Verified Member Vote - Trader Option

Would you like return feedback be mandatory?

• Yes, I think return feedback should be required.

Votes: 95 71.4%
  • No, leave feedback as optional.

Votes: 38 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Unless something was changed the new system will not let you leave feedback without having posted in the thread. I had it happen after the changeover and had to ask Joker to re open the thread to post in it before I could leave feedback.

Correct, IF you put a link to that thread in the box. But you don't have to do that, as it's currently optional.

SeniorBoy

VapeFight.com Founder
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
vapefight.com
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So...I'm really a newb compared to many of you. /lol

For me, feedback on my two purchases is everything. I have stuff to sell but didn't want to do it until I had some feedback which IMHO, adds credence to my future sales, although others may not view it as such. I felt uncomfortable reminding one seller but it was quickly resolved. I'm not inferring that I'm a typical new user of the system, only stating my views as such. I support the "trial balloon" and I can live with whatever procedure becomes carved in stone.

:)

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Clarification: By 'Abstain' that I mentioned earlier, I did not mean to suggest that an publicly visible option of Abstain be offered. I mean rather that the option of no reply at all remain.

Commentary: In social sites, I am frequently asked to friend someone based on...well, nothing obvious. I might receive a request for friendship that contains no significant information and no mention of any particular reason why a person might have chosen me to friend them. In such cases, I have no positives to go on, nor any negatives either. An acceptance of such a friendship request might open the door to 'whatever.' A rejection might be 'bad karma.' In such situations, I appreciate the opportunity to not reply.

Netflix can be similar. After viewing some offerings, Netflix asks for an evaluation, in terms of number of stars. These are then used to create or avoid similar offerings for me and probably many other purposes on the Netflix side of the transaction. These stars are offered in the context of degree of like or dislike. Not infrequently, there are programs that I watch that I may have found some degree of 'like' in, but have other reservations based on content or other. I may not really want to invite more of the same and at the same time don't care to negate it. For me, this is a case of 'no response.' ...mixed emotions as it may be.

I think the examples above may have parallels in Classifieds. The conclusion of a transaction can be more complicated than a simple 'good transaction' or 'not so good transaction.' There may be qualifications other than successful competition that come into play. Not clearly good and not clearly bad, but perhaps some lingering something that may be less than comfortable. Yes, there is the opportunity to offer commentary, but perhaps on our side of the transaction, we don't understand the full context of what is going on with the other party. I'd like the option of no reply at all in some of these cases.

rangerrobin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2014
Northern California
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Clarification: By 'Abstain' that I mentioned earlier, I did not mean to suggest that an publicly visible option of Abstain be offered. I mean rather that the option of no reply at all remain.

Commentary: In social sites, I am frequently asked to friend someone based on...well, nothing obvious. I might receive a request for friendship that contains no significant information and no mention of any particular reason why a person might have chosen me to friend them. In such cases, I have no positives to go on, nor any negatives either. An acceptance of such a friendship request might open the door to 'whatever.' A rejection might be 'bad karma.' In such situations, I appreciate the opportunity to not reply.

Netflix can be similar. After viewing some offerings, Netflix asks for an evaluation, in terms of number of stars. These are then used to create or avoid similar offerings for me and probably many other purposes on the Netflix side of the transaction. These stars are offered in the context of degree of like or dislike. Not infrequently, there are programs that I watch that I may have found some degree of 'like' in, but have other reservations based on content or other. I may not really want to invite more of the same and at the same time don't care to negate it. For me, this is a case of 'no response.' ...mixed emotions as it may be.

I think the examples above may have parallels in Classifieds. The conclusion of a transaction can be more complicated than a simple 'good transaction' or 'not so good transaction.' There may be qualifications other than successful competition that come into play. Not clearly good and not clearly bad, but perhaps some lingering something that may be less than comfortable. Yes, there is the opportunity to offer commentary, but perhaps on our side of the transaction, we don't understand the full context of what is going on with the other party. I'd like the option of no reply at all in some of these cases.
At first, I was going to select door #1, but had mixed feelings. Your post helped me understand some of my own internal conflicts. Very well and clearly written. Thank you!

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It would seem that IF we are going to make leaving Feedback mandatory, and we must post in the thread to be able to do so, we will also need to make a rule change limiting people from opening and posting a sale thread and then immediately closing the thread to where no one can reply to the thread and everything is done via conversation.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I haven't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has already been covered.

But if you make it mandatory to leave feedback then by definition it would have to be mandatory to post in the thread or you would not be able to leave feedback.

The other thing that may happen is that people who feel their experience was negative in some way but choose not to leave feedback rather than leave negative feedback would now be required to leave feedback if it were mandatory.

I guess I'm saying I don't think it's a good idea to make leaving feedback mandatory. I think feedback is more meaningful if it's done voluntarily.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I thought when the new board initially went live that there was a user option to delete feedback that you left for somebody else, but now I can't find it. Did I imagine that, or was the system quickly modified to remove that option from the membership?

My point is, I would like the option of deleting feedback that I have left for any other member that has not reciprocated. That way, the other party is not required to leave feedback, but I can retract theirs if I choose, without having to contact a moderator.

I don't believe this was ever available but if you did see it that feature it was fixed. I don't think it was there because most likely I would have been the one to remove that ability and I didn't. This will not be an option, the option to report the feedback for deletion will be the only option for removing the feedback, once the request is evaluated.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Ok, it seems maybe my wording was not quite clear.

If this feature is enabled feedback WILL NOT be mandatory. What will be mandatory is, if you want to receive feedback it will be mandatory to return feedback. In other words, "one good turn deserves another". So those who do not want to leave feedback, you still don't have to but you will not receive feedback, then again you probably don't care. The only difference with the new system is, you won't receive undeserved feedback. Before you get all upset, I'm not saying someone is undeserving because of their reputation, only that if you can't reciprocate feedback you do not deserve feedback.

We recently started allowing members that leave feedback that get none in return to report and request feedback be removed but no matter the decision here this will no longer be available. So to offset this change we thought this feature would help.

So to sum this up, leaving feedback won't be mandatory but receiving feedback will require you to reciprocate the feedback. So nothing really changes for those who choose to not use the feedback system.

j0ker

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
MS Gulf Coast
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I see what your saying. Never tried it without the thread info entered.
If you can leave feedback for someone without linking to a thread couldn't that be easily abused?
Kinda defeats the purpose of the system no?

You are correct. The deal thread was not supposed to be optional but that's fixed now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

One of the problems we ran into occasionally on the old forum was, a member complains about an issue with a transaction, we look and don't see where they were involved, then find that the whole deal was negotiated through PM, and (rarely) the member no longer has the messages. As you can imagine this becomes a major time consuming issue to resolve. This is why we enabled the feature requiring a member post at least once in a Classifieds ad.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
:2c: Having done extensive online buying, occasionally selling since the the late 80's, I decided long ago to use or not use trade feedback systems based on their individual merit. Many of them have none when too many folks at a venue put way to much importance on feedback. Some to the point of asking/begging/whining or even offering a deal to get feedback left for them. IOW, not all that feedback if left has merit. And if I do participate, I go by a rule of engagement where what is right is what is right. As the first party satisfied in a transaction (with payment in hand) the seller must leave feedback or they get none in return. That rule because on many on-line classifieds sellers do not/will not leave feedback first, period, and many of those sellers also do not leave feedback in return for feedback received. On the evillest classifieds of them all worldwide a sellers CYA thing to have options to guard against/have an out for negative feedback being left for them while boosting their feedback score (that has no merit anyway). So I don't rely on feedback scores when I know the bottom line is I am taking a chance buying from a stranger far, far away. And that both in private sales and from vendors... lots of bad vendors out there. On forums I rely more on presale communication, any forum posts I've seen to get a read on a seller.

I have never sold anything on ECF's classifieds, have issues with some of the rules I still have not been able to set aside yet. But I have bought items from it. Most were easy transactions, some not as easy but worked out fine. It's a big plus that the ethics of the people that run on ECF is in general much higher than on many other massive forums I've I ran on in the past. But ECF does have its trolls, including in the classifieds.

The new possible feedback system suggests it having more merit, and good thing. But in the end whether it is adopted permanently or not doesn't really matter to me since I don't rely on feedback ratings.

jazdale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
Jackson, MI
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Most people are tired of "surveys".
If they have a beef, they'll let the world know.
No real meaning behind 100 comments saying "good buyer or seller"

I think if the stats showed total number of sales and purchases it would paint a good story.
100 sales and 10 positive and zero negative would make me feel good about a transaction.

Last edited:

Winchester

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Califorina
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have not left feed back for a member because I didn't have anything nice to say about what I bought from them. Maybe their idea of something being very nice is not my idea of something nice. I look at things like this " What goes around comes around" and " Some thing are better left unsaid. I don't think we should have option to delete feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread