Vaping demo INSIDE A FEDERAL GOVERNMENT BUILDING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angela

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2009
Hertfordshire, England
Hey Sludge, why should I have to ask if it is OK for me to do something that is completely legal..... Wow, I would be asking permission for everything I do all day long..... If somebody has a problem with what I am doing or they don't understand they can ask me......
I vape in rrestaurants all the time..... Usually the waitress has a problem with it and gets the manager...... Usually the manager will give me permission unless it offends the other guests....... If it offends, I stop...... Usually it is OK once I explain......
E-Cigs will never be accepted if you keep them hidden all the time...... Just my humble opinion......
Would you also take your McDonalds take-away into a church, sit down and eat it? (Regardless of whether you eat McDonalds or would ever go into a church, I am sure you get my meaning)

There is a big difference between something being legal and being the decent thing to do, and there is also a big difference between hiding it an showing a bit of courtesy to those who may not know what vaping is.

I am Sludge's other half, and I can assure you that we have vaped in MANY public places, but always with courtesy and checking that the management are OK about it (Only the other week, I openly vaped on a public ward during my hospital stay, but I made sure that the doctor and ward sister knew what it was before I did. Had I just started vaping, people's backs would likely be put up before they even got to me to find out about it).

Courtesy costs nothing and we need to be ambassadors until such time as PVs are known quantities to all of the general public, else the 'it's legal' arugument will no longer be available to you, because it no longer will be.

There is a very pro-smoking pub near to us that doesn't permit vaping inside (smoking is not allowed indoors in the UK in any publc building, but they have created outdoor areas that are as close to being indoors a they can legally manage at great expesnse). The reason? Because the first vaper they encountered sat in the bar area and vaped openly without talking to the management first. When confronted by the landlord, their response was that it is legal and they have the right to do it if they want. Landlord's response (undertandably): my pub, my rules, no vaping, get out!

There is a fine line to be trodden here, IMHO. It should't be hidden, but we don't need to try and press buttons either. IMO: don't vape in situations wher smoking was never socially acceptable, and wherever practical/possible, educate the management and check they have no objection.

Last edited:

wrecktangle

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2009
Maryland, USA
As others have said we are pioneers and ambassadors, and should be mindful of others in where and when we vape. Copping an attitude never works, while civility and courtesy will get us everywhere.

That being said, I vape all the time on a U.S. federal facility. But I have an advantage, I'm part of the security force (lol). But I'm discreet about it, nonetheless.

Sludge Van Diesel

ECF Veteran
Sep 24, 2009
Barnet UK
Hey Sludge, why should I have to ask if it is OK for me to do something that is completely legal..... Wow, I would be asking permission for everything I do all day long..... If somebody has a problem with what I am doing or they don't understand they can ask me......
I vape in rrestaurants all the time..... Usually the waitress has a problem with it and gets the manager...... Usually the manager will give me permission unless it offends the other guests....... If it offends, I stop...... Usually it is OK once I explain......
E-Cigs will never be accepted if you keep them hidden all the time...... Just my humble opinion......

Would you also take your McDonalds take-away into a church, sit down and eat it? (Regardless of whether you eat McDonalds or would ever go into a church, I am sure you get my meaning)

There is a big difference between something being legal and being the decent thing to do, and there is also a big difference between hiding it an showing a bit of courtesy to those who may not know what vaping is.

I am Sludge's other half, and I can assure you that we have vaped in MANY public places, but always with courtesy and checking that the management are OK about it (Only the other week, I openly vaped on a public ward during my hospital stay, but I made sure that the doctor and ward sister knew what it was before I did. Had I just started vaping, people's backs would likely be put up before they even got to me to find out about it).

Courtesy costs nothing and we need to be ambassadors until such time as PVs are known quantities to all of the general public, else the 'it's legal' arugument will no longer be available to you, because it no longer will be.

There is a very pro-smoking pub near to us that doesn't permit vaping inside (smoking is not allowed indoors in the UK in any publc building, but they have created outdoor areas that are as close to being indoors a they can legally manage at great expesnse). The reason? Because the first vaper they encountered sat in the bar area and vaped openly without talking to the management first. When confronted by the landlord, their response was that it is legal and they have the right to do it if they want. Landlord's response (undertandably): my pub, my rules, no vaping, get out!

There is a fine line to be trodden here, IMHO. It should't be hidden, but we don't need to try and press buttons either. IMO: don't vape in situations wher smoking was never socially acceptable, and wherever practical/possible, educate the management and check they have no objection.
Thanks to Angela for compiling a (more tactful than mine would've been) reply for me while I wasn't around.

It's the "It's legal, so I can do it where I damn well want" attitude that means that I can't vape in my favourite pub. (Wow that was more tactful than I expected too :evil:)

umop apisdn

ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Wonder how long it's gonna be before they let prisoners vape?:lol:
Sure, give prisoners a 4V Li-ion battery, wait, then find out how they used it to rig an explosion.
Either that, or give them carts with a poison capable of killing them or another if they had enough juice.
As much as I distrust and as much contempt I hold for America's laws, I don't think we'll ever see prisoners vaping. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread