Very spooky battery issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2011
idaho
So, this morning I came into work as I usually do. I brought my VV box mod, bottle of juice, extra batteries and charger. I was in a hurry and put the batteries in my front left pocket. What I did not realize, I threw my work keys in the same pocket. I as in the back talking to our service manager and I felt something getting very hot on my leg. I thought for a minute it was my box mod and the button was pressed on. When I reached in I burned the heck out of my hand. It was one of the batteries getting very very hot from arcing on my keys. Was scary as HELL!!!!

Now when I put my batteries on the charger (charger is NOT even plugged into wall) I get a little arc (spark) when the positive end of battery touches the charger terminal. I am guessing I should probably throw the battery away and start fresh right?? I do not want anything blowing up in my face and lose any teeth over a $5 battery. I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience simular to this?? If so, I would love to hear it.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Dispose of it (properly. Some places AKA Best Buy, etc.. have bins for Li-Ion battery stuffis). But dispose of it.

Li-on batteries are listed as non-hazardous waste by the EPA and standard land fill disposal is appropriate. The only caution listed is incineration... A lot of rural folks use a burning barrel for household waste, and they need to be aware that li-on batts explode when incinerated. Commercial incinerators are A-OK though, because if you're close enough to a commercial incinerator fire to get hit with battery shrapnel, you were already in an unsurvivable situation.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, this morning I came into work as I usually do. I brought my VV box mod, bottle of juice, extra batteries and charger. I was in a hurry and put the batteries in my front left pocket. What I did not realize, I threw my work keys in the same pocket. I as in the back talking to our service manager and I felt something getting very hot on my leg. I thought for a minute it was my box mod and the button was pressed on. When I reached in I burned the heck out of my hand. It was one of the batteries getting very very hot from arcing on my keys. Was scary as HELL!!!!

Now when I put my batteries on the charger (charger is NOT even plugged into wall) I get a little arc (spark) when the positive end of battery touches the charger terminal. I am guessing I should probably throw the battery away and start fresh right?? I do not want anything blowing up in my face and lose any teeth over a $5 battery. I was wondering if anyone else has had an experience simular to this?? If so, I would love to hear it.

Not sure what size batteries you use but they have Batteries Cases on e-Bay for less than a Cup of Java.

Here is an example...

2 x Plastic Case Box 18650 16430 123A Battery Blue | eBay

Underwhelmed

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2012
Texas

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Li-on batteries are listed as non-hazardous waste by the EPA and standard land fill disposal is appropriate. The only caution listed is incineration... A lot of rural folks use a burning barrel for household waste, and they need to be aware that li-on batts explode when incinerated. Commercial incinerators are A-OK though, because if you're close enough to a commercial incinerator fire to get hit with battery shrapnel, you were already in an unsurvivable situation.

Good to know, but I'll still throw mine in the recycle bin if I get a chance (that's why they have em) They can sort it out from there. :) I don't wanna worry about sorting that stuff out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5001425_dispose-lithium-ion-batteries.html
Here's one from 6 years ago... interesting note about the EU...http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/3285

To each their own :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread