• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Very bad news from Health Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Jack

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Unreal!

There is no way Instead would charge $37 plus shipping for a 15ml bottle! Maybe for a 50ml bottle. Lacey (the owner of Instead) just happens to be a REAL contributor to this forum and quite the advocate for the e-cigarette movement here in North America. You have your facts mixed up. Do some research on the market before opening up a business.

Your prices are WAY out of whack!

Stay away from this one people!

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
Thing is, its not illegal, and never will be. This is not a ban, its an public advisory only. The only ones that it really affects is Canadian suppliers by preventing them to sell an approved product/device.

Doesn't mean that individuals can't purchase or possess them provided they can do so from "other" sorces.

VapeOn,
Greg

Can anyone familiar with the Health Canada announcement clear this up for me once and for all? I've been ordering from best and eastmall for a few months now, and have had no issues up until now.

Usually my orders take about a week to get here from China, I see them handed over to customs (normal) and the very next day they are at my door.

However, I now have 4 orders made over a period of one month, sitting in customs... no idea why they are there, if this is normal, etc.

From what I understand, nothing has been decided on whether or not juice is illegal... or if it can be denied by customs. What I understand is that they are doing everything they can to scare people away from buying ecigs and juice... (scare tactic), but the truth is... there is nothing they can do at this point in time if we continue to import.

Am I wrong?

Has anyone else had orders held up? and if so, what was the resolution? The seller says I should call canada customs to find out what the hold up is... but I don't think this is a very good idea in case it's just taking a REAL long time for the items to pass through (do not want to bring attention to the issue if there is no issue).

So in short? Is all the worry just them trying to deter? or are there actual laws now that allow customs to reject your orders? what is the longest anyone has waited for their order to pass through customs? (I think longest wait so far is 2 weeks on one package). Has anyone actually called customs to find out how to speed up the process? Is this something I should actually do...?

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
Thing is, its not illegal, and never will be. This is not a ban, its an public advisory only. The only ones that it really affects is Canadian suppliers by preventing them to sell an approved product/device.

Doesn't mean that individuals can't purchase or possess them provided they can do so from "other" sorces.

VapeOn,
Greg

Are you sure about that Greg? There has been way too much said that I dont know up from down about it anymore :(

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
  • Deleted by smokum
  • Reason: drug reference

TommyGunBC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver B.c.
Well I'm in the same boat as Nehe , I have a small order of liquid that has been at customs for a week and 3 days ,and previously it was there for 1 day and at my door the next . I'm just hoping they are being slow about it but if they are going to deny it at least #@%#% contact me or something I hate waiting!!!!!

Nuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Well I'm in the same boat as Nehe , I have a small order of liquid that has been at customs for a week and 3 days ,and previously it was there for 1 day and at my door the next . I'm just hoping they are being slow about it but if they are going to deny it at least #@%#% contact me or something I hate waiting!!!!!

I've had some long waits. Nerve wracking..isn't it :)

On the bright side, I've never had them refuse a single order so there is still hope for you.

Good luck man.

Nick_Vapours

Apr 9, 2009
A legitimate argue could be made that if they want to schedule nicotine as a "drug"
and control it as such, they logically would have to do the same with caffiene, and the favoured delivery system of coffee.
I think that argument would hold up and that might put their brakes on pretty fast

Anyone a vapourize who is also Canadian lawyer? They wanyt to deny us e-cigs,
let them chew caffiene gum or better yet wear caffiene patches !!

katink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2008
the Netherlands
Someone elses pain usualy isn't much help in soothing your own... but for what it's worth: Belgium has banned e-cigs as soon as they emerged (not that they are visibly doing much about enforcing it mind you).
When this all just started there, people ordering their e-wares (liquid and hardware both) saw their orders being held by belgian customs, some for days, many for weeks, some for months even. There were people that had to wait for around 4 months even... eventualy getting the message from customs that their orders had been sent on to the belgian health-ministry to have it investigated (and remember, all was banned by government). Even these people DID get their orders... without anything missing. Just took a long long time for some...
So perhaps the future of your orders aren't as grim as it looks for you right now... I'll cross my fingers for that anyhow.

smokum

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2008
Ottawa, Ontario -CANADA-
My jist on the situation........ Without making contact with a laywer, which I certainly couldnt afford as an individual.

Health Canada does not have legislative powers. Meaning they don't/can't make LAWS.

HC has proclaimed their position on their website. It simply governs the supplier/vendor end of things regarding the products (on the whole) and can force restrictions for the marketing of such products only to those suppliers, vendors, importers & marketer's until they abide by the rules of acceptance/approval that are stated within their website.

I see nothing that can curtail their interferance at the boarder to cause delays while investigating procedural acceptance and their deemed requirements to conform.

As has been done for decades, suppliers have reworded contents to avoid both inspection, and duty/taxes to deter an additional expense to the purchaser as well as to avoid discrepancies that would redlight a product or restrict their ability to export. This is why (I believe), that many suppliers outside of Canada have a "Sender" name that has nothing to do with wording or association of the product that would raise those red flags, and product discriptions that don't following the import/export "exact" product reguirements yet are not too far off of what they truly are.

Really, it boils down to risk. Both on our part as the consumer who wants the product, and on the their part as a supplier that wants to continue with their marketing within the destined country.

I becomes a need to be creative on thier part without stretching so far as to breaking laws that would incur legal ramifications for them.

False advertising and/or claims ARE governed by Canadian consumer laws and can cause either delay or refusal at the border, or legal ramifications on a vendor within Canada.

The only suggestion I can make with acquiring your product would be:

- Keep your shipments "small" to avoid a huge loss should it happen to be refused at the border due to a suppliers "name" be on the watch list.

- Make sure, in advance, that your supplier's name or that of the packaging doesn't relate to "electronic cigarette", "tobacco", nor "nicotine".

- Make sure the supplier prepares their "paperwork" for the product relates to "batteries", "electronics", "electronic components", etc etc. And that they claim the items to be either gifts, business samples, or just samples.

- Make sure the supplier does not put too much of a low value for the shipment that it would draw attention to a possible intentional deceiving practice to avoid taxes.

That is about all we can do at the moment. Health Canada, I'm almost possitive, has jumped this advisory unprepared simply because of pressure from both the anti-smoking loudmouths, as well as from the Phamaceutical agencies who currently offer cessation products.

I would also recommend that if an "individual" contacts HC for verification or information, that they do not mention any vendor/supplier names to avoid having that name recorded and redflagged.

I would also recommend that a Canadian vendor/supplier avoid contacting HC directly for aid in deciding their course of action now that the advisory has been released to avoid being put on the list to receive an official letter of incompliance from HC (this has happened with one particular supplier that I dealt with).

As far as Canadian suppliers, I have no knowledge of a legal work-around for this. It is the job of your own lawyers to figure out and it WILL cost you money to do so. Unfortunately, that is the cost of doing business in Canada, as well as other countries.

It WILL definately weed out the "from home" companies that have started up with hopes of easy profits due to the expense now required to conform to HC's mandate. And I do fear its only a matter of time before any Canadian supplier/vendor falls within the hands of HC with selling these products.

I don't know what else to comment in this regard, other than they will NEVER shut me down as a private use purchaser, especially with the wealth of information on the internet and with those willing to risk selling product whether by legal means or blackmarket. I WILL NOT BE FORCED BY ANYONE TO RETURN TO MY 3 PACK A DAY TOBACCO HABBIT !!! IF I CHOOSE TO KILL MYSELF THROUGH MY ADDICTION THAT CHOICE OF DOING SO "IS MINE" AND NOBODY ELSES !!!

Its deffinately a huge unkown for now for all of us as HC positions themselves to do battle, and we can only hope that through the suppliers/vendors association that they can come up with a viable system of defense to thwart this un-intellegent decision with the backing of the "harm reduction" groups.

Just to note, I have purchased by import for myself from USA suppliers and the longest delay I've experienced was 3 weeks. I also have purchased from Canadian suppliers, without issue of course, but have lost two of them to HC's decision.

And YES, I have been stockpiling myself while the going is good to avoid both higher prices down the road, and further difficulties in obtaining supplies should this current situation escalate. Is it needed ?? I don't know, but I'm playing "better safe than sorry" at the moment !!

VapeOn,
Greg

Preston Girl

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2009
Cambridge, Ontario, CANADA
WiηgC¤mmαηdεя;195195 said:
If you can wait 3 weeks www intellicig dot com is also offering e-liquid, I just received a shipment of carts with no problems from them

Good to know! I'm actually into my second week of vaping and looking to pick up some extra atomizers and batteries for their EVO.

Any problems with how they label your shipment that would send red flags to anyone?

Or if someone knows of another source for something that is compatible....you can PM me.

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
The only suggestion I can make with acquiring your product would be:

- Keep your shipments "small" to avoid a huge loss should it happen to be refused at the border due to a suppliers "name" be on the watch list.

- Make sure, in advance, that your supplier's name or that of the packaging doesn't relate to "electronic cigarette", "tobacco", nor "nicotine".

Soooo....i should avoid buying in lots of 1000 from the vendor called "ElectronicCigsForTheWorldExceptForCanada.com?" :confused:

sonnyinbc

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2009
Vancouver Island,B.C. Canada
Just today got more juice and a new 77mm battery. Ordered it only 9 days ago.

Okay, I have to be sneaky about this and am not going to name my supplier because of the ever present gov.eyes. Will give you a "strong" hint and maybe you can figure it out for yourselves?

I only use atomized carts which I purchase for 2 bucks a piece when buying 125 at a time. I pay 30 bucks for a 30ml of juice which is 10 dollars more than most places.

Personally, I have had nothing but good service from these people, but from reading the posts, most of you have not!

If you know who I am speaking of--lets not mention the company, just a nod and a wink will suffice. Try a small order and post back in a couple of weeks and let us know how you did?

puff-puff-pass

ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
Alberta
Just today got more juice and a new 77mm battery. Ordered it only 9 days ago.

Okay, I have to be sneaky about this and am not going to name my supplier because of the ever present gov.eyes. Will give you a "strong" hint and maybe you can figure it out for yourselves?

I only use atomized carts which I purchase for 2 bucks a piece when buying 125 at a time. I pay 30 bucks for a 30ml of juice which is 10 dollars more than most places.

Personally, I have had nothing but good service from these people, but from reading the posts, most of you have not!

If you know who I am speaking of--lets not mention the company, just a nod and a wink will suffice. Try a small order and post back in a couple of weeks and let us know how you did?

My order was only 3 @$30...been 2 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread