Status
Not open for further replies.

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
Hello everyone! Just wanted to get some feedback! As some of you know, I recently started a new job, and I have been vaping for, well, getting close to 2 years now. I don't want to cause problems at my new job of course, so I haven't even brought up the idea of vaping at my cubicle during my work. I go downstairs and outside and vape outside, and sometimes stealth vape in the bathroom, though that hasn't been working too great lately as it's a public bathroom and sometimes people I work with come in! But vaping outside at this time of year especially, really stinks, because it's been really cold and snowy here in IL, there's not any shelter from the wind and cold - if I get a close enough parking spot, I can go sit in my car, but that isn't always the case unfortunately.

I have been slowly letting people know I use electronic cigs. Haven't mentioned it to my boss yet but was hoping he overheard a convo or 2 I was having with some co-workers. This week a couple saw me outside when they went out for lunch, and one guy was smoking out there, so I told them about it. Another guy that is across and behind me I talked to him about it a couple times, he is a smoker too, and is interested. But there are only 2, maybe 3 smokers in there, most people are non-smokers.

I am nervous as I would love to talk to my boss about occasionally being able to take a vapor puff or 2 between calls, or vaping somewhere INSIDE during my breaks, but I just don't know how to do it AND if it would be a good idea, so I am taking it slow and feeling people out on it, will see how it goes!!!

I was wondering if anyone else was in a similar situation, or used to be, and what happened!! I would love to hear your vaping at work stories! Does your boss approve/disapprove? Are you allowed to vape indoors at work, and if so, how does everyone react?

My last job was at home so it wasn't a prob! But I am wondering, since it's not a place where we are face to face with customers, if they might eventually let me vape inside. That would be sweet!! But I wouldn't want to risk my job over it, of course!

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Where I work we are allowed to vape inside. I didn't really ask because I didn't think it would matter. But one day the general manager found out I'd quit smoking & switched to vaping & he was cool about it. I was headed outside & he said...where are you going? I was so used to stepping outside or going to my car to smoke it hadn't even occurred to me that I could stay in the building. Then I found out there were 2 more vapers that worked there. One uses blu & the other uses green smoke so none of their equipment looks like mine lol! But I just say ask. The worst he could do is say no.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Yeah I understand! I never would've asked. I didn't even think to. I was just so used to going outside anyway. Now I'm just the odd girl out because I don't use any cig-a-likes. It definitely starts up some conversations though. I still always ask the other people in the room if its cool if I vape. Some people are still really ignorant to the whole thing.

finecraft

Jun 7, 2012
New Iberia, LA
My "work family" has always been very supportive of me in my quest to stop smoking, so when I started vaping they were THRILLED and told me to vape away indoors to my heart's content! I ddin't have to ask, they TOLD me to do it! :)

The only request they have is that I:
1. Don't vape my raspberry danish juice in the office because it reminds everyone of their Grandpa's pipe tobacco, and
2. Don't vape my chocolate caramel juice either because it reminds them of burning rope! :)

Everything else has been good! They all enjoy the smell of my pina colada and cantamelon juices. :)

tommyfinger

Juice Tester
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
I smoked for years with my employees in the bakery I manage. When I went to vaping I would go out with them and vape while they smoked. The owner of the store knew I had quit smoking and took up vaping instead. One day on my way in from vaping he says "you know you dont have to go outside to do that, you can do that in the store." Well after picking my jaw up off the floor, I thanked him for allowing me to vape inside. I still go out with my staff once a day but that is more of a way of showing them that I am still one of them.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
I KNOW I should probably just straight out ask lol - but I'm scared!!! :unsure: Appreciate your feedback though, and am going to consider doing that!!

I didnt ask, since my coworker blatantly vaped in front of my boss and he said "You cant do that in here" lol

I think he saw me a couple times, but i held it in and tried to act non suspicious.

I am in a position where theres no way id be fired over it though, so that helps. He would just tell me to cut it out, and id probably not listen lol

morri

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2012
Texas
I no longer work but wanted to share this with you guys... ABout six months ago on my Doctor appt day I was waiting for her in the examining room and I waited and waited. Well, I thought I would just take a sneak vape and she walked in about that time. I just looked up and said, "Hi Doc, it is ok for me to user my vaper in here, right?" She said, "Oh sure, I am just so proud of you for not smoking anymore!" I about fell out of the chair. LOL

Loveridden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2011
Schaumburg, IL
A little update guys: I was Spotlight Employee last week so during our Monday meeting I had to introduce myself and say where I was born and 3 random facts about myself, so now basically everyone knows (it was one of the facts) that I use an electronic cigarette! A lot of people seemed to think it was pretty neat and I was even allowed to demonstrate a puff right there in the meet!! lol.

Later I emailed my boss to ask if it was possible to ever use my electronic cigarette inside and also told him a few things about it, no second hand smoke/cancer, doesn't smell like cigs (I use mostly fruit and dessert flavors, or mints), and why I love electronic cigs and how they helped me quit for good, etc. He is going to talk to corporate about it. He seems really positive about it. His only real concern is doing it during calls when people are listening, he said that people aren't aloud to eat or do other similar things during calls because they don't want customers to hear that and they want to sound professional, I said I can definitely understand that, and even if he just let me puff during breaks indoors, instead of having to deal with whatever weather is outside, that would even be good. I also told him I wouldn't vape away while talking to someone, it could just be inbetween calls or even just my breaks and that would be great too. Later I emailed him CASAA's link too so he could get more info on ecigs.

I don't know if it is going to be allowed to happen, but I'm glad that he is checking into it for me and has a good attitude about it, and everyone else seemed pretty cool about it too, a few people have said to me, even before I brought it up, hey why don't you just use that inside? But I told them I have to ask the boss lol. Either way it's a relief to be completely "out" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread