The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Wisdom tooth removal and vaping?

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by Dunkelheit1349, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dunkelheit1349

Dunkelheit1349 Full Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Hello everybody! I'm new here, I've creeped around here before but finally decided to make an account. I just got my wisdom teeth pulled exactly one week ago today. Starting the third day I was inhaling through my nose. Drip tip up the nose... Yep haha. Anyways, the nic hit isn't the same. I'm dying for a legit vape over here!! Has anyone had there wisdom teeth pulled and vaped? If so how long did you wait? When can I start because I don't want to risk dry socket! People have told me I should just give up nicotine altogether now but I doubt I could. I probably could... But I like vaping. I was actually going to reward myself on friday(pay day) with a new mod and some juice :) haha. So yeah, is one week a long enough and safe enough time to start vaping again?

2. Baditude

Baditude ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    The only person who can answer this question is your oral surgeon, not faceless people on the internet.

If you so miss the nicotine, get some Nic patches or nasal spray for the short time you won't be able to vape or drink from a straw.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Big Me

Big Me Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2014
    England
    I had an extraction last year but it wasn't a wisdom tooth.

I waited until the anaesthetic wore off (two hours?) and did gentle, moderated lung inhales - slipstream air along with vape. It's the suction that causes problems.

After a week, I reckon it's safe to vape again ;) I mean, when I smoked and had a wisdom tooth removed I don't think the recommendation was more than 24 hours...

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbrandt01

dbrandt01 Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2014
    Alabama
    My mom had 2 teeth pulled and they said 1 week no smoking. I assume the same would be for vaping, but she also had a week follow up later for stitches to be removed. Just call your dentist office and ask. I'd rather be safe with that when it comes to help after your wisdom teeth coming out. I for one am not a doctor or a dentist. I'm not going to suggest something that I'm not sure of except for calling the dentist office.

5. tj99959

tj99959 ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Well I had dry sockets after all 4 wisdom tooth extractions, and it was no fun!

Stick a patch on your arm to get you through the cravings.

• Like Like x 3
  6. r77r7r

r77r7r ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Please report back...

7. Dunkelheit1349

Nov 16, 2015
    Yeah I am probably going to give it a few more days. Thanks for the input guys!

• Like Like x 1
  8. empteeteacup

empteeteacup Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    @Dunkelheit1349 My understanding of wisdom tooth removal is that you can't create suction in you mouth lest you get dry sockets. As long as you open up the airflow, do lung hits, and exhale through the nose, I think you should be okay :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. cllmda

cllmda Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

You should do a search on the site because there have been MANY many interesting threads on this subject,Im sure it would be helpful for you to read through them all .

I remember one poster saying that their dentist had told them "well,I tell all my patients not to smoke afterwards but I know they WILL....SO I tell them to practice damage-reduction by taking a gauze pad and tons of vaseline and protecting/covering the extraction areas with that before taking a few puffs.."

After a week though Im sure you should be ok -most people are told 48-72hrs- if you go at it gently but Im not a dentist and it may also depend on everyone's personal circumstances.

Good Luck & best wishes for your recovery...youve been through the worst of it now anyway ;) !!!

PS : sorry...I keep saying "dentist" but it should be "oral surgeon"

• Like Like x 1
  10. WharfRat1976

WharfRat1976 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    DRY SOCKETS ARE REAL. If you suck, drink through straws, smoke, etc. The capallaries have a harder time healing and coagulating which can result in a dry socket. If you have never had a dry socket after a tooth extraction it is something you would do ANYTHING to avoid. If you are a week after the extraction you are most likely in the clear as proper coagulation takes place in 3 to 5 days. This can be undone though resulting in the dreaded dry socket. The pain of a dry socket is absolutely excruciating. Think the movie Deer Hunter kind of pain.

• Like Like x 2
  11. EBates

EBates Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 4, 2013
    Texas
    I can't speak specifically to vaping but while I was still smoking I smoked after oral surgery to remove two wisdom teeth one of which had to be removed in two pieces. Smoked on the drive home.
    About three years ago had full mouth extraction and 4 implants installed, smoked on the drive home.

It's the suction not the smoke that causes the issues. Too hard of a draw can dislodge the packing and/or blood clot in the extraction site.

• Like Like x 2
  12. madangus

madangus Super Member ECF Veteran

May 10, 2015
    Chicago-land
    I stopped smoking during my recovery, got a dry socket at 2am day 3. Of course had to wait till 9 for the fix. I was pretty much ready to go to the next world. Worst pain ever.

Probably by a week your fine but if theres any doubt just use a patch or something seriously. Not worth even a 1% chance.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dunkelheit1349

Nov 16, 2015
    Yeah you guys are right, I think I will tough it out until the end of the week to be safe. To hell with them dry sockets!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Canadian_Vaper

Canadian_Vaper Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    Wasn't my wisdom teeth but had one of my back teeth pulled due to a root cracking and getting infected months later. Basically what I did was open my airflow all the way and took very very light puffs, I'd suggest getting stronger juice as well so you don't need to as much.

Its suction you want to avoid so even just holding your lips close to the drip tip but not touching it you can get a half a vape with no major suction.

15. mattymatt82

mattymatt82 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2012
    Kansas City
    I would go ahead a vape carefully, but that is just me. I have had a dry socket before and they suck!

16. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    I had a dry socket once from a simple extraction.

I would rather go w/out nicotine than EVER (and I mean EVER) go thru that again. For me it was way more painful than any periodontal bone/gum surgery I've had or anything else in my mouth, actually. Well, except for a skin graft.

17. SpaceApe

SpaceApe Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

There is no pain greater in the world, than the pain you could have avoided entirely.
    This is especially true when it comes to oral pain... abscesses, dry socket, infections.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.