Vivi Nova (& mini) vs CE5+ (maybe also vs CE4?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
I have been reading, and reading, and reading, and reading.. I've read so much I dreamed I was still reading! :) I need to appeal to the experts.

Can someone give me a quick rundown of the differences between the Nova and the CE5+? I'm going to be at the local shop today, and I am moving up from my Joye 510-t to something good. (Linked just in case I described something too vaguely or left out important info..)

I am mostly looking at the Nova (metal) and CE5+, but I'm not sure. (They have CE5+ rebuildable, CE4 sealed long-wick, Vivi Nova Rebuildable in metal & plastic, Mini Nova.)

My first priority is "stops leaking my juice everywhere and making me sticky" but I suspect they'll all work for that.. Otherwise I want to be able to fill my case with a variety of juices and strengths and switch around as needed. (The case is a rebadge of the 'large' joye case - 2 battery loops & mesh pocket on one side, 2 mesh pockets on the other.) I already have a few really strong flavors that linger on the attys (ahem peanut butter) so having attys dedicated to each juice container is a big win for me.

I'll be pairing it with a 900mah passthrough eGo battery, and I'm planning on getting a twist as well. (Sold my cigalike batteries, and having only 1 battery is making me nervous..) Eventually I'll also have a darwin (gifted from a friend)..

Help! (Mods - if you think this should go in the newbies please feel free to move it, I couldn't decide..)

Fizzy-Penny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Texas
Disclaimer: Since you 1st posted this in ATE forum, I should warn you that I am most certainly not an expert. Just a vaper with about a year or so behind me. That said and fwiw:

From what I saw on the site you linked, I'm not sure if what you're looking at are "knock-offs" and that could make a difference. I have a little experience with the types you're asking about, but it was all stuff I got from GotVapes.com.

None of mine have leaked (except one of the unrebuildable Stardusts and that was because I, quite stupidly, held the plastic tank while I manhandled an overly-tightened adapter between it and my Provari. Note to self: hold the metal parts to twist on it). The rest have all been leak-free.

I did see this shop was advertising that the long wicks soak up every bit of the juice. I think that's misleading. These are top-coils and, in my experience, top coils will get all the juice, but only if you do the tilt-n-twirl bit to keep the wicks wet. (That could be just me and ymmv.)

The major diff I've experienced was a difference in the tightness of the "drag"; with the Vivi Nova being noticeably tighter than the Stardust. I asked about this on the GV forum and was told it could be because I use a Provari. Again, ymmv.

I think the Vivi Nova is a very well built item. I may be one of the few who find the Stardust easier to fill. Get at least one of each you're looking at is my advice. Two of each is better ... and just try 'em.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Like Fizzy-Penny said, get one or two of both. Although I'd recommend the "rebuildable" versions, as that will be cheaper in the long run. New coils are cheap compared to a whole new setup.

I've used a lot of "stardust" aka CE5+, and have had only one leak - and that was obvious when I filled it the first time :) - I chalked it up to a manufacturing defect.

Also very true on the "every bit" part, although they do come close most of the time. But I'm usually topping up before then.

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
I'm a huge fan of the full sized vivi nova. The stardusts or ce4's are fine, but not big enough for me, and I just don't get as good a flavor from them. Plus I like being able to use my own drip tips so I can switch them out easier for clean ones. I also highly suggest gotvapes. Chris and Dan are great guys and you can be certain you won't get knock offs. I also love their flux juice. It's the only one I've found that I can vape at the 24 mg nic I need without a bad peppery flavor. They're super easy to clean and there is a mini size if you'd prefer that. I like the 2.8v heads myself on my vv gripper. They are long wicks and I cut them down to about a 1/2" with fingernail clippers since that gives me a better flavor for me. Each person is different, but that's my vaping nirvana!

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
Thanks for all the input! I got the first few responses while I was at the store, and ended up getting a pile of Novas and 1 CE5+, all rebuildable. (The friend I was converting to PV went entirely with CE5s.) I think I got lucky - the novas are all uniformly nice (even smooth drag, etc) and my CE5 is working pretty well, but 1 of hers is super airy. She is happy with it but when I try it it seems like the equivalent of smoking a torn cig - lots of good vapor but tons of air along with it.

I'm happily sucking on my novas with my new ego v mega vv/pt. Now I just need to start taking notes about which heads are in which nova and preferred voltages, etc. :)

Gotta go back today to get my favorite juice. They ran out yesterday afternoon before I got there :(

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
Awesome! Glad you tried the novas. You'll see the voltage etched in each one as to which head is which. The 2.8 head should have 2 wicks instead of 4. As I said, I cut mine down, but not everyone likes that. 2.8 will be too high to use until you get the twist or some other variable voltage. This chart will tell you what the safe vaping voltages are for whichever volt atty you're using. There is also a simple math equation but I can't remember what it is. I'll ask again and let you know. It's super simple, I just haven't used it in awhile cuz I always vape at the same thing. Keep a tissue handy and when the taste or throat hit drops off or the vivi gurgles, just pull off the drip tip and put a bit of twisted tissue into the top of the metal cap to soak up the condensation that accumulates in there. I do this a few times a day, and it will accumulate in anything like this.

when you get ready for a variable volt device, I would definitely check out the vv gripper. SMOKtech Gripper VV 3.0-6.0 18650 Variable 510 OLED [gv-SMOKtechGripperVV] - $42.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more I have a twist that I use only as a backup. Lots of folks love twists, and there is nothing wrong with them at all. My 2 reasons for not liking them are:
1. I prefer a mod which means that instead of recharging the entire unit, you only recharge batteries that you insert into the unit. All Li-ion batteries have a life span of only 300-400 charging cycles. If you run it 1/2 way down and recharge, it knows this and that's only a 1/2 of a charging cycle. But once you've done however many charges it has, it's dead and you have to replace the whole twist. If you insert batteries into a mod you're replacing only an $8.00-10.00 battery instead of your whole unit.

2. If I were going to use something like a twist, I would go with the spinner. Numbers are easier to read on the dial and I think it has some other features as well. VISION Spinner eGo VV : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
Awesome! Glad you tried the novas. You'll see the voltage etched in each one as to which head is which. The 2.8 head should have 2 wicks instead of 4. As I said, I cut mine down, but not everyone likes that. 2.8 will be too high to use until you get the twist or some other variable voltage. This chart will tell you what the safe vaping voltages are for whichever volt atty you're using. There is also a simple math equation but I can't remember what it is. I'll ask again and let you know. It's super simple, I just haven't used it in awhile cuz I always vape at the same thing. Keep a tissue handy and when the taste or throat hit drops off or the vivi gurgles, just pull off the drip tip and put a bit of twisted tissue into the top of the metal cap to soak up the condensation that accumulates in there. I do this a few times a day, and it will accumulate in anything like this.

I got the ego v mega vv, does 3-6v at .1 with an lcd display :) It was only a few bucks more than a twist and I like to be able to lock the voltage (longpress +/- to lock/unlock) so I don't have to check it every time I pull it out to make sure it didn't get bumped..

I'm looking at the evic for the next "big" upgrade, but for now I've got the CE5 (standard atty) on a standard ego battery and the novas (various heads but mostly the high 2.8s) on the VV.

I discovered this morning that 5.5v on the cinn is like breathing liquid red hot candy death. Ouch! :)

Debadoo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 18, 2012
Texas, near Fort Hood
oh kewl, yeah I think that's a better one than the twist. When the twist first came out, most all vv's were at least 100.00 so it was nirvana to be able to vape vv for 30.00 but now it's very outdated with other things that have come along and the way prices have come down on so many things. There are threads out there devoted specifically to that and pretty much all devices, so you can find out more than you ever wanted to know about it. lol yeah it don't take long to sorta figure out where the best voltage is for something. I like the led displays. You'll quickly find your sweet spot for each juice by just experimenting a bit. .1 or .2 can make a big difference sometimes. I've asked on the equation but don't have an answer yet. Will post it when I get it. It just gives you a good number to start on.

Disconnect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2013
Washington DC
I think you are looking for
verizor-variable-voltage-chart.jpg
from verizor and others. (In fact, a very similar chart is printed in the pamphlet that came with my VV :))

Fizzy-Penny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2012
Texas
Thanks for the chart, Disconnect. I had one of those on my old drive and I lost it when the drive died, so this is great to have.

Thanks for the tip on shortening the wicks, Deb! Gonna try that on my novas and stardusts, too.

p.s.: GotVapes has a new and intriguing little adapter that makes a little platform; it's called an "air controller". Looks like a "must try" to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread