Vaping and weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

budsalinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
Hi, to anyone I just want to post a theory I have. I started vaping again about a month ago and my weight has shot up 10 lbs. I suspect it is because the flavoring chemicals in the ecigs cause my body to release insulin which in turn drops my blood sugar which in turn makes me ravenous, especially for carbs and junk food. These cravings are surprising because I've been Low Carb High Fat Keto for over a year now, and doing great, but this vaping has killed me. Thankfully I intermittent fast as well which is very helpful, but I've been eating all kinds of carbs and I can't talk myself out of it when the urge comes. They use flavorings that when eaten I'm sure cause an insulin response so I believe it happens from inhalation as well. As such I've stopped vaping a few days ago, and the cravings are waning. I am determined to not smoke cigarettes anymore. I hope I can make this work. I just wanted to alert anyone experiencing similar symptoms of hunger and weight gain seemingly brought on by vaping that it may be the insulin. Insulin is a driver of weight gain and heart disease. Good luck to us all to stay away from cigarettes first and foremost. Further luck with the rest. Be well yall.

Reactions: daviedog

dennism

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2015
Maryland
Hi, to anyone I just want to post a theory I have. I started vaping again about a month ago and my weight has shot up 10 lbs. I suspect it is because the flavoring chemicals in the ecigs cause my body to release insulin which in turn drops my blood sugar which in turn makes me ravenous, especially for carbs and junk food. These cravings are surprising because I've been Low Carb High Fat Keto for over a year now, and doing great, but this vaping has killed me. Thankfully I intermittent fast as well which is very helpful, but I've been eating all kinds of carbs and I can't talk myself out of it when the urge comes. They use flavorings that when eaten I'm sure cause an insulin response so I believe it happens from inhalation as well. As such I've stopped vaping a few days ago, and the cravings are waning. I am determined to not smoke cigarettes anymore. I hope I can make this work. I just wanted to alert anyone experiencing similar symptoms of hunger and weight gain seemingly brought on by vaping that it may be the insulin. Insulin is a driver of weight gain and heart disease. Good luck to us all to stay away from cigarettes first and foremost. Further luck with the rest. Be well yall.
If you think it's the flavors causing the weight gain, give unflavored a try.

budsalinger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
If you think it's the flavors causing the weight gain, give unflavored a try.
That, sir, is a good idea. I'm sure it would have occurred to me at some point, although maybe not. I'm not regretful to get away from vaping as long as I can stay away from cigarettes. Thank you for the suggestion.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Sounds like you need to switch ejuice.

A. Move away from sweet Vapes.

B if yoy need sweet Vapes to stay off tge stinkies switch to a Juice that uses Stevia instead of sucralose for the sweetener.

Are you drinking diet soda or tea? Almost all sweeteners caysse insulin spike insulin levels but Stevia and Xylitol.

1998 i was put on Synthroid snd hydrocortizone. These really messed up my metabolism.

At one time i was eating 700 calories a day snde STILL gaining weight.

I found a diet based on the Mediteranian diet.

I started adding foods Rich in MonoUnsaturated Fatty Acids

Nuts, seeds, Avocado, olives, olive oil, black olives. Dark chocolate, etc.

Switch to eating 4 smaller meals a day

I lost 12% of my body weight and kept it OFF while eating 3 times as much food as when i was trying to lose weight.

The human body MUST have fats in the diet (Susan Powter blow it out your ear "Fats do not make you fat!")

By adding healthy fats to your diet your body gets the fats the body needs. And you are not hungry between meals.

I will probably use this diet for the rest of my life!

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Gaining weight when stopping smoking is quite common.

Wouldn't the reason mostly be that your replacing the inhand smoke with inhand food to keep the fingers busy, thats as far as I understand the weight gain. I had some sweeteners in commercial juices get to me after vaping them, so maybe the sweeteners metabolize into fat cells after vaped....I dunno. I never had weight problems after quitting but my sweet tooth didn't vanish but was subsided with sweet juices. I vape tobaccos and do feel like a sweet munchie more than if I'm vaping my cola or grape blends. It could be all in my head but there isn't as much candy and chocolate in the house as there use to be. My wife works in a grocery store and being one of the first few staff to show up in the morning she has pick of the after seasonal candy at big discounts, we use to have halloween candy till easter, then easter candy till halloween...a vicious circle of chocolate. ;)

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Yeah or says they don't understand why they gain weight when they only drink diet soda.

enhanced-buzz-28133-1367269179-3.jpg

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Weight went up 12 pounds.
I have no blood sugar/diabetes.
No changes in my diet.

Expained to my Doctor, vaping & all.
He said I'm getting sedentary/Go work out..

Could be we're all just stting around vaping while watching YouTube video reviews of vape gear.:D

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Ok I have been back to vaping for about 2 months. My weight has not changed. I am vaping nothing but dessert flavors. Guess what I am type 2 diabetic I take my blood sugar between 3 and 6 times a day and my blood sugar has actually gone up a bit not down as your theory would suggest. Increased insulin would lower my blood sugar. I don't think vaping causes any significant insulin spike enough to cause weight gain. But this is based on my own anecdotal evidence just like his.

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida
I'm not sure I believe there's a correlation at all. I've been vaping nearly 6 years, and I vape constantly. I'm a true 'chain vaper'. Over the years, since retiring especially, my weight gradually shot up. I don't believe it was due to vaping; it was due to inactivity. My work used to be quite physical, and since retiring, I spend more time just sitting around. Couple this with the fact that I love to eat; especially things that aren't good for me.
Anyway, I was at a Doctor appointment last June, and the results of my blood work showed that my glucose level was a bit high. Not high enough to be in full blown diabetic category, but certainly pre-diabetic. He suggested I try to reduce my carb intake, and told me to monitor my blood sugar daily, trying to keep it consistently below 100. He gave me one of those meters to monitor it with.
I took him seriously. I did some reading, and decided I was not only going to keep my carb intake low; I was shooting for below 50 per day.
6 months later, in December, I went for my follow up appointment, and I was down 55 lbs. My blood sugar consistently runs in the mid 80s. I have remained at my current weight for the past 2 1/2 months, and haven't regained a pound; even though I have reintroduced SOME carbs into my diet, like multi grain breads, fruits, etc.
Point is, during this time, I never cut back on my vaping at all.

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
Remember, you went from smoking a thing that would deliver approx. 1mg of nicoting per analog (with a plethora of other noxious chemicals, some of which cause your metabolism to increase) to a safer alternative. While it doesn't sound like much, the nicotine in cigarettes is absorbed at a substantially faster rate than the nicotine in your vape. (additives like ammonia and tar act like a jet fuel, casuing your alveoli, the alveolar ducts, and the bronchioles to abosrb the nicotine (and other chemicals) at a much higher rate)

Many of us drank coffee or other caffeinated products while smoking, and the combination was a very potent (yet very harming) appetite supressant. Try increasing the mg/ml in your e liquid...it's more likely than not a causatative side effect of the cessation of smoking. I wonder, if you also quit drinking caffeinated products recently...(do you start your day with a cup of black coffee with a teaspoon of organic grass fed butter and cold pressed virgin coconut oil?)

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
On average, people who quit smoking gain about 10 pounds, according to Trina Ita, Quitline counseling supervisor for the American Cancer Society. Weight gain while quitting smoking can be traced to two factors. First, you eat more. If you're not smoking, you want to put something else in your mouth.

Quitting Smoking Without Weight Gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread