Vaping with LiFePO4 (primarily mechs)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
Interest in, and usage of, Lithium (Li) Iron (Fe) Phosphate (PO4) cells (LiFePO4) for vaping --- primarily with mechanical devices --- while low, seems to be growing of late. Perhaps this thread can provide a place for discussing general information, resources, and experiences with respect to vaping with LiFePO4 cells.

First things first: LifePO4 chemistry cells are not simple drop in replacement cells for the more typical cells we use in vaping, and are not really suitable for most regulated or protected mods. LiFePO4 cells have a nominal voltage of 3.2v/3.3v and a maximum charge of 3.6v, whereas our typical lithium cells have a nominal voltage of 3.6v/3.7v and a maximum charge of 4.2v.

Under load, a LiFePO4 cell will put out a voltage around its nominal voltage or a little lower, and thus are not suitable for most regulated mods, or unregulated with protections mods for the simple fact that it runs at a voltage that is at or near the low voltage cutoff of most such mods (on DNA mods, one can (apparently) use the Escribe software to set a lower voltage cutoff point). Additionally, regulated mods don't have proper charging circuitry for such cells, so attempting to use the on-board charging with such a cell would very likely lead to battery failure from overcharging (and perhaps mod damage and personal injury).

Also note: you will need a charger with an explicit LiFePO4 charging mode/setting. I currently use the Xtar VP2, but there are others.

So, what are some benefits of using them in a mechanical mod?

Number one is safety --- the LiFePO4 chemistry is inherently safer than other lithium cell chemistries. Cells with this chemistry are much more resistant to thermal runaway and violent flaming failure (but not immune to such failure). Now, I don't personally think of our regular lithium batteries as unsafe or dangerous in and of themselves --- millions are in use in the vaping community everyday and the small number of mishaps are almost always due to user error, carelessness, or relatively rare mod malfunctions. I examine my cells everytime I remove them from a mod to put on a charger, and everytime I put a fresh cell into a mod, and I rewrap them at the slightest indication of a problem with the wrap, and I will continue to do so with LiFePO4 cells. Still, it's nice to have a safer chemistry cell that also has the next benefit.

Number two is the flat discharge curve --- LiFePO4 cells maintain a much flatter discharge voltage across most of their capacity than do other cell chemistries. This means we can get something more like a constant voltage vape without voltage regulation circuitry. I am getting around a 3 watt drop over about 85% of the capacity of a 2600mah Vapcell IFR26650.

Number three: longer life --- LiFePO4 cells also have longer shelf life, handle sitting at full charge better, and have longer cycle life than other lithium cells.

The big trade-off? Energy density. Simply put, size for size, LiFePO4 cells have lower total energy than our more familiar lithium cells. So we are looking at 1100mah for a high drain 18650 cell, and 2600mah for a high drain 26650 cell. The good news is, you can use a lot of that capacity while getting a fairly stable vape (due to the relatively flat discharge curve).

What am I using?

I began experimenting with LiFePO4 using Vapcell IFR26650 cells in a Chi You Megan mechanical tube mod, and eventually found and purchased a 26650 squonk mod (my preferred mode of vaping). As mentioned above, I am using an Xtar VP2 charger which has a physical switch/setting for LiFePO4 charging. The Vapcell IFR26650 cells are 2600mah and rated at 55-amps continuous discharge, but the only third party testing I've seen tested up to 30 amps, which the cells handled fine.

Test of Vapcell IFR26650 2600mAh (Red)

I am an MTL vaper, in the mid-teens to twenty watt neighborhood. Using a 0.5 ohm coil with these cells I can get about 2250mah of consistent vaping falling just 3 watts (about 21 watts to 18 watts).

More recently I ordered some 18650 LiFePO4 cells (both A123 Systems and Lithium Werks --- Lithium Werks acquired the A123 Systems industrial business in 2018). These cells are just 1100mah and rated at 30-amps continuous discharge:

A123 Systems 18650 cell review:
Test of A123 18650 1100mAh (Yellow)

!8650batterystore has the LW cells, and shows a discharge graph as well:
Lithium Werks 18650 1100mAh 30A LiFePO4 Battery - 18650 Battery Store

I should get the LW cells on Friday, the A123 cells perhaps next week. From the info and discharge graphs I've seen thus far, I expect a slightly lower comparative performance relative to the IFR26650 cells, perhaps giving (again, with a 0.5ohm coil) about 900mah of vaping, falling from about 20 watts to 17 watts. It doesn't sound like much capacity, but with my vaping style, 900mah can see me through much of a day. And, since I always have multiple vapes going, I don't usually use anywhere near 900mah on any single device in a day.

For vapers wanting more power, the IFR26650 look to be the better choice (if you don't mind the size of a 26650 mod), and of course, a series mech is always an option.

I know a few others here are using LiFePO4 cells in mechanical mods, so please join in and share your experience: what cells, what mods, what coils/resistance, and what charger(s) are you using.

I will update when my A123 and LW 18650 cells arrive and I have a chance to try them out.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Nice write up :thumb:

To add, DNA’s have a LifePO4 battery profile that can be set within the Evolv software, which will automatically change the low voltage cut off to 2.5 volts. But to note that every board (DNA or not) has a minimum voltage requirement for the board to operate. The specs for the DNA75C as an example state a min 3 volts. I am unsure if the LifePO4 cell profile modifies this in any way, and have not been able to find any reference on the web (haven’t put too much effort into looking). DNA users interested in these cells should consult with Evolv just to clarify.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
I would add that they seem to yield more than one would expect given their low capacity ratings. That flat discharge curve saves a lot of battery changes, since we tend to recharge batteries long before their charge life ends, due to the quicker voltage dropoff of li-ion batteries. I could add that I don't use li-ion batteries anymore. I use li-mn except when I'm using the LiFePo4. Safer chemistry than conventional li-ion, and also a flatter discharge curve!

A word of caution--I found out, the hard way, that it's not that difficult to overdischarge one. It was a serious non-event, though. The bottom got hot, but not nearly as hot as a more conventional lithium battery. It was already starting to cool when I removed it from the mod. A half hour or so later, it was cool to the touch, and quite dead.

I've been using the Vapcell and the A123 26650's, and have been getting better results with the (less expensive) Vapcells. On the 18650 front, I've been using the LW battery for a week now, and the discharge is as stable as the 26650's. Love it for RDA setups. Reasonably priced, too.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Number two is the flat discharge curve
--- LiFePO4 cells maintain a much flatter discharge voltage across most of their capacity than do other cell chemistries.
This is quite appealing. I vape much like you do (mech squonker, 0.75 ohms on a conventional cell). I've been doing some cell testing of late (my primary interest is aging) and in looking at the discharge curves, I've come to the conclusion that I generally use less than the top 1/3 of of my 2500-3000 mAh 18650s.

So I ordered some LW 18650s and they're waiting for me on my desk up in PA. I have VP2 chargers. I'll need to come up with a 0.5 ohm build to substitute for my usual 0.75 ohms. I've been using the same build (3x30 twisted, 7 wraps x 2mm) for a number of years. It looks like 3x28 would do it, but the downside is a lot more mass, so maybe 6 wraps of 3x29. A single strand of 24 also looks promising, but I don't stock 24..

Number three: longer life
--- LiFePO4 cells also have longer shelf life, handle sitting at full charge better, and have longer cycle life than other lithium cells.
I'll be testing that, but it will be a while (at least a year) until I've got any meaningful data.

The catch with longer cycle life is that my cycles will be far more complete on these than on the conventional Li-ions, so it will be interesting to see how they fare compared to conventional cells after a few hundred real-world cycles.

Last edited:

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
That would normally be the case. For some reason, I just kept puffing on it (RDA with 1.2ohm build), even though the vapor level was low. Suddenly, it just stopped, then started to get hot. So don't vape 'em 'til they quit.

One disadvantage to vaping 98VG is that you don't always notice a drop off in vapor right away. You can blow competition clouds at 7W with my juice.

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
This is quite appealing. I vape much like you do (mech squonker, 0.75 ohms on a conventional cell). I've been doing some cell testing of late (my primary interest is aging) and in looking at the discharge curves, I've come to the conclusion that I generally use less than the top 1/3 of of my 2500-3000 mAh 18650s.

So I ordered some LW 18650s and they're waiting for me on my desk up in PA. I have VP2 chargers. I'll need to come up with a 0.5 ohm build to substitute for my usual 0.75 ohms. I've been using the same build (3x30 twisted, 7 wraps x 2mm) for a number of years. It looks like 3x28 would do it, but the downside is a lot more mass, so maybe 6 wraps of 3x29. A single strand of 24 also looks promising, but I don't stock 24..
24g will do it ... I just rebuilt my Holic RDA to try out on my 26650 squonker: 24g kanthal, 2.5mm, 6 wraps was right on 0.5ohm. Haven't tried twisted on it ... might have to try 27g x 2 and see.
I'll be testing that, but it will be a while (at least a year) until I've got any meaningful data.

The catch with longer cycle life is that my cycles will be far more complete on these than on the conventional Li-ions, so it will be interesting to see how they fare compared to conventional cells after a few hundred real-world cycles.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the LWs ... and eventually, some longevity data.

Reactions: Rossum

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I would add that they seem to yield more than one would expect given their low capacity ratings. That flat discharge curve saves a lot of battery changes, since we tend to recharge batteries long before their charge life ends, due to the quicker voltage dropoff of li-ion batteries. I could add that I don't use li-ion batteries anymore. I use li-mn except when I'm using the LiFePo4. Safer chemistry than conventional li-ion, and also a flatter discharge curve!

Just a quick note...
    LiFePO4, Li-Mn, LiPo, all the cells we use...they’re all Li-Ion cells. They’re different chemistry variants (different cathode materials and electrolyte ingredients) but all use the exact same lithium-ion method of operation.

What LiMn cells are you using? The lithium-managanese-oxide chemistry for those types of cells is pretty rare now as the “hybrid” chemistries (NMC, NCA, etc.) offer better performance (but trading off some thermal stability for that though).

I agree with you regarding LiFePO4’s benefits though. Used in series in a mech they can be quite effective.

Electrodave

LPV
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 14, 2015
    Denver, CO
    www.electrostring.com
    I live in search and rescue central, and Li-Mn batteries are highly recommended by most of the flashlight fanatics I know. I've been using both the AWT and Imren, no problems with either.

I'm not sure what I would do with 6.4V. Hey, what do you think about my little experiment--I haven't told anyone about it yet, because I'd rather not any kids try this at home. The 18500 batteries in LiFePO4 that Westinghouse sells have no current rating on them at all, and I can't find the info anywhere for any of the 18500 that I can find.

At 1100mAh, I'm figuring that the current rating might be as low as 1A. But I like the idea, so I bought some. I've been using them (at around 2A), and carefully monitoring them. No overheating problems so far. In fact, the batteries charge back up just fine, even after such abuse. The life is rather surprising. I also overdischarged one of these. It didn't even get hot. But it stayed at 2.2V, even when I attempted to charge it (just for s&g).

Reactions: stols001

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    I live in search and rescue central, and Li-Mn batteries are highly recommended by most of the flashlight fanatics I know. I've been using both the AWT and Imren, no problems with either.

They’re not Li-Mn batteries though. The China battery companies use “IMR” and “Li-Mn” just as marketing terms or deceptive labeling to entice people to buy their cells based on the chemistry’s better thermal stability. But all of those batteries are NMC or NCA chemistry, not LMO (Li-Mn).

But I’m glad you haven’t had any problems! NMC and NCA might have slightly lower thermal stability than LMO but you still need to get them mind-boggingly hot for there to be any real danger, typically only possible via a short-circuit.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hey, what do you think about my little experiment--I haven't told anyone about it yet, because I'd rather not any kids try this at home. The 18500 batteries in LiFePO4 that Westinghouse sells have no current rating on them at all, and I can't find the info anywhere for any of the 18500 that I can find.

At 1100mAh, I'm figuring that the current rating might be as low as 1A. But I like the idea, so I bought some. I've been using them (at around 2A), and carefully monitoring them. No overheating problems so far. In fact, the batteries charge back up just fine, even after such abuse. The life is rather surprising. I also overdischarged one of these. It didn't even get hot. But it stayed at 2.2V, even when I attempted to charge it (just for s&g).

If they’re working well for you and aren’t getting more than warm then you might not be exceeding their rating.

I recommend not trying to charge overdischarged batteries though as it can significantly increase the chances of something not good happening.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I agree with you regarding LiFePO4’s benefits though. Used in series in a mech they can be quite effective.
    Some of us are tootle-puffers who can get probably get along just fine on 3.2V. :)

jandrew

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2013
    Winnipeg
    Quick update: My Lithium Werks 18650s came in a day early --- I charged up one pair, popped one in my SQ and threw the Holic on it with a simple spaced 24g kanthal 6 wrap 2.5mm build at 0.5 ohms ... working out just fine. I then wrapped a 2 x 27g kanthal twisted 6 wrap 2.5mm build on a Galaxies RDA (0.55ohm) for the Flux with the IFR26650, also working just fine. Obviously can't report on how long/stable the LWs hold up yet.
    Flux-SQ.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread