Vivi Nova max wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
Why do vivi nova heads burn at such low power?

2.8 burns over 4v. 2.2 over 3.8. 1.8 over 3.5.

Resistance has been checked and is typically the same as indicated. device is a Lavatube.

I can vape my 3.0 ohm Smoktech cartomizer or a Boge at 5v or higher all day long.

Where's the design flaw?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
midficollege, I think this is an issue with all top coil clearos. Not that I've tried them all by any means, but of the 4 or 5 versions I have tried including the VN I only like one. It's always the same thing, not enough vapor and/or flavor. Now, the one I like is an older short wick model which produces plenty of vapor but does lack a little in the flavor department. Still can't crank the power up too high, but that's irrelevant to me if I'm getting the vape I want. It is the most dependable system I have right now.

As for the VN, I'm still on my first head after about five dry burns (in about 12-14 tank fulls). I find there is very little 'process window' between a satisfying vape and burnt juice. I have Kanthal and SS mesh ready to try re-building with. If that works well, then it may become a cheap re-buildable for me. Time will tell.

lost.n.disturbed88

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
texas
I don't even bother to figure out why something is crap. I just moved on. I don't understand why people are so gaga over them when you can't get good flavor and only mediocre vapor unless you rebuild them yourself and I have other's I do that with.

Ok... So what is a "good" tank in your opinion? Not trying to be a .... or a thread hi-jacker, but I've seen you belittle VNs in a few post, and your sig, so it has piqued my curiosity...

hellerhighwater

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Riverside, CA
I hear that the wicks used in the Vivi Nova 2.8 ohm heads are thicker than the others and don't wick as well. Perhaps the issue isn't the voltage but rather the wicking of the head? Give the 1.8 ohm head a try at 3.8 volts. Thats how I run mine and it's fantastic. I do have to tilt the thing on occasion though...

midficollege

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Texas
I'm running a 1.8ohm stock head at 4.2volts on a chrome LT right now. 12 days on this head (dry burned once) and no burnt taste yet.

Mine is an Lrider-they don't run hot, that is the Young June version.

I have the same lavatube that you have- L-Rider Torpedo (black in my case) from Totally Wicked. It doesn't use PWM, so it certainly doesn't run hot.

This is with a 70/30 PG/VG mixture.

It still provides OK amounts of thick vapor at the lower voltages, but I'd like to know why I can't get the warmth out of the things that I would prefer.

It doesn't seem to be a wicking problem, because it will happen even if the thing hasn't been used and has been on its side for a long period of time.

I just wanted to know if other people have seen that the design, for some reason, seems to cap out at a certain amount of power regardless of the resistance of the atomizer. Apparently some have, some haven't. 4.5*4.5/2.8 is still pretty low at 7.3W compared to the 3ohm cartomizers I enjoy at 5.0V (8.33W).

Not trying to bash anything. I've also tried the same tank with a Zmax (in VRMS mode) and got a similar burntness at 4.1-4.2V.

tc1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2011
Ohio
I don't even bother to figure out why something is crap. I just moved on. I don't understand why people are so gaga over them when you can't get good flavor and only mediocre vapor unless you rebuild them yourself and I have other's I do that with.

This might be your experience but I get good flavor out of mine. Proper care and maintenance is key. And if you rebuild a Nova with mesh it will hit as good as any atomizer on the market ...

To the OP, have you actually checked the ohms? Nearly every device has a different resistance as advertised. My 2.4 ohm nova head works great at 4-4.4 volts on a twist/spinner.

Last edited:

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Why do vivi nova heads burn at such low power?

2.8 burns over 4v.

I haven't experienced that. 2.8 at 4v would be 5.7 watts. I've vaped a 2.8 ohm vivi at 6.5 and 7 watts without any burning. It does depend on the juice tho I've found. That's with RMS on both Zmax and Vamo.

I have read that the vivis don't like really high temps.

Soundhunter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2012
Love Field

Just a guess.. but probably because those people don't agree with you and don't share your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread