Vaping with and ecig plugged into the wall ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No. Why?
Because stupid people in America will do stupid stuff then hire an ambulance chasing law firm to sue the manufacturer, then some stupid jury will award said stupid people a stupid amount of money the ambulance chasing lawyers get the bulk of then the whole thing will go round and round like the wheels on a bus.

Just ask McDonalds, or Winnebego, or the fellow in prison in Va who sued himself for $5 million but because he had no income while in jail sued Va to pay the damages he had awared himself when he lost his case against himself....

Google 'stella awards' for more.

Ok, you’ve stumped the chump – why are people getting sued? Excluding McDonalds….the majority of us know that hot coffee can burn

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
He's suggesting that buffoons would sue after electrocuting themselves and the American courts would award damages. Possible, but I think the main reason is that the market for a non-portable vape is very small. Perhaps the demand for them would be higher if the Middle East hadn't prohibited vaping: imagine a quad-hose vape-hookah system in a lounge lol!

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
He's suggesting that buffoons would sue after electrocuting themselves and the American courts would award damages. Possible, but I think the main reason is that the market for a non-portable vape is very small. Perhaps the demand for them would be higher if the Middle East hadn't prohibited vaping: imagine a quad-hose vape-hookah system in a lounge lol!
Truckers. 12v car adapter
People who vape at their desk. USB adaptor (has to be MTL)

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

But it was a Canadian inquiring. As I am sure you know, we don’t sue, just apologize profusely then exchange Tim Hortons gift cards

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
I'll chime in about this with a caveat.

As far as powering a battery powered mod from the mains power goes, the answer is no. You can use a passthrough and a power supply that provides the correct voltage and amperage. Which is what the Vape Station is.

It can be done quite easily if you have even basic skills with soldering and know how to build an unregulated mod using a mosfet.

I use a homemade passthrough powered buy an old computer PSU. There are many how to tutorials on how to make benchtop power supply out of a PC PSU.

The caveat is that it's not very flexible unless you make the voltage adjustable which adds some complexity.

I'm not going to post any pics here but there are some on the media page in my profile.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Awesome explanation Izan. Makes sense now! I'll just stick with batteries.

I was just thinking about the wall plug because right now my 18650 batteries are almost dead (Samsung INR18650-30Q). Just bought new ones yesterday (Samsung INR18650-25R). The one I have right now , I've only had them for 20 months and already can barely hold a charge. Battery is dead in the morning and I don't think I sleep walk and vape during the night (I hope not lol)

Any Li ion battery will have a charge cycle of 300-500 charges. If those were your only batteries and you charged them daily they lasted you as long as you could reasonably expect. You might want to pick up a few pairs of 25Rs (or whatever your preference for reliable high CDR batteries) and an external charger. You can rotate the sets and one, never be caught without a pair of charged batteries, and two, spread the workload out so they may last you longer as they're not being discharged every day.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
There's little demand for this because batteries are so cheap and work so well.

But in principle, one easily enough wire up a commonly available fixed 5V supply (capable of supplying adequate current) to a simple MOSFET switch board and a 510 connector and vape that. Coil builds for 5V wouldn't be difficult.

Also, pretty much any DNA200-250 board can be made to run off a fixed 12V supply (again, it has to be capable of supplying adequate current).

Vaping directly from USB is pretty much a non-go, unless a person would be happy with less than 10W, which no longer cuts it even for me.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
There's little demand for this because batteries are so cheap and work so well.

But in principle, one easily enough wire up a commonly available fixed 5V supply (capable of supplying adequate current) to a simple MOSFET switch board and a 510 connector and vape that. Coil builds for 5V wouldn't be difficult.

Also, pretty much any DNA200-250 board can be made to run off a fixed 12V supply (again, it has to be capable of supplying adequate current).

Vaping directly from USB is pretty much a non-go, unless a person would be happy with less than 10W, which no longer cuts it even for me.
Point. I used to vape USB passhrough tethers and I really liked them till they inevitably broke. Haven’t done it in a long time though.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA

That's how I do it. On a PC PSU, all the red wires are 5v, the yellow wires are 12v, the orange wires are 3.3v. There are some other combinations that give other voltages.

I just connect most of the red wires together, I save some for USB charging output, for 5v and connect those to the positive output jack. Then connect most of the black wires together for the negative.

There is lots of info in the Modding Forum here and on youtube on how to make a mosfet mod. That info works for a passthrough, you just substitute a connector for the battery.

The PSU that I'm using now will supply around 25 amps @ 5v. Another good thing is that any short circuit will shut down the PSU instantly.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
If you take an RCA style plug... Like a red white pair for a stereo, and chop the tip off so it's level with the trim find, it'll fit nicely in a dse-901 atty. Splicing the other end to a 5v power brick wall wart made for a decent vape back in the day. I assume something similar could be done with a soldier iron and a me h mod... As long as the maths we're done making sure the power source could supply enough amps.

Sent from my XT1765 using Tapatalk

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
A long, long, long time ago I blew up my computer vaping through USB. I strongly advice against. What you can do (and it's what I do) is get a 2A USB adapter and plug your mod into it. Batteries will buffer the power differences between your requirements and the available power through the USB. But better yet, keep a charger nearby, it'll do you a lot of good.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
No. Why?
Because stupid people in America will do stupid stuff then hire an ambulance chasing law firm to sue the manufacturer, then some stupid jury will award said stupid people a stupid amount of money the ambulance chasing lawyers get the bulk of then the whole thing will go round and round like the wheels on a bus.

Just ask McDonalds, or Winnebego, or the fellow in prison in Va who sued himself for $5 million but because he had no income while in jail sued Va to pay the damages he had awared himself when he lost his case against himself....

Google 'stella awards' for more.
Well, thats your problem. :eek: Enjoy.

Meanwhile, in the Southern Hemisphere -:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I'm vaping the Aegis Mini DL @ 35W, 0.3 ohm right now tied to my laptop via USB. Don't think I will leave it plugged in all night, tho.

When you do that, the battery is being recharged via usb. When you hit the fire button, the usb charging temporarily shuts down and the current is supplied by the battery. When you release the fire button charging resumes. The power drawn through the usb is not being used by the board to fire the coil, as 2A won't get you very much. If you leave it like that all day, you're simply topping off the battery all day.

natelivliv

Moved On
Jan 5, 2019
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Spam
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread