Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Is it safe to charge a 650mAh Spinner with an Aspire charger with an output of 4.2v / 1000mAh? After Googling a while, I'm assuming this isn't safe to do.. because it would be charging at about 1.5C.
The charger doesn't push current, the battery draws it. As long as the polarity and the voltage is correct, and the charger capable of handling as much current as the battery draws (amps it charges at) it should be ok.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
The charger doesn't push current, the battery draws it. As long as the polarity and the voltage is correct, and the charger capable of handling as much current as the battery draws (amps it charges at) it should be ok.

OK, thanks for the reply, but I noticed that when I had the Spinner on the charger, the charger got hotter than it does when the Aspire VV+ 1000mAh is on it. I guess that's because like you said, the battery
is only drawing the current it needs and the rest is turning into heat?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
OK, thanks for the reply, but I noticed that when I had the Spinner on the charger, the charger got hotter than it does when the Aspire VV+ 1000mAh is on it. I guess that's because like you said, the battery
is only drawing the current it needs and the rest is turning into heat?
No, the charger won't draw anymore from the wall socket than the battery demands. The charger is really only a converter. If it gets hot it's often due to it needing to work harder, being pushed beyond its limits. Charging a battery that draws two amps with a one amp capable charger, for example. The other way around, a two amp capable charger charging a battery that draws one amp should leave the charger fairly cool. Also note that the battery capacity isn't the same thing as the amps the battery charges at.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
No, the charger won't draw anymore from the wall socket than the battery demands. The charger is really only a converter. If it gets hot it's often due to it needing to work harder, being pushed beyond its limits. Charging a battery that draws two amps with a one amp capable charger, for example. The other way around, a two amp capable charger charging a battery that draws one amp should leave the charger fairly cool. Also note that the battery capacity isn't the same thing as the amps the battery charges at.

Yea, I read that. How would I know the amps the battery draws?

I appreciate your replies BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread