vaping, fountain drinks, etc. are all forbidden. It's basically playing Russian Roulette to do so and not worth the risk. That being said, covering the hole(s) with clean gauze each time you want to "suck something" works for not dislodging the blood clots. Not that I'm advocating it lol.

Edit:
My friend who is a smoker, said to put wet guaze over the extraction site when you smoke or vape, but I never tried it and decided to do what I mentioned above.

It does work. I did it after having wisdoms pulled. I suggested it to my husband and it worked for him also. But like I said before, I'm not advocating it because for all I know we just got lucky. Actually, iirc, I used wet cotton balls. Hubby used gauze. Both worked. No dry socket. We both healed quickly and painlessly.

Last edited:

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I had 2 wisdom teeth pulled in the last year. I vaped through both of them. The first one got a dry socket and took several weeks to get to the point of no pain. The 2nd time around I vaped very gently. I tried to kind of close off that side of my mouth with my toungue and squishing my face a bit and toked out of the side of my mouth very very gently. Its a risk no matter what you do, just try to be careful and I would imagine you'd be fine after 2-3 days. Good luck!

RoseB

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2012
Washington
So far so good. My Vivi has a pretty light draw though. How does one know if they are getting dry socket?

Lots of pain. Oh wow this thread is making me cringe ugh yuck! Had a few teeth pulled over the years and still smoked. Just thinking about it is making my toes curl ugh. The moist gauze thing works I tried a wet tea bag and that helped. Good luck!

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I had two teeth pulled right next to one another a few months ago. They were both in high-risk location for dry socket. I chose not to smoke or vape for at least 48 hours, as I was advised. I made it about 51 :p

I did, however, put a drop of e-liquid on the other side of my mouth a few times during that time. That was a bit irritating to the mouth, though. I was very careful after that, when drawing.

Anyway, mine healed in average time, even though I've been told that nicotine inhibits the healing process of the tissues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread