Veritas RDA high wattage wicking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siochanai

Verified Member
Not sure where I should post this here or in a sub forum as I do not think this is a coil build issue as the coil has no hot spots so I think it is a wicking issue.

My Veritas rda is just phenomenal really can not beat the flavor and vapor combination this thing can really put out. I recently got my rDNA and tried vaping my build at 30 watts and even off a slow short drag I am getting horrid semi dry hits. Tastes so burnt. I am running a 1.2 ohm micro coil and it seems I have to keep the device around 15 - 23.5 watts. This seems to be the sweet spot. I can go higher but once I hit I believe 27 - 30 watts I get these semi dry hits that are just awful.

Like I said this is a micro coil 28ga Kanthal 1.2 ohms wrapped on a 5/64 drill bit but the problem is not the coil I do not think no hot spots causing the juice to stay to one side of the coil.

I have tried just a standard run through coil cotton wick and also tried a double wick where there is a piece of cotton under the positive lead due to the way the Veritas is machined this wick actually lays on top of the coil.

Here is a pic of the build attached hopefully someone has some ideas. I really like the warm hot flavor you can get at higher watts but right now I just can push my device up to the top for some reason. Sorry for the dirty looking coil been vapeing on it for a few days.

20141005_081452.jpg

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I am running a 1.2 ohm micro coil and it seems I have to keep the device around 15 - 23.5 watts. This seems to be the sweet spot.
Which is about right... if you were using an unregulated mech mod. Using 4.2v as the constant for our Ohm's Law calculation - where (V²) ÷ Ω = W ... 14.7 watts would be the resultant baseline.

I'm guessing that (at 24 plus watts) you are vaporizing the juice faster than your single feed wick can keep up. At 15 watts, the heat flux is a reasonable 222 mW/mm². At 24 watts, you're running in excess of 350 mW/mm².

If you want to 'pin' your DNA APV... you can use the full 30 watts for 0.6Ω at 4.2v... where the heat flux drops to 222 mW/mm².

I'd suggest that you stop building the Veritas as a single coil and build it as it as intended... a sub-ohm dual parallel.
Here is a method and fixture design for building a single, center post looped, dual coil... which makes the process far easier.

Siochanai

Verified Member
Thanks for the information. I just did a new build on it took quite a few tries due to not having a jig like the one you made. I was able to get a dual 0.7 ohm micro coil build with 28 ga. Kanthal on there. Drops the voltage at 30 watts down to 4.9 on my rDNA. The atty is transferring warmth to the box mod not sure if that is normal as this is my first box mod but it really vapes like a champ now no dry hits at all and wicking great at 30 watts. Here is a pic of the build not the best but the coils seemed like they were heating evenly off a dry burn or at least as close as I can get it.

Let me know what you think.

20141005_184116.jpg

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Seems like a nice build to me. Coils could stand to be straighter if you wanted them to 'look good' for photos (;-))... but as far as vaping performance is concerned, you did a fine job.
good.gif

A 0.7Ω dual parallel will generate a good amount of heat with long draws and/or chain vaping... nothing to worry about.

Glad you have it sorted out. Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread