vivi nova 2.5: how to know when to replace the coil + wick (atomizer I guess)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kotje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
belgium
Hi,
the title tells it all I guess. :confused:
I was going to place this thread on the beginner's part of the forum but it seems I cannot do this any more.:confused:
I'm still kinda new to clearomizers, when do you actually know when to replace it?
Had some dry drags but that seem to be because of a low battery or tank to low on -juice ( less than 1/3 )
also noticed that this happens faster with a full tank (using the riva 1100 battery)
while on the subject; any harm in filling the tank with more than 3ml of juice?(wicks totally under water .... e-juice i mean :)
used it intensely for 2 weeks going I guess and cleaned it ones after the first 5 days with instructions provided from fellow users on ECF

friendly regards,
and thanks in advance

bryan

PS ; edit ;
I recently have been getting dry drags but after a few of those it works again fine...
could this be .... anyway could anyone explain this?

Last edited:

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
Vivi Nova atty heads are pretty cheap, that being said, you could have a ton of spares just lying around. But anyways, from your first vape on when you start to see a diminish in performance, vapor wise, that tells you that your wick is getting gunked up, but if you don't care about that then, there was an instance when I vaped my Vivi Nova till the atty shorted out and wouldn't fire anymore, so you can do that too just wait for it to totally die, or if you like fresh clean vapes consistently i would say change it out every 1.5-2 weeks. You don't want to fill your tank till the wicks are under, it will only flood the chamber where the coils are and give you no vapor as the coils aren't very strong, there's no harm in doing so but you'll get flooding, gurggling and it wont vape right. But from my Vivi Nova experience and i go through about 4ml of juice a day I'd say every 1.5 weeks I would change the atty head out, it is especially obvious if you vape darker juices the sides of your wick that sticks out through the atty will turn almost black, like its burnt, many ways to choose from depending on what you want, clean fresh consistent vape I'd say 1.5 weeks, if you don't care at all just use it till it dies.

LucentShadow

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Michigan, USA
I guess you could pull the silicone cap off, and take a look at the coil and wick in there. If it's completely caked with crud, then it's probably time for a dry burn or replacement.

Those are pretty easy to dry burn. Empty the juice into something else, disassemble the tank, pop the silicone cap off, rinse the head out, either let it dry or blow across the coils while firing repeatedly until it starts to glow, then turn it on for 3-5 second intervals, letting it get red hot for a few seconds each time, until the gunk is turned to ash. Then rinse it off and let it dry.

With the Vivi Nova, there is a lot of water retention area in the base. If you've just cleaned it, make sure that you've gotten that water out before firing it up.

ETA- Oh, yeah. If you do try dry burning, do so in a well ventilated area. The fumes, when the coil is overheated like that, can be slightly toxic. Probably no worse than many cleaning products, though.

Last edited:

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
Ya, it should last you more than 2wks. Your cleaning and dryburning frequency may need to increase the older it gets.
You'll know it's time when it starts performing in the ways you've described.

I'll dab the wicks dry with a tissue before dryburning to speed up the process, also after the final rinse, (which I should do but don't) if you want to get right back to vaping.

Cheers!:vapor::vapor:

kotje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
belgium
Thanks for all your info ppl, :thumb:
still have some questions concerning this.

Is it normal that the batteries need to be recharged allot more when it has been a while since the vivi nova has been cleaned?

Also I dont have spare atty heads for it yet except for the 2 that I got in the original package,
those have a higher resistance (ohm) coil.

Will that be a problem with a 70/30 PG/VG mix > gold&silver 24mg? :confused:
What will be different? taste? , battery time before charging? ect.. :confused:

EDIT >
Vivi Nova atty heads are pretty cheap, that being said,....

10 pounds for 5 atty heads is the price from vapeescape.co.uk
know any cheaper that ship from the UK or around Belgium or is this cheap enough?

friendly regards,

bryan

Last edited:

Jett1980s

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 4, 2012
Mount Vapeus
That's about as cheap as it gets unless you move to rebuildables, you pay more for the tank but you rebuild you atty at 35-40cents USD, was doing some calculations this morning and decided to do the calculations for fun. For say, I have an Odysseus V2, to rebuild it I need to use no resistance wires, resistance wires and wick. I made the measurements a little longer just for the sake of it and calculated, basically if you were using 7cm wick (1USD per 1ft), 4cm resistance wire (5.50USD per 100ft), 10cm no resistance wire (13USD per 40ft), you'd be replacing attys at roughly 35 cents with the highest grade materials you can find. What I listed are Kanthal A1 for resistance and Silver 999 for No resistance with 3mm Silica Wicks. The Odysseus is expensive, but fully mechanical and is built out of stainless steel with the exception of O rings to prevent leaking, you'd pay about 130USD for this, but as you can see the atty heads will pay themselves off in the long run, there're other cheaper rebuildable tanks out there, that you will have to do research on your own, for me I'm very satisfied with my Odysseus.

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
I actually prefer the higher resistance heads, not sure about any difference in longevity but if I'm not mistaken the battery charge should last a little longer compared to LR. Unless you crank it up of course.

Taste, TH, vapour may diminish a little so you may want to turn up the volts/watts some if you can.

I've been sliding some 1mm. cotton wicking material into my "stardusts" replaceable heads' coil with great results.
Extending their life considerably. Vapour TH and flavour are better too.
The Vivi shouldn't be much different.

:vapor::vapor:

kotje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
belgium
for the moment ill stick to fully made and shipped replacement parts for my vivi nova but i have been looking into the way to make it yourself and it seems pretty easy surely with you tube .
the only thing i am not sure about it the exact materials needed like the wires and wick

jett1980s you speak of 2 different wires , non resistance and resistance wires and a wick with added names or brand or whatever
but you only need one wire to make the coil right?
also im using a PV not a APV ,> the riva1100.
so how can I know that my resistance is low enough , I only know 1.3ohm is good.

simply said , im asking for a crash course in the materials and there difference and to and another thing ;
maybe your idea of what the easiest way is to wrap the coil around the wick.

Photon55

Jul 5, 2012
Florida
Good maintenance applies to everything. That said, I do a dry burn after 3-4 tanks. It's so simple and your atty head will last months. I keep several in rotation. When close to empty take everything apart; top bottom with stem & silicone cap. Now unscrew the atty with the wicks attached. Rinse everything well and let dry overnight. Screw your atty onto the stem and screw that onto you battery. Make several dry burns of 3-5 seconds each. You'll notice the gunk burning off with a noxious plume. Keep doing this until you see all the coils glowing ORANGE. If you burn too long the coils will go towards white and will pop dead. I use a wooden tooth pick to gently brush off the ash and keep going. You'll know when the coils are clean. That's it once it's cool, about 5min, your ready to put the silicone cap back on and the tank. Refill, put the too on and vape like new! GV will sell you the resistance attys you want in 5 packs. They are inexpensive and keeping them in rotation will last months and months. Good luck. Be brave.

kotje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
belgium
Good maintenance applies to everything. That said, I do a dry burn after 3-4 tanks. It's so simple and your atty head will last months. I keep several in rotation. When close to empty take everything apart; top bottom with stem & silicone cap. Now unscrew the atty with the wicks attached. Rinse everything well and let dry overnight. Screw your atty onto the stem and screw that onto you battery. Make several dry burns of 3-5 seconds each. You'll notice the gunk burning off with a noxious plume. Keep doing this until you see all the coils glowing ORANGE. If you burn too long the coils will go towards white and will pop dead. I use a wooden tooth pick to gently brush off the ash and keep going. You'll know when the coils are clean. That's it once it's cool, about 5min, your ready to put the silicone cap back on and the tank. Refill, put the too on and vape like new! GV will sell you the resistance attys you want in 5 packs. They are inexpensive and keeping them in rotation will last months and months. Good luck. Be brave.

I almost do it the same , although my vivi nova goes apart completely except for the atty that's screwed onto the vivi nova bottom
all of that goes into a 30 degrees Celsius bath of fresh water to clean , then dry all parts with paper but with the atty I just push the excess water out by squeezing the wick between two pieces of paper several times then dry burn ( takes about 60 sec before I get the coils orange or red > battery and vivi nova tank does get really hot tho (thanks for the tip that the coils cant go towards a white colour btw didn't know that one) and i use it again instantly without even one dry hit.

i followed hints from ppl on this forum tbh, i am still using my first atty and its about a month now and it has been used for over 120ml of juice (mostly 70PG/30VG or anything close to it)

:offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic::offtopic:

but back on topic>> what materials do i use to make a new wick and coil of around 1.8 ohms or lower?

i would like to get 10 watts with a 3.7 volt PV if its even possible , if not whats the best i can get and how?

TIA from the OP

Last edited:

Pyrate

ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
Every 2-3 days I take my tank apart, clean all the parts in warm water and soak the atty in vodka overnight.
This keeps the wick and coil relatively clean and new.
I rotate between 2 heads and have been using them with no problems for about 3 months now.
I also vape clear no flavor juice so that might mitigate how dirty they get.

williebb123

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2010
Mount Shasta California
ive been using the vivi nova since v1 came out i have done both(cleaning and just replacing)after a few months it bothered my breathing , i would breath in but it was like i wasnt getting any oxygen, i think my lungs didnt like the silica fibers that break down, since then i have gone into making my own with ss mesh with in 1 day my breathing is back to normal, just something you might want to keep check on

kotje

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
belgium
ive been using the vivi nova since v1 came out i have done both(cleaning and just replacing)after a few months it bothered my breathing , i would breath in but it was like i wasnt getting any oxygen, i think my lungs didnt like the silica fibers that break down, since then i have gone into making my own with ss mesh with in 1 day my breathing is back to normal, just something you might want to keep check on

how long do you inhale? probably more than an average of 2 to 4 seconds or so
>most of the nicotine is absorbed into the body in the mouth , very little gets into the body in the lungs
that's the difference between smoke and vapor.
also if you inhaled faster than 2 seconds from when you stopped taking a drag, exhale threw the nose to not waste your nicotine.
>>as im still a noob on vaping I must add that this information comes from an expert on the ECF forum.
would keep that in mind if I were you >exhale as soon as you have inhaled> has no use to keep it there any longer
ill edit this post if i find the post with all the information
EDIT:
found it within one minute.
inhalation technique

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread