Vaping Cigar-like experience - possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Hello!

I was wandering if its possible to have cigar like experience with a vape.

I'm experienced with vaping (3 years now), i use series unregulated mod (vaperz cloud stratus), build my own coils (i use Voltrove mini RTA tank),
but vaping is more like smoking a hookah - ie inhaling with lungs.
cigars are puffed with mouth, no lungs involved. (that's basically what i'm going for - inhaling without using lungs, yet still getting a lot of taste)

if what im seeking for is even possible - what gear should i get?
1) what mod type
2) what tank type (my intuition says MTL tank, but i don't know if it will give me the desired effect, im high wattage vaper, i need it to hit hard.)
3) other suggestion (maybe different coil type, maybe more nicotine - i only use 3mg now, but its lung inhalation)
4) juice - if you can suggest a juice that can replicate real cigar taste - please! i would appreciate it very much, as i personally did not find anything reasonably close

my only wishes are:
1) the tank should not be drip tank (i tried, but i could not get along with them, i'm always on the move, i can't add juice every minute)
2) I naturally prefer advance gear - i started with 30W, and after 3 month moved to 150w already - its just the way i am. same with coils - i burn prebuilt coils fast. i prefer to build myself, and service as i see fit.

other than that, i'm open to all suggestions!

Thank You!

Best regards,
Vadim

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Can't speak to cigar flavored juice, but I achieve a cigar like puff by a restricted DL style airflow on a 0.25-0.35ohm coil at about 55-75w depending on desired temp. I get a nice mouth and throat full of vapor, with very little making it to the lungs. With a TC capable coil, I can achieve a quick ramp as well, allowing for quick puffs, which feels very cigar like to me.

My setup, not that it should make a lot of difference, as airflow is most important, is a topside 90w, with either a dead rabbit SQ, or rebirth RDA, as I too can't be bothered to pull out a bottle to drip. As long as you can get airflow as restricted as possible, without compromising the cooling effect, to not burn the wick, you'll get a cigar like vape. When I feel like a big ring guage, I go for the drop dead with dual coils that ohm out to 0.12, which I fire at 150w, with a half second of 200w preheat.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I can tell you what I know and thats not a ton and I am sure others will chime in. I personally take vapor in my mouth only. I enjoy the flavor and taking it my lungs makes me choke. What you are looking for I would think is something like what I have. A regulated mod like the Geek Vape Solo or Legend depending on your battery needs. Unregulated mods are great for DL but not MTL or what some of us call MTE (mouth to exhale). You would need a MTL tank. My personal favorite is the LEMO 2 orr the Silverplay. Both can be run at about 0.5 ohms. I like it airy. Some dont. I also keep my wattage at 13.5. Something that is on the cooler side but wont burn my rayon wick. I dont get huge clouds. You wont get that with MTL/MTE. But you will get to savor the flavor like you do with a cigar. I hope that helps.

Reactions: hairtrigga

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
There are a few here who do that, like @fiddleshe

You may need to experiment a bit to see what works best for you. I would say you could achieve that with most styles - mtl or dl tank’s or RTAs, or a squonk with an RDA if you’re open to that.

Mostly, if you want a higher wattage, you want to look for an atty that has enough air flow to cool the coil. You can normally go with the biggest AF and tighten it down to suit your needs more easily than starting with a restricted AF, which, if it’s not airy enough there’s nothing you can do.

• Agree
Reactions: HigherStateD

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I was wandering if its possible to have cigar like experience with a vape.
Welcome and glad you joined.
Yes and even better, might like to read:
https://vaperanks.com/do-electronic-cigarettes-taste-like-real-cigarettes-no-they-taste-better/
cigars are puffed with mouth, no lungs involved. (that's basically what i'm going for
I believe it's called mouth to nose (retrohaling/MTN), might like to read:
Smoking in Retro-spect: How and Why Retrohaling Works
f what im seeking for is even possible - what gear should i get?
Might like to read:
What size mAh e-cig battery?

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
I vape MTE and don't inhale. The best cigar flavor was Halo's Bella something but they don't make it anymore.
Halo Bella Valente. I'm still sad about that. However, I was gifted a couple very old (very expired) bottles ... rather harsh, but diluted down with unflavored plus a little Ethyl Maltol, it is ok to add to a bit to a tank of diy cigar flavor to add a touch of reminisence of the old Bella Valente signature.

I did, not too long ago, ask Halo if they might release a limited edition of BV, but they said they had no plans to do so (needless to say, they also nixed my request that they just release the recipe since they weren't using it).

Back on topic -- it is certainly possible to have a cigar or pipe like vaping experience. Try an MTL or Restricted Lung atty, and up the nicotine (maybe 12mg/ml or more) to give a stronger hit.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Halo Bella Valente. I'm still sad about that. However, I was gifted a couple very old (very expired) bottles ... rather harsh, but diluted down with unflavored plus a little Ethyl Maltol, it is ok to add to a bit to a tank of diy cigar flavor to add a touch of reminisence of the old Bella Valente signature.

I did, not too long ago, ask Halo if they might release a limited edition of BV, but they said they had no plans to do so (needless to say, they also nixed my request that they just release the recipe since they weren't using it).

Back on topic -- it is certainly possible to have a cigar or pipe like vaping experience. Try an MTL or Restricted Lung atty, and up the nicotine (maybe 12mg/ml or more) to give a stronger hit.
Yes that was it! Bella Valente, I really liked it years ago, was supposed to be a Cuban cigar :)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
You can get e-cigs that mimic the form factor and look of cigars. I'm not so sure you will be able to replicate that actual experience of smoking a cigar though.

It certainly is possible…if you generate enough density along with volume.

IMG_1258a.jpg

Tiger bronze Raiju on an 18650 J.E.M. Stellar (def not the best set or oxidation on this demo) but you get the pic. Definitely doable. A bit of natural patina on that brass mod and you've got serious emulation.

Good lluck. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Well if you have ever smoked a cigar, its definitely like a mtl draw instead of dtl, so a mtl rta has got to be the closest. I would also say the af might be something like in the 1.2 to 1.6mm range with a fast coil. You need something that will heat fast, perhaps a 26g , .6 ohm coil at 20ish watts. Heathers heavenly vapes has you covered with tobacco's, something like legend or huntsman will definitely work and while your at it order dragons fire as it's their best

Reactions: stols001

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Have you actually smoked a cigar?

Whoever wrote the rule that a cigar vape could not be DL. I use wide bore DT's of sev kinds to graduate vaporization rate and ultimately density. While intake is more MTL than DL, it's greater vol certainly as I enjoy a fuller slow nasal exhale. It's not for me a matter of just emulating the draw. Don't really think I would enjoy the experience or even come close with a tank on a variable. Too airy at high power. Nevertheless have been working on it. I'm more pleased with the Juggerknot in that sense and happen to be working on getting a/f right with a pair auth QP's for various tobacco's I mix.

Good luck. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Whoever wrote the rule that a cigar vape could not be DL. I use wide bore DT's of sev kinds to graduate vaporization rate and ultimately density. While intake is more MTL than DL, it's greater vol certainly as I enjoy a fuller slow nasal exhale. It's not for me a matter of just emulating the draw. Don't really think I would enjoy the experience or even come close with a tank on a variable. Too airy at high power. Nevertheless have been working on it. I'm more pleased with the Juggerknot in that sense and happen to be working on getting a/f right with a pair auth QP's for various tobacco's I mix.

I have never in my life seen someone dtl a cigar. If you are a typical cigar smoker and want a similar experience in a vape, dtl tanks are not even close imo...dtl typically means just that, straight to lung and you would seriously need to be hard core to do that. I see what your saying about volume however, so I guess a tight dtl tank vaped mtl might work if your the kind of cigar smoker who likes loose wrapped cigars with the end totally clipped off....I always preferred tighter, slow burning cigars where the end was punched

Last edited:

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
I have never in my life seen someone dtl a cigar. If you are a typical cigar smoker and want a similar experience in a vape, dtl tanks are not even close imo...dtl typically means just that, straight to lung and you would seriously need to be hard core to do that. I see what your saying about volume however, so I guess a tight dtl tank vaped mtl might work if your the kind of cigar smoker who likes loose wrapped cigars with the end totally clipped off....I always preferred tighter, slow burning cigars where the end was punched

I agree, too airy. Better shot with an RDA. However, my point again, there's no reason you can't enjoy a cigar recipe in any variant. It's not just about the restrictiveness or openness of the draw. For me tho the form factor is an important part of the aesthetic.

Last edited:

BaronHarkonnen

Oct 21, 2019
Israel
Wow, so many replies, thanks!
I think I’ll look into MTL RTA, or Restricted DTL. (But probably mtl)

I have regulated mod somewhere, if lower wattage will do the job with MTL Im ok with that. Also using less e-juice is a good thing, because right now I use a lot of juice. About 100ml a week.

Generally I smoked my cigars with totally clipped ends (airy), and preferred medium gauge for the same reason (monte Christo petit Edmundo was pretty much my favorite)

Ive been searching for “best MTL”
Usually Vapefly, Advken, Innokin show up. Also Digiflavor Siren 2.
Any recommendations? What brands to stay away from?

thanks
Vadim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread