VG/PG question before I order some juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Hi guys. I have been getting my juice so far from my local B & M and it is good, but he has limited flavors and I am wanting to try some new flavors. He mixes his own and he uses a 70/30 VG/PG mix, and I was wondering how much of a difference it makes. I was going to try Mt Bakers, and looks like they have 80/20 vg/pg, but that got me wondering if I might like a different ratio better. I am not having any problems with the current ratio, but it is all I have ever had so was just curious.

Thanks

Jameason

Verified Member
Sep 21, 2013
USA
I have tried everything from 80/20 pg VG all the way up to 100% VG. I like the vape of 50/50 the best in cartos and standard coil tanks. With rdas I like thicker juices but still do 50/50 sometimes. I would say to try 50/50 & see how you like it. The only downside is that cartos have a harder time wicking the heavier juices. If you get some slotted cartos or slot your own you won't have any problems.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk 4

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
PG increases throat hit, VG increases clouds of vapor.

70/30 is pretty reasonable, a lot of my juices are 80/20 (all PG/VG ratios), since I like a good TH...

IIRC, you can select the blend you want at MBV, so you don't have to use their "stock" mix. (Again, IIRC, they default to 80/20 PG/VG.) They blend it after you order.

PG is also thinner, which can be a concern with some toppers. Top coil clearos may have a problem with wicking if the juice is too thick - i.e. all VG. Bottom coils may leak a little if it's too thin - i.e. all PG.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Coupled with DavidOck...
Juice Components
Flavoring usually about 3- 15%- could be higher or lower depending on the flavor used.
PG enhances flavor, TH and lung hit- water like - many of us believe PG to be a throat irritant.
VG= vapor and can mute flavor- thick
Nicotine- TH, lung hit and our need for nicotine. The MOST important ingredient in regards to TH and lung hit.
Standards in the industry are 80/ 20 or 70/ 30 PG/ VG. Many are now moving towards a 50/ 50 ratio as it's a smoother less harsh vape.

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
Thanks guys. Seeing I could pick my own ratio is why I came and asked. I have been using Protank II's exclusively and I haven't had any issues at all, so I think I will go with their 80/2-vg/pg mix. I haven't been missing any TH and do like the vapor I get. I am getting all small bottles for now anyways, so I may get a 50/50 just so I know what it is like.

One more question, what is 80%vg/20 distilled water about? is that for people who are allergic to PG, but pure VG is too thick(my guess). Sorry for the ?'s, this is my first time ordering juice online.

Thanks again

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Thanks guys. Seeing I could pick my own ratio is why I came and asked. I have been using Protank II's exclusively and I haven't had any issues at all, so I think I will go with their 80/2-vg/pg mix. I haven't been missing any TH and do like the vapor I get. I am getting all small bottles for now anyways, so I may get a 50/50 just so I know what it is like.

One more question, what is 80%vg/20 distilled water about? is that for people who are allergic to PG, but pure VG is too thick(my guess). Sorry for the ?'s, this is my first time ordering juice online.

Thanks again

Yes some have a sensitivity to PG but 100% VG sometimes creates wicking problems. 10% distilled water to 100% VG will give you the consistency of about 70%PG/30%VG without affecting the flavor of the juice, much beyond that & it gets thin BUT some do use a higher ratio of distilled water with extra flavor shots.

PG- Will hold more of the flavor, liquid will be thinner, throat hit will be increased, and there will be less vapor production.

VG- will hold less of the flavor, will add a bit of sweetness, liquid will be a lot thicker, vapor production will increase, and throat hit will decrease.

Is this exactly right!

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
Food for thought on the distilled water: I've read where some ppl use vodka 80 proof or higher in stead if something needs to be thinned a bit. I'm still researching DIY juice ie take that with a grain of salt as I don't have hands on experience. I'm certain someone will come along and validate or trash that idea ( but probably both will happen). I also support going 50/50 for trying new flavors.

Mikie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Chattanooga TN
The MVP tells me the mini protank I have on here now is 2.4,and I just checked the PT 2 I have and it reads at 2.1. I vape them both around 3.5-3.8 volts. Still playing with all that since I am new. I haven't burned out a coil yet, but I did just replace them the other day since I changed juice in the PT2 and figured it wouldn't hurt. Keep in mind tho I am still cutting back on analogs so I don't vape hard all day.... yet lol.

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Hi Mikie! With you using 80/20 and a protank... which resistance wick works best for you? I am having trouble burning them out.

Sweet and/or dark eliquids will go through coils fast as they gunk up so much quicker - my heads last about 3 days before a dry burn and cleaning is required (I dry burn once then rebuild the head)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread