Vegetable Glycerin From Whole Foods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
Interesting. I don't seem to have an issue with pg, but I have thought about minimizing it or eliminating it before. Good to know.
Since i stopped using PG I haven't really seen a difference but that's because I'm only using Capella Green Apple, Ethyl Alcohol Base. Which tastes great and I know the alcohol is helping to thin the VG but once I'm doing 100% VG with the Real Flavor Concentrates, I think I might have a problem with the thickness so either I'm going to take some VG and a tiny bit of Distilled Water and Magnetic Stir it so it gets completely mixed to the VG to thin it out a little bit or just add a tiny bit of Ethyl Alcohol to it to thin it out. Either way I can't wait till i get them :)

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
VG is used in lots of common products. They used to have a product called "corn huskers lotion" It's mostly VG because it doesn't irritate skin that has minor cuts (common with people that shuck corn) VG is also great for enemas (mixed with water) Commonly used for pet enemas (saved our old cat's life) I doubt it would harm you to use that for a short time but yes, you should not use anything that doesn't say USP. I first got my VG from the drugstore (very good quality) but crazy expensive for a small bottle.
Ya, I checked the Walgreens down the street and they didn't have any Glycerin but when I went to the Pharmacy they said they had Pharmaceutical grade VG but it was almost $15 for a tiny 8 oz. As soon as she said it I walked away lmao out loud, screw that i will never pay that much for some tiny bottle that will last me maybe 4 days at most

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I was thinking no more than 3% so it doesn't cause leakage
All depends on your wicking I suppose, vape gear / style. I think I've seen some people can use up to 10% distilled water. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but some still use 70%pg mixes, maybe that's comparable. How thin do you want it.
As far as adding alcohol, I'd worry about adding harshness. I breathe and steep a lot of my mixes to get rid of things like that.
This is not advice, just talking. You have likely already been looking into this beyond my experience.

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
All depends on your wicking I suppose, vape gear / style. I think I've seen some people can use up to 10% distilled water. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but some still use 70%pg mixes, maybe that's comparable. How thin do you want it.
As far as adding alcohol, I'd worry about adding harshness. I breathe and steep a lot of my mixes to get rid of things like that.
This is not advice, just talking. You have likely already been looking into this beyond my experience.

Ya, I've been doing a lot of reading since I had my idiopathic urticaria go crazy on me and I had to start seeing an allergist again which I hadn't seen since I was like 11 and I'm 34, I kept it under control for years but didn't know I was allergic to propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol until I switched to vaping. I had to get rid of analogs cause they were really starting to make me feel like crap if I wasn't smoking natural tobacco.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Ya, I've been doing a lot of reading since I had my idiopathic urticaria go crazy on me and I had to start seeing an allergist again which I hadn't seen since I was like 11 and I'm 34, I kept it under control for years but didn't know I was allergic to propylene glycol and polyethylene glycol until I switched to vaping. I had to get rid of analogs cause they were really starting to make me feel like crap if I wasn't smoking natural tobacco.
That's about the same age I got into vaping, same thing, towards the end of a night I'd be wheezing a bit and feeling not great in general. I had already tried to cut down but ended up chain smoking ultra-lights. I actually have a minor heart issue which the cigs were making noticeable also.
Fortunately for me, a few of my in-laws had been vaping and making liquid a year or more before I started. They hooked me up with all their old stuff. And here I am 6 years later and zero smoking. Of cigarettes. And I've been making liquid for over 2 years. I love thinking about all the money I've saved.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
BTW to everyone I use the Nord 2 & Nord X, great replaceable coil pods systems & RPM RBA Coil but I still gotta find the perfect type of coil wire to use cause regular round kanthal wire isn't great flavor-wise.
This is the only type of wire build I talk about, cause it's all I've been doing for a while, but one thing you could do without much trouble or cost is twisted wire with a flat wire and round wire, or even 2 round wires (or more than two :) But I don't know if anything like that would be good for you to use, I'm not familiar with those setups.
Flat wire brings it with flavor, and twisting it with another wire creates a lot of surface area to vaporize juice and adds stability to the coil as well. It's easy to do at home, though. I do it with a heavy oversized coffee cup and a pair of pliers, that's all. And wire, you almost got me there ha. I cut lengths of whatever wire I want to twist up, put them together and wrap one end around the coffee cup handle and hold the other end of the bundle of wires up in the air with pliers, then spin the coffee cup and keep spinning until the wires are twisted pretty tight together. Then make coils from that.
If you are using just one gauge of wire, you can just cut one long length put half through the handle, then hold both end with the pliers and twist em up.
Have to remember though that you will be lowering the resistance of the final coil, because it has more mass, double or whatever the amount of metal.

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
That's about the same age I got into vaping, same thing, towards the end of a night I'd be wheezing a bit and feeling not great in general. I had already tried to cut down but ended up chain smoking ultra-lights. I actually have a minor heart issue which the cigs were making noticeable also.
Fortunately for me, a few of my in-laws had been vaping and making liquid a year or more before I started. They hooked me up with all their old stuff. And here I am 6 years later and zero smoking. Of cigarettes. And I've been making liquid for over 2 years. I love thinking about all the money I've saved.

My asthma started getting bad and then I started just feeling like crap in general from analogs so that's when i returned to vaping and kept with it and solving the Allergic reaction problem so I could continue to keep with it. I've felt 10 times better since I stopped smoking cigarettes and I don't plan on going back, it's been 4 months now since I quit and I can say that I have never felt better

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
This is the only type of wire build I talk about, cause it's all I've been doing for a while, but one thing you could do without much trouble or cost is twisted wire with a flat wire and round wire, or even 2 round wires (or more than two :) But I don't know if anything like that would be good for you to use, I'm not familiar with those setups.
Flat wire brings it with flavor, and twisting it with another wire creates a lot of surface area to vaporize juice and adds stability to the coil as well. It's easy to do at home, though. I do it with a heavy oversized coffee cup and a pair of pliers, that's all. And wire, you almost got me there ha. I cut lengths of whatever wire I want to twist up, put them together and wrap one end around the coffee cup handle and hold the other end of the bundle of wires up in the air with pliers, then spin the coffee cup and keep spinning until the wires are twisted pretty tight together. Then make coils from that.
If you are using just one gauge of wire, you can just cut one long length put half through the handle, then hold both end with the pliers and twist em up.
Have to remember though that you will be lowering the resistance of the final coil, because it has more mass, double or whatever the amount of metal.

I was thinking about twisting the 24 g wire I have with my drill and a coffee cup held between my legs(I'd use a vice but i didn't install 1 in this house yet) to do a twisted wire because i bought these wires from element vapes website and they aren't bad but a little big so i had to rewrap them

Attachments

• 20201027_022334.jpg
    20201027_022334.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I was thinking about twisting the 24 g wire I have with my drill and a coffee cup held between my legs(I'd use a vice but i didn't install 1 in this house yet) to do a twisted wire because i bought these wires from element vapes website and they aren't bad but a little big so i had to rewrap them

Oh, heck yeah, that's my stuff. Not the coilart brand, I just twist it myself. And that is another issue with a twisted coil versus a single round wire, it takes up more space. But you should be good to experiment with all kinds of wire combinations around that resistance range.
In my profile pic the coils are mixed twisted with a .2x.08, and two 26g wires. I think. I've been using those coils most of this year and I can't quite remember. Dual coil resistance is 0.21 so each coil is about 0.42. Those are in a Zues X tank I run at about 66 watts.

Tweak401

Sep 2, 2020
Ma
Oh, heck yeah, that's my stuff. Not the coilart brand, I just twist it myself. And that is another issue with a twisted coil versus a single round wire, it takes up more space. But you should be good to experiment with all kinds of wire combinations around that resistance range.
In my profile pic the coils are mixed twisted with a .2x.08, and two 26g wires. I think. I've been using those coils most of this year and I can't quite remember. Dual coil resistance is 0.21 so each coil is about 0.42. Those are in a Zues X tank I run at about 66 watts.

Nice, ya I've loved the range at around .4 between 25 to 30 watts but the only thing is there isn't a lot of space in the rpm rba coil so I'm going to have to experiment a bit once I get my check tho I think I should be fine as long as I use a 24g wire I should be able to make a bunch of different types of coil

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Nice, ya I've loved the range at around .4 between 25 to 30 watts but the only thing is there isn't a lot of space in the rpm rba coil so I'm going to have to experiment a bit once I get my check tho I think I should be fine as long as I use a 24g wire I should be able to make a bunch of different types of coil
Wire can be pretty cheap. I would suggest getting some 26 gauge or even 28g if you want to get your resistance higher. Mix it with the 24g or use more strands of the thinner wire. And flat wire.
Small warning with 24g, since it's thick it can be a little harder to work with, springier, harder to get a small tight coil.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Twisted wire can come out in some interesting patterns.
If you want to try something fancy but not really great to vape on, you can make a chain link looking twisted wire by twisting two wires together one direction, then twist those with another wire in reverse. The first two open up as the third is wrapping around them, looks like a necklace chain. Again, not great to vape on, hot spots galore, but fun to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread