Status
Not open for further replies.

SP013

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Hello ECF,

Today’s review will be about the new vaporesso Gen S kit.

When receiving this kit I thought it would be an upgraded version of one of my favorite mods, the original Gen. To my surprise the mod did not change functionality and appearance wise, even checked with Vaporesso. The only difference of the Gen S is that there are new colors, Gen S is written on the bottom of the mod, and it comes with a new tank NRG-S. The reason why it is called Gen ‘S’ is simply because the tank is called NRG-‘S’. For that reason, I will be pasting my Gen mod review here with new pictures and take a more in-depth look at the new NRG-S tank.

Some specifications from the Vaporesso website (link GEN S » Vaporesso):

In the Box:

1 x GEN S mod
1 × NRG-S tank (8ml)
1 × GT4 Meshed coil
1 × GT Meshed coil
1 × Extra glass tube (5ml)
4 x O-rings
1 × Micro USB cable
1 × User manual
1 x Warranty card

Have to say that Vaporesso improved their packaging with this kit. Before it was always quite hard to slide open the box as the top of the box was so tight to the box. Now it opened very easily.

Review:

Gen mod:

What a beauty of a box it is, I just love the simplistic look of it, no crazy colors or unnecessary design details. Very happy to see I got the red/black one as I like this color combination the most. There is very limited branding on the mod which I like a lot.

This mod is light to start with, 107 grams without batteries is feather-light to me compared to my other box-mods. Also, it is quite small for a dual 18650 box which is nice. Even though it is mainly made from plastic it really feels comfortable in the hands. The side patterns give it a very nice grip and it does not feel slippery at all. Edges are nicely rounded making it ergonomically.

Battery door stays in place very well with strong magnets, it is easily removable because of a tiny gap on the bottom of the mod for easy access. It never came off by itself and it does not rattle or move while holding.

510-connection is proper, my atomizers however don’t sit tight to the base, there is a very tiny gap between the mod and atomizer, I would say about 0.5 mm. It takes a 26mm tank without overhang which is OK for such a smaller size mod.

Navigating through the device is easy, like the fact there is 3 navigation buttons, the middle one being the ‘confirm’ button. Getting into the menu takes 3 clicks (found out myself that holding the confirm button also works) on the confirm buttons and then it’s a matter of using the up and down button. The navigation buttons are placed well, and they do not rattle. The fire button is well located and is a comfortable fire, it does rattle a bit though. What I also would have liked to see is a metal fire button making it a more premium feel, now it feels a bit cheap. Don’t have so much of an issue with that on the navigation buttons as they are smaller.

On the main screen I am missing the puff-counter, to see it you need to get into settings where you can display and reset. That is probably due to the smaller screen and limited space. Nice addition is that you can adjust brightness on the screen.

It has so many functions you might even get lost into it. I personally only like using VW ECO mode and the options in DIY mode. The Smart TC works well, but I am not able to figure out how to set the wattage, I guess it does that as well automatically depending on the resistance.

The ECO mode gives you about 10% longer battery life, got 270 puffs on 70 watts on ECO mode vs 240 puffs on regular DIY mode wattage. You do feel a minimal drop in performance when in ECO mode. It is also quite cool to be able to set auto eco, it will automatically set it to ECO when the battery level drops under a certain level.

PULSE mode works, but it does not have a significate difference compared to regular VW, you do feel its in PULSE mode, but the flavor or vape experience does not necessarily increase.

TC control works well, it is however a bit annoying that I do not see the wattage level on the screen itself, I need to hold the up and down button to see it and adjust it.

For those who are into VV, it is available, I myself did not test that out as I am not really into that and to be honest not even sure how to use it properly.

Some of the modes I find not necessary, such as the SP mode in this mode, it will support broader resistance range from 0.03Ω to 5Ω, which is adaptive to mainstream RDA tanks. I do not vape at such low resistance myself, so I don’t see much use in it, and I think that most vapers don’t vape at such low resistance on a regulated box mod.

Firing speed is impressive, it really hits quick and hard. The VWH is useful if you want to have a harder direct hit, or VWS if you want to take it easy.

Unfortunately, the mod does not have a dual battery indication, so you are not entirely sure if the batteries are drained equally. Because of this whenever you get under 25% you might end up being at the low battery hard stop quickly due to one battery being fully drained. This is probably the largest con I have for this device.

This mod supports 2.5A quick charge, I did only charge it for some minutes to see what it looks like. I do not see much reason to add 2.5A quick charge

NRG-S tank:

First thing that stands out to me is its 8ML capacity, it really makes a difference not having to fill it up regularly.

The tank itself fits the Gen S mod very well, it has the same textured design. I like the looks of this tank, nothing crazy.

Taking apart the tank is easy for cleaning purposes, and I like the fact they shaped the coil like a bolt making it easier to get proper grip to place or remove the coil.

Fill-system is very comfortable, the arrow on the top-cap is well visible and the tank slides open easily. Did not have any issues with it opening by itself, it clicks in place very well. Fill-port is large enough for larger-tip bottles.

One of the main downsides of this tank is that it has a 510-driptip, while I would have expected 810 with such high-wattage coils. You do feel the vaper being more concentrated and warmer, in some cases too concentrated because of that drip-tip and smaller chimney. 810 would have made it a lot smoother vape, I think.

Airflow ring turns smoothly, but I do have a feeling that the sleeve could have been larger. This tank will not give you very airy airflow. Especially in combination with that small chimney. Maybe if the chimney would have been larger and the drip-tip 810 it would have been better. Also depending on the coil, it is quite a loud airflow. With the dual-coil GT4-Meshed it is louder than with the GT Meshed.

Coil options there is, plenty, from regular round-wire to ceramic and mesh. In the kit you get the GT Meshed and GT4 Meshed, so those are the coils I have tried. Not sure why, but the GT4 Meshed its cotton is brownish, also in the additional pack of coils I got. Might be because it’s made partially out of wood pulp, but other brands with woodpile coils are not brownish.

These coils do perform very well, the flavor is fantastic on both the GT as GT4. Flavor on the GT4 Meshed (dual) is slightly better, but I still prefer the GT (single) coil. The reason is that the vape feels and sounds much smoother due to the limited airflow and small chimney. Both coils deliver dense and large clouds, of course depending on the wattage you are vaping.

Conclusion:

The mod has been one of my favorites since I received the original Gen. A very sleek, light and comfortable mod with tons of functions.

NRG-S is overall a nice tank that delivers very good flavor and dense clouds. With its 8ML capacity you don’t have to be busy refilling often. Tons of coil options make it a tank for many vapers. Downsides are the 510-driptip, small chimney and to me slightly limited airflow.

Pro’s:

GEN S

- Ergonomically
- Small and lightweight
- Battery-door keeps in place very well
- Many functions/modes
- Fires up rapidly
- Overall design, it looks simple but nice
- ECO is a nice addition and gives you 10% more battery life
- Easy to navigate
- Small, but clear and bright screen

NRG-S

- 8ml capacity
- Very good flavor and dense clouds
- Easy refill
- Coil options
- Easy to take apart
- Bolt shape coils for easy replacement

Con’s:

GEN S

- Fire button could have been tighter made from metal
- In TC you cannot see the VW level, you need to hold up and down to see and adjust
- Puff-counter missing on main screen view
- No dual battery indication

NRG-S

- 510-driptip and small chimney
- Airflow could have been looser

Thank you for reading, take care!

SP013

Reactions: bigbob2322
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread