Vaping on pure cotton!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyssaanddrew2017

Jan 20, 2018
Hi, my boyfriend and I enjoy vaping, and I messed up by not reading correctly and not knowing the difference between organic and pure cotton. I notice both of our rda's have been getting very juicy in the mouthpiece which we are inhaling. And the coils just seem to blacken way too quickly!! Just to find out today it's PURE, not organic.. very worried about our health.

Attachments

• IMG_20180119_200424.jpg
    IMG_20180119_200424.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Optimistic
Reactions: madstabber

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Hi, my boyfriend and I enjoy vaping, and I messed up by not reading correctly and not knowing the difference between organic and pure cotton. I notice both of our RDA's have been getting very juicy in the mouthpiece which we are inhaling. And the coils just seem to blacken way too quickly!! Just to find out today it's PURE, not organic.. very worried about our health.
It's unlikely to have been anywhere near as damaging as the cigarettes you used to smoke. Switch over to unbleached organic cotton and it'll be fine.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Id rather drink pure water... organic water ( aka untreated) could be dangerous ;)
They’re calling it raw water now. No, really! My favorite was smartwater. It actually worked: you bought a bottle, drank it, realized someone had gotten you to pay $2 for a bottle of water, and poof! You were smarter.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF I highly doubt vaping "pure" cotton vs "organic" is going to make a huge difference in your health, you haven't irretrievably damaged yourself or anything. Our bodies are used to dealing with an impurity here and there, and "pure" cotton is likely on the safer side than some possible other options.

I'd agree on trying rayon as well which, as long as it's been handled correctly, it's usually fine. I use Sally's 100% cellurayon, which the only thing you need to be careful about is make sure you get the one labeled "100% rayon" or you may wind up with a cotton/rayon blend by mistake. It's forgiving, and I like it because it's easier (for me) to wick correctly, that and it lasts a bit longer than cotton.

I am guessing that it was far more likely to be juice gunking factors that turned your cotton ikky than necessarily the cotton itself. If you use high VG, dark or sweet or highly flavored juices, and/or NET tobacco or WTA e-liquid, you have gunking factors (wattage can make a difference as well, as well as they way that you wick it. I mean, maybe the cotton played a TINY role, but depending on how much juice you were running through your RTA, it may have gunked up more quickly than you were expecting. I really can only get 3 days out of a cotton wick, maximum but rayon lasts me much longer.

In case you are worried about rayon being "synthetic" well it is, in the sense that it is manufactured from cotton, much as paper is "manufactured" by wood pulp. As long as the manufacturing process is clean , rayon is really only a "synthetic" fiber in the sense that it is "extracted" from cotton and etc. So, high quality rayon doesn't seem to pose any major health risks.

Good luck with whatever you decide. But, again, I highly doubt any damage at all by your brief "experiment."

Anna

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
To be honest any cotton you get has or has had some chemical on it, even the organic. There's chemicals everywhere from ground water to rain water. I use cotton bacon or muji pads but if I run out, I'll use a cotton ball out of the bag.

Whatever you feel best with is the best option, just try for unprocessed (bleached or dyed). I imagine cigarette filters are processed to no end and we've sucked through those things for years, lol. I used to worry about it myself, now it's more like meh.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
+1 on Cotton Bacon. That's what I use, and it's very easy to work with, since the strands are linear oriented - makes it easy to "split" the right amount every time. Graham's CelluCotton (actually rayon) is pretty good, too, but a little fussier to use, and for me, takes longer to break in. But extremely cost effective.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, my boyfriend and I enjoy vaping, and I messed up by not reading correctly and not knowing the difference between organic and pure cotton. I notice both of our RDA's have been getting very juicy in the mouthpiece which we are inhaling. And the coils just seem to blacken way too quickly!! Just to find out today it's PURE, not organic.. very worried about our health.
Welcome and glad you joined.
I like rayon wicks because I believe they improve the taste and transfer my juice way better than cotton.
Might like to read:
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/f...er-flow-flavor-saturation-and-nic-hit.561226/

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
To be honest any cotton you get has or has had some chemical on it, even the organic. There's chemicals everywhere from ground water to rain water. I use cotton bacon or muji pads but if I run out, I'll use a cotton ball out of the bag.

To be completely honest, cotton itself is composed of chemicals. Pretty much everything is composed of chemicals, including things labelled Organic. Chemicals are everywhere, and it's not as if you can avoid ingesting them, or would want to. I grew up in the bosom of the "Organic" movement and I feel safe saying that it's a meaningless term without context.

That said, there might be good reasons to prefer "Organic" cotton. Cotton is not generally cultivated with vaping in mind, and some cotton might be treated with chemicals that you'd rather not inhale. That said, even Organic cotton might be treated with them after harvest. Unless you want to trace the entire history of your cotton back to where it was grown you'll have to live with that possibility. But maybe it's less likely with "Organic" cotton. Maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread