The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vendors who steep.

Discussion in 'General E-Liquid Discussion' started by bebop.rocksteady, Jul 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. bebop.rocksteady

bebop.rocksteady Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 4, 2013
    Panama City, FL, USA
    Do you folks know of any vendors that steep their e-liquid prior to shipment? Maybe I'm just being THAT guy but it seems that if a juice required steeping to give a proper representation of the product it ought to be done BEFORE it's in my mailbox. Who wants to get something yummy in the mail and stick it on a shelf for a month? Anyway. Thanks in advance.

2. Zipslack

Zipslack Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 26, 2013
    Wesson, MS, USA
    NicQuid pre-steeps theirs, but they are a big lab/supplier. Most small operations won't be able to let stuff sit on shelves. However, if you order from FastTech, by the time it gets to you, it's probably steeped!

3. Carla Sebrina Spahos

Carla Sebrina Spahos Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    Oklahoma
    As a new vaper (going strong for nearly a month), I know I'm not alone in wanting more pre-steeped liquids. New vapers don't usually have a supply of steeped juices on hand while they wait for their new orders to steep. Personally, I think more sellers need to realize that they might be putting new vapers off of their juices by not having at least their more popular flavors steeped.

I don't quite get why this is made out to be such a huge deal. Why not make at least premix a gallon or so a couple of their most sought after orders. Advertise it as such and they could get away with charging a bit more for the pre-steeped. Holding on to a few gallon (mabye 6-10) jugs of premixed flavors does NOT take up that much room. Limit purchases to a certain amount at a time.

Maybe I'm over simplifying it. I can see why some of the bigger retailers would be unable to do this, but there's plenty of mid to small sized sellers that can do this.

4. bebop.rocksteady

May 4, 2013
    Panama City, FL, USA
    This is the problem. I've been vaping for years so this is a matter of impatience for me. But new vapers... how many of you have nicotine cravings every three weeks and are synced up with your juice shelf? Seems like this should be addressed industry wide.

5. gthompson

gthompson Free at last Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    It's just simple math.

Vendors who offer a lot of customization, PG/VG ratios, nic levels, added flavoring, etc would need a warehouse the size of a small city to keep that amount of inventory in stock. It just isn't cost effective, there's no way they could afford the warehouse space.

Most of these people are Mom and Pop outfits.

6. Tanrichguy

Tanrichguy Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 2, 2013
    Rochester, NY
    I am a week into vaping and I feel your pain on the steeping issue. That said, I have identified an all day flavor (RY4) so I have quickly built a stock of that juice. I then bought a bunch of other flavors and have them steeping now. Some of them need some time IMO, a few were ok to vape right out of the mail and they were custom mixes.

7. bebop.rocksteady

May 4, 2013
    Panama City, FL, USA
    Well thanks for your input but I'm sure no one is naive enough to think that someone would steep a custom blend before shipping. A basic line of steeped e-liquid is not unfeasible. 4 nic levels and no options. This would be cheap (just the cost of a relatively small amount of space) and would greatly benefit the new people who are presently cracking open their new juice and vaping gym socks that are labeled as their favorite flavors because they don't have the luxury of steep time.

8. bebop.rocksteady

May 4, 2013
    Panama City, FL, USA
    I was an Ry4 enthusiast for the longest but the inconsistency drove me away. I need to find a good one again. I do miss that sweet smooth tobacco.

9. gthompson

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    Those vendors are out there. Buy you some Dekang juice from China. Lots of vendors sell it.

10. jimbol

jimbol Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 19, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Johnson Creek steeps their stuff before selling. I believe Halo does as well.

11. Altaire Versailles

Altaire Versailles Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Detroit MI
    I don't know this for a fact, but from taste 5 pawns seems to pre steep also. I heard that from somebody but i can't find that verified on the site. Going by the taste though, they definitely seemed already worked out when i got them.

12. gthompson

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    Lots of juices need little or no steeping anyway.

13. basylica

basylica Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 5, 2013
    Dallas, Tx
    one of my fav juices is standard vape's cellblock4, it's pre-steeped as are a number of the gourmet juices (jameson's, ben johnson's, 5 pawns, etc)

Tend to be pricey however and you can't customize.
    Still, i'm happy trying out a bunch of MBV flavors (I tend to waffle between an almost absent flavor and a flavored juice all day) and splurging on a bottle of CB4 once in awhile :)

14. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    have any of you guys considered the idea that steeping is just all in yer heads?

i've gone ahead and done a few blind tests with my eyes closed with steeped juice versus non-steeped juice on the same equipment with my wife firing the devices for me, and on about 20 juices i could only tell the difference in one of them

this was a rather complex naturally extracted tobacco

i think steeping is way overblown

ive been at this for 2 years, i mix some of my own stuff and have tried tons of flavors from a number of places, it doesnt make much difference, this steeping stuff

15. Hippieangst

Hippieangst Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    Statesboro, GA
    Both orders I got from FivePawns, the bottles were about a month old.

16. Caridwen

Caridwen ECF Moderator Senior Moderator Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 15, 2011
    Yea, I think steeping is somewhat overblown. I don't notice a huge difference. Bad liquid stays bad and good gets a little better. Possibly more important for tobaccos or more complex liquids.

If you want liquid pre-steeped order from someone that doesn't let you select PG/VG ratios and doesn't make it to order. Many of those suppliers out there.

17. Hippieangst

Hippieangst Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 30, 2013
    Statesboro, GA
    I think you might be right on this. Whenever I get a bottle, I let it sit open (cap and tip off) in a dark spot overnight just to let it breathe a bit. That seems to make a good difference.

18. the_vape_nerd

the_vape_nerd Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 20, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    i've talked to a number of people via email and other ways who actually make the juices...people like Wlad at Ahlusion and Don over at BWB, and the one guy from Vermillion River about steeping

to most of them they agree it's way overblown, they do agree that a few days or so can give a tobacco flavor a bit of time to mellow

but all 3 of these have told me not to steep with the cap off

Wlad states emphatically that his aromatic tobaccos require no steeping at all, probably because the tobacco has been in whatever liquid he's using to extract it for a considerable amount of time

so anyhow, i think steeping is way overblown for 95% of juice out there

some people will come on here and show photos of how their juice darkened over time, they are right anything with nicotine in it is going to darken over time, this is the nature of nic, but it doesnt mean the flavors are becoming more melded together or anything

19. gthompson

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    Many of the juices in my rotation I can vape walking back from the mailbox with them, and the ones that do need steeping don't really need more than a week. I have had a handful of juices I've tried over the last two years that needed longer than that, but they're more the exception than the rule. I won't say steeping is overblown, but I think a lot of people carry it too far.

20. gthompson

Jul 28, 2011
    Tennessee, USA
    Oh and as far as "vaping gym socks" because the juice hasn't been steeped comment, I've never had any juice that tasted terrible to me fresh that later tasted good to me steeped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.