• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Vegatable Gardens or Mini Gardens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
Today! I should have left the yellow and red on the vine until after the photo.
tom3.jpg

Wow I didn't think they would get this big LOL.
I have a black thumb. I am from the city and never had a garden I had a cement patch for a yard.
My bonus daughter was raised in Brooksville on a 10 acre horse farm, she is always planting something but lets the weeds take over. She use to plant here all the time till she moved back to her Mom's. Now she is back here and has a small garden in front of the house. It is extremely over crowded . She spent 3 hours today taking stuff out and putting it in pots. It is nice to see her maturing enough to actually take care of it.
My bright idea was to get one of those hanging deals, so mine is hanging down about a foot now with nothing on them yet. I think my planters are over crowded too. I suck at growing things.

Last edited:

Nyxie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2009
Port Richey, Fl.
I love gardens of all types.
Fortunately, my partner is an amazing gardener because while I truly love the end results, I don't care much for the actual gardening part.
Here's a link to some of my photos of our gardens last year. This year promises to be even better.
Images

vape On!!!!!

Those are some beautiful pics!

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
Just water every day..they drain out most of it, so you can't over water.them and feed them! I watch for suckers too...those are the little branches that form in the Y of a branch. The real plant always forms branches in forks. like a Y but if you see a new branch coming up in the middle of the Y..pinch it out. Those are called suckers and they don't grow any tomatos, they just use up resources and take up room. Like a third arm.
Mine are touching the ground now..we need to lift then with something of the ants will take up residence!

I meant to add since I have lived in St, Cloud I have plated at growing things nd having chickens. But I am a city girl at heart! My first MIL showed me how pickeles were made. I was shocked to find out pickles were cukes first!

Last edited:

blueeyekelly

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
all ove the USA
I meant to add since I have lived in St, Cluld I have plated at growing things nd having chickens. But I am a city girl at heart! My first MIL showed me how pickeles were made. I was shocked to find out pickles were cukes first!

Ok you almost made me spit my bagel all over the monitor... I guess country girls just know these things...LMAO

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Ok now I am curious MaryKay... what did you think pickles came from?

Oh and thanks to you we now have a Tomato and Pepper hanging garden!

Don't pick on MaryKay cause she is not alone...I thought pickles came from special little cucumber plants (named Vlasic or something like that). :D
I just found out this March that they actually have to be picked when they are small or they keep growing and get too big for the jar and don't taste like little sweet gerkins midgets at all.

SuZamme

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Uh Oh! It's beginning to get out of hand! We are eatting the tomatos as fast as we can..but they just keep coming! I have 4 more to plant yet!:p

I love your hanging gardens idea. Sounds like it's time for you to make some tomato sauce.

I might try your hanging garden thing just because we get so much water our tomatoes often rot before they ripe. Maybe this will work out in the middle of the sunniest spot which gets maybe 6 hours of sun a day before the shade from the trees strikes.

I have picked 2 1/2 gallons of strawberries in the last 4 days...they like the water. Yum, Yum.

Kimerpuff

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2009
CO, USA
www.OneStopDIYShop.com
It was totally by accident when I poped the wheelies on the tractor, thats my story and I am sticking to it! :p

Course I loved poping wheelies with the neighbor kids mini bike! We would trade, he would ride my horse and I would ride his motor bike. His mom put a stop to that after catching me pop a wheelie down their drive way. :oops:

I really am curious what MaryKay thought they came from, pickles that is.
It is interesting finding out what peoples perceptions are from diffrent backgrounds.. I usually pick on her with peanut butter! :ohmy: hehe

Growing up, my mother would can alot of stuff! So I learned early.
We used to have tons of tomatoes!! We would make spagetti sauce from them (no meat) and tomatoe sauce then can it.. Sure made supper easy mid winter when you just went down to the cellar, grabbed a quart of spagettie sauce and added in ground beef. Any sauce you make from tomatoes would can up nicely I am sure :D

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
The worst canning experience I had growing up is the one year my mom decided to try canning sauerkraut. She had about a dozen jars canned and put them out on the screened in mud porch. A day or 2 later we heard what sounded like multiple explosions from the back of our house. Every single can exploded! Imagine sauerkraut flung at great speed at screen, it embedded itself in the screen to such a degree that no matter how much we cleaned a lot of it was still there 3 years later when we moved. The smell of sauerkraut was still there when we moved too :).

Mary Kay

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
West Tampa Fl.
LOL! That was funny Kelly!
The thing is I never thought about where pickles came from! Pickle Vines I guess. I thought the pickle juice was just how they tasted when raw~!

You can't eat beets raw by the way! I nearly broke a tooth..ouch!

But on the other hand, my in-laws were amazed we could open and eat oysters right from the gulf and I could catch blue crabs with chicken necks and a net. They loved my grilled flounder..that my FIL caught and I cleaned and cooked.

So each to their own region and skills. BTW I was born in Denver and lived as an adult in Cheyenne..know all about Rocky Mt. Oysters..pass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread