Status
Not open for further replies.

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Got the Vapor Storm squonker in from FT a few days ago, and so far it’s been a winner. It is unregulated and fires (according to the specs) down to .05. I don’t have any builds that would verify that, but it’s been performing like a champ on my 0.15 to 0.25 builds.

The case is plastic. It’s OK in terms of feel, but a metal case, or a higher quality plastic, would have been much better. But, for $20, I really can’t complain about the case.

Both the front and back doors are removable, making battery/bottle swaps a lot easier for my old hands. They are held in place with very small magnets on all corners. Despite the small magnets, there has been no rattles or shifting when I press on the doors. There are small slots on the base so you can use a fingernail to pop the doors off.

It comes with a decent silicon bottle, but I swapped it out for a Pulse BF bottle. There was nothing wrong with the stock bottle other than the usual plasticy smell. It needed to soak in some baking soda and water for a few hours, so I popped in the Pulse bottle. The Pulse BF bottle fits so well that I kept it in. Plus the orange goes well with the door color. The stock bottle is clear and has a usable capacity of a tad over 6mls.

The 510 is spring loaded and feels very solid. There’s a nice click to the button. The button surround is illuminated (green) and flashes red to indicate various conditions such as low battery, low resistance, over 10 sec puff, over temp, etc. Five clicks to turn it on/off. It also has internal LEDs that flash in various colors when you’re vaping but fortunately, that can be turned off with three clicks. Why do mod makers think flashing lights is a good idea?

It takes an 18650 (with included adapter), 20700 and 21700. I’ve been running it with a 20700 and the battery fits snugly enough to prevent rattle, but is still easy to get in/out. There’s a micro USB port on the back for charging. I prefer to use an external charger, but it’s there (and they include a USB cable) should you want to charge in the mod.

Need to spend more time with it to determine any quirks or faults, but so far it’s been performing well.

storm1.jpg
storm2.jpg
storm3.jpg

stephenwhat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Saint Cloud,MN.
Nice.I've had this in my wish list since they first listed it,but have been waiting for real world user reviews.Looks like it's worth a go for the price.Do the LED lights give any indication of the battery level?And getting off topic,but how are you liking the VLS atty you've got on it?

Reactions: stols001

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
Nice.I've had this in my wish list since they first listed it,but have been waiting for real world user reviews.Looks like it's worth a go for the price.Do the LED lights give any indication of the battery level?And getting off topic,but how are you liking the VLS atty you've got on it?

The light surrounding the button has basic battery level notification. The green will change to a slow pulsing red once the voltage hits 3.5, but still fire. It will flash quickly in red and then shut off once it goes to 3.2.

I like that the low battery indicator light stays on after the button is released – once it hits 3.5, it will pulse red for about 10 sec after the button is released. The mod really wants you to know your battery is low! Granted, it’s unregulated so you’ll know a low battery from the strength of the hit anyway, but I like the effort put into the low battery notification.

The internal LED lights are just for show and don't provide any info.

As for the VLS - love it, for the most part. I’ve been running it with verticals which are an absolute snap to build and wick – easier than any other vertical coil atty I’ve used. Nice airflow for a restricted LH; excellent flavor. My only complaint is that the grub screws are flat heads and tiny. I would have much preferred hex heads. I was concerned about the durability of the plastic cap but so far no problems.

• Useful

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Got the Vapor Storm squonker in from FT a few days ago, and so far it’s been a winner. It is unregulated and fires (according to the specs) down to .05. I don’t have any builds that would verify that, but it’s been performing like a champ on my 0.15 to 0.25 builds.

The case is plastic. It’s OK in terms of feel, but a metal case, or a higher quality plastic, would have been much better. But, for $20, I really can’t complain about the case.

Both the front and back doors are removable, making battery/bottle swaps a lot easier for my old hands. They are held in place with very small magnets on all corners. Despite the small magnets, there has been no rattles or shifting when I press on the doors. There are small slots on the base so you can use a fingernail to pop the doors off.

It comes with a decent silicon bottle, but I swapped it out for a Pulse BF bottle. There was nothing wrong with the stock bottle other than the usual plasticy smell. It needed to soak in some baking soda and water for a few hours, so I popped in the Pulse bottle. The Pulse BF bottle fits so well that I kept it in. Plus the orange goes well with the door color. The stock bottle is clear and has a usable capacity of a tad over 6mls.

The 510 is spring loaded and feels very solid. There’s a nice click to the button. The button surround is illuminated (green) and flashes red to indicate various conditions such as low battery, low resistance, over 10 sec puff, over temp, etc. Five clicks to turn it on/off. It also has internal LEDs that flash in various colors when you’re vaping but fortunately, that can be turned off with three clicks. Why do mod makers think flashing lights is a good idea?

It takes an 18650 (with included adapter), 20700 and 21700. I’ve been running it with a 20700 and the battery fits snugly enough to prevent rattle, but is still easy to get in/out. There’s a micro USB port on the back for charging. I prefer to use an external charger, but it’s there (and they include a USB cable) should you want to charge in the mod.

Need to spend more time with it to determine any quirks or faults, but so far it’s been performing well.

View attachment 718035 View attachment 718037 View attachment 718039

what u think abt this and wismec Luxotic unregulator, prices is just 10 different ....

hazozita

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2013
Virginia
what u think abt this and wismec Luxotic unregulator, prices is just 10 different ....

I really like the way the Wismec looks. While I have not held one in my hand, it certainly appears to be a much more solid and substantial box than the Vapor Storm, plus it has a more attractive appearance.

The cons for me for the Wismec are the bottle system and the ability to use only an 18650. The bottle system is being changed (according to Wismec) to a silicon bottle without the metal stem, which would eliminate that con, but no word as to making it 20/21700 compatible as is the Vapor Storm. I've been really enjoying using 20700s in my mechs and unregulated mods, which pushed me toward the Vapor Storm over the Wismec.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
I really like the way the Wismec looks. While I have not held one in my hand, it certainly appears to be a much more solid and substantial box than the Vapor Storm, plus it has a more attractive appearance.

The cons for me for the Wismec are the bottle system and the ability to use only an 18650. The bottle system is being changed (according to Wismec) to a silicon bottle without the metal stem, which would eliminate that con, but no word as to making it 20/21700 compatible as is the Vapor Storm. I've been really enjoying using 20700s in my mechs and unregulated mods, which pushed me toward the Vapor Storm over the Wismec.

Mike (mikevapes) did a video on a hack to the Wismec mod. He just took a Dremel tool and cut off the tube. Can't remember the silicone bottle he used, but it fit perfectly. Really turned out well.

Still, like the Vapor Storm mod too.

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY

bsidb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2012
Leroy,NY
Mike (mikevapes) did a video on a hack to the Wismec mod. He just took a Dremel tool and cut off the tube. Can't remember the silicone bottle he used, but it fit perfectly. Really turned out well.

Still, like the Vapor Storm mod too.
I did that to one of my Drip Tech ds that had the metal tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread