Status
Not open for further replies.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2009
Chino California
Background. I was squonking a number of years ago and gave it up. Primarily because I didn't like rebuilding and regulated Squonkers weren't available.

Fast forward two years ahead and the landscape has changed. At least two Rda that use installable Coil assemblies exist. The Ijoy SRDA and the Coral Maze. Both are excellent Attys.

Then in addition a number of Regulated Squonk devices have hit the market.

I always like to have a backup unit so I ordered a Ijoy Capo and a eleaf Squeeze 2. I chose these because of the low profile of the units. Fast forward 3 months, the Ijoy started firing and the only way to stop it was to pull the battery. The eleaf fell out of my pocket and the magnet on the bottom fell out. I ended up fixing it.

So I needed to buy a backup/main APV. The Dovpo Topside kept coming up and even though a little more expensive from others I picked up one. They had a Red Splash Special and I think that I bought it as much for the exterior than anything else.

My first impression wasn't so good. I filled up the bottle kinda overfilling and when I squonked bubbles came out. I think there was a hole in the hose because I substituted the 2nd bottle and it worked perfectly.

I'll start by outlining the only negative of this APV, that it's bigger and bulkier than the eleaf Squeeze. But you can't have everything.

This unit is the first (Arguably) that allows you to fill the squonk bottle without having to take the bottle out. Thus the reason for it's name Topside. The bottle comes in a sled with an open top and you just fill it like any bottle. The one drawback is that the top part is opaque so it's easy to over fill. But aside from that this Topside Feature is awesome.

Rarely have I vaped on a APV that is so well thought out.
1. The button is very clicky and there is a rim around it that would stop liquid from getting into it if a spill
2. The Squonk Bottle is the perfect consistency you squeeze it and it's firm and squeezes in and firm enough to immediately suck the liquid back. Some units like the Squeeze 2 have a bottle that is too loose and takes time to suck back.
3. The squonk inside assembly is rock solid. Liquid effortlessly is squeezed out and sucked back in.
4. The button is clicky and the chip accepts the presses with precision. Some squonkers I have to press the button 7 times and hope that it will turn ON/Off this chip set / button just works
5. Locations of the buttons. It took a little time to get used to it but it's quite intuitive to squeeze the bottle on the front and use my thumb to press the power button on the back. Some like to flip it around and feel like it gives a little flair
6. Boost and Buck chips- This boosts and bucks so that you can vape at any Wattage that you like. The Ijoy Capo only had a buck chip.
7. like the mechanical experience it has a bypass mode.
8. The cap on the fill bottom is precision and quite easy to screw on and off. Thoughtfully they make it magnetic and you can stick it to the bottom of the unit to fill. Very slick
9. Simplicity - I'm not a TC Guy so I love that it comes without TC and is upgradeable through the Micro USB Port which thoughtfully can also be used to charge the unit.
10. The charge works in pass through mode so you can charge and use the APV at the same time
11. The squeeze mechanism is so smooth that I don't have to check if liquid has been injected into the atty. Usually I have to check because other APV are not this precise
12. The bottle holds a massive 10ml of liquid
13. The bottle has a sleigh assembly so you can interchange bottles in a flash.
13. The screen is large and easy to read.

So what are the negatives
1. Size - a little bulky and tall
2. The screen and vent may allow liquid spills to get into the APV. I think one person had that happen to them
3. It's pricy at around $70.00
4. It's inexpensive a precision APV for under $100.00. The workmanship and attention to detail is excellent

Overall well played VC and Dovpo, this is a well thought out well constructed APV that if you can get around the size is a great choice.

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Be careful not to overfill.
    There is a hole that is open to the electronics. You can see it with the bottle removed, inside at the top on the screen side.
    Also if you insert a full bottle keep the mod and bottle vertical.
    If they are tipped there is a possibility juice can find it's way into that hole.
    This is for the single battery, not sure about the dual.

niczgreat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 5, 2009
    Chino California
    Boy I'm bummed. I treated this APV very gently. Bottom hinge broke on the left side. It's still usable but for how long. ?
    What gets me is that I suspected the hinge could be a trouble point so I made sure to be very gentle on it.

Once I get my backup APV in I may try to warranty it. If it has a warranty.

puffon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Boy I'm bummed. I treated this APV very gently. Bottom hinge broke on the left side. It's still usable but for how long. ?
    What gets me is that I suspected the hinge could be a trouble point so I made sure to be very gentle on it.

Once I get my backup APV in I may try to warranty it. If it has a warranty.
    That's not good. Where did it break on the hinge pin side, or the small tabs that the door locks into?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread