Vivi Nova Rebuild tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaphx

Jan 19, 2012
prison
There is a detailed tutorial on the first page of this thread.
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ystems/295410-vivi-nova-rebuild-tutorial.html

Burning it with a cigarette lighter is a good idea if for nothing else than to just clean it. Some say it makes it easier to work with.

Errol

thanks, i still haven't got "the good" on vivi nova, so im gonna try to rebuild.

twist nr wire onto r wire
once twisted, twist the remainder of the nr wire onto the part you twisted first
IMAG0979.jpg

IMAG0980.jpg

yeah i don't get it..
double twist the nr wire and suddenly the wick is inside the twist :confused:

Errol

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2010
Salt lake City, Ut
thanks, i still haven't got "the good" on vivi nova, so im gonna try to rebuild.

yeah i don't get it..
double twist the nr wire and suddenly the wick is inside the twist :confused:

That combination of pictures is confusing but fortunately you now have a link to a more detailed tutorial that clears up that mystery. :)

Errol

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I tried something different. Since I noticed with cotton the closer the coil wraps the better (least in a vivi nova). So I twisted up a wick and coil with all the coil wraps touching together nice, even and straight and it vaped just great. Also had the smallest break in period, tasted just great after only a few minutes. I have a theory that with all the coils seperated if one is touching it's bad because it causes hot spots, but with all the wraps touching together evenly it makes a uniform heat throughout.

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Last edited:

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
I have a theory that with all the coils seperated if one is touching it's bad because it causes hot spots, but with all the wraps touching together evenly it makes a uniform heat throughout.

Not quite. If the coils would actually touch, they would have an electrical connection between them, and the resistance of the coil would be something like 0.2 ohms. That's a technically a short, and will either fry a battery or engage the battery protection.

I agree that the best setup is with the coil windings very close to eachother. That way the heat created will be higher. Luckily, usually when making such coil the windings will not actually touch. Also, after pushing the coil windings together they will often spring back just enough not to touch eachother.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Not quite. If the coils would actually touch, they would have an electrical connection between them, and the resistance of the coil would be something like 0.2 ohms. That's a technically a short, and will either fry a battery or engage the battery protection.

I agree that the best setup is with the coil windings very close to eachother. That way the heat created will be higher. Luckily, usually when making such coil the windings will not actually touch. Also, after pushing the coil windings together they will often spring back just enough not to touch eachother.

I wrapped them so they were uniformly touching instead of squeezing together. The ohm reading reads 2.4 -.6 base reading, same as usual. If it is a bad thing, it's preforming just great. Been using these coils for the last couple weeks so far with no problems yet.

zippersnapper

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2012
Is there a reason fo the shameless plugs? You did the same thing with that same link on one of my threads. If a mod sees you keep doing this you'll be outta here.

By the way, all you're showing us is a vivi with a metal tank cover. WHY would you want to cover a clear tank??

I didnt think sharing an extreamly nice variation to a very popular piece of vaping gear was a "shameless plug"...please excuse.

As far as why "anyone would want to cover a clear tank" is simple...These are a very nice way to "class up" what most people consider a low budget tank. If I owned a $250.00 + GGTS or any other high dollar MOD, I would love to have the excellent and cheap vaping quality the Nova tanks afford, and have it look respectible on a nice shiny chromne or polished high dollar mod.

I personally Like to see my juice levels, and these afford the looks along with a sight window.

Once again, did not mean to offend, but was mearly passing on to everyone something I was excited about, and thought others would enjoy...Vape on..

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
I didnt think sharing an extreamly nice variation to a very popular piece of vaping gear was a "shameless plug"...please excuse.

As far as why "anyone would want to cover a clear tank" is simple...These are a very nice way to "class up" what most people consider a low budget tank. If I owned a $250.00 + GGTS or any other high dollar MOD, I would love to have the excellent and cheap vaping quality the Nova tanks afford, and have it look respectible on a nice shiny chromne or polished high dollar mod.

I personally Like to see my juice levels, and these afford the looks along with a sight window.

Once again, did not mean to offend, but was mearly passing on to everyone something I was excited about, and thought others would enjoy...Vape on..

Well, if I made a mistake, then please excuse me. Everyone makes mistakes, I'll admit when I'm wrong.

...Its just that your post had every quality of a thinly-veiled plug- and so did your post on the other thread I mentioned. In fact, before I posted it looks like someone tried calling you on it over there as well- a bit more harshly than I did though, lol...

It's great to be excited about products...but everything has its place. If you love it so much, why not post a new thread in the "Tanks" section about it?

If you're truly just another guy who loves his Novas- and has no affiliation to the page you linked in your posts, than sorry to be a ..... And, please don't take this the wrong way, but there are probably better threads for those posts, where they'll get more love. Vape On.

Hope everyone enjoys their evening.

To be back on topic- I'm not sure why some people get good results without twisting the leads or adding NR wire, while others like me have continuous problems. After building genesis systems for awhile now, it seems that even short runs of exposed R wire get red-hot, and I'm not sure why it doesn't happen with the long leads on rebuilt (and stock, for that matter) vivi's. I guess the only thing I can say is that if it's working for ya, be grateful and enjoy it ;)

Also, if you're using it on low wattage, like on an ego and at standard resistance, perhaps it stays cool enough along the entire run of wire that it won't get overheated. But honestly, you got me there. I don't know for sure.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I'm still confused about twisting the legs. I haven't been doing it and have had no problems. Maybe because I'm not a high watt vaper the melting grommet is not an issue?

The only time I have had grommet burn is with twisted legs. I have had no problem with just running the legs down, also cotton is so wet I think it cools everything down a lot better. Plus I'm using 33 gauge nr, thinner wire seems to cool down really fast. There is nothing wrong with twisting the legs if it works for anyone but twisting seems to give me more problems.

xMackx, I noticed this wonder property (wheres the shorting) in coils touching. I noted this safe property in the "Spin E" coil & found it to be apparently short safe somehow? How I do not know. I speculate dc electrons somehow can not jump the touching wraps somehow?

I first suspected the unexplained magic was @ play in the bauway ce4s that I harvest to obtain the Whole E Grail ceramic cups.

They seemed scary close to me.
GyOkH.png

I also notice like mrelwood speaks about with the slight micro tad spring away from each other effect if pushed tightly. I do think that may be what is going on in the ce4, but due to things like manufacturing defects such closeness of proximity seemed down right dangerous (@ first).

Then I said, I shall apply pressure to make all coils touch:blink:! & see what happens.(safely on a ac7 & an ohm meter;)) Here is a tad bit more than 4 inches of 28 gauge spun into a "Spin E" coil shape that I pressed together hard, then even harder!:blink:, & most if not all coils touched. Why no short?
uwYmk.png

I then shoved a low resistance pin into the coil. It brought it down, but not down the "path of least resistance" my simple mind wants to try think it should as learned.
XKT22.png

I guess the coils themselves are a safety mechanism somehow. Is it because the electrons only travel the outside in DC & the outer dimensions are about the same because even if they touched? It is only a tiny oo tad OO that actually touches when two circles touch!, so the outside path is not reduced much?

No matter what the case, I would love to see the path the electrons spin & take. It is easy to imagine a single wire with its flow, but this is not easy to wrap my minds eye to.

Hopefully wisdom greater than my guessery can shed more info?

Errol said
Looking forward to your next top secret weapon.
Link in my sig & a bit above.

I do believe I have found a cradle for the massive 510ego head that will not fit under the hood of the Vivi. The "VZ nova" from vapingzone appears to be a short downtube Vivi V1. It may be workable clay...

8N9cC.gif

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
I wrapped them so they were uniformly touching instead of squeezing together. The ohm reading reads 2.4 -.6 base reading, same as usual. If it is a bad thing, it's preforming just great. Been using these coils for the last couple weeks so far with no problems yet.

If it reads 2.4 ohms, the coils are not actually touching, they are just really really close. Or there is a small layer of oxidation or other non-conductive substances on top. All good.

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
I speculate dc electrons somehow can not jump the touching wraps somehow?

DC electrons and AC electrons are the same electrons, and they ALWAYS take the easiest path. If a conducting material touches conductive material, that's where the electrons will go from. They don't care about the shape of the objects (at these voltages/frequencies).

The Kanthal I have do seem to have a very thin non-conductive or badly conductive layer on top. If you take a multimeter and touch the wire just lightly, it will not show the correct resistance, but if you press the prongs heavily against the wire, you get the correct reading. Therefore even when the coils are apparently touching, the coating prevents electrical contact.

But I do recommend being careful, as not all Kanthal might have the same coating, or the coating might get scuffed when wrapping, or it might burn out when in use, etc...

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
I want to start by stating that on the "Spin E" coil, the goal is to not have the coils touch. Coils too close defeat the purpose, as the tiny (but existent) coil gaps are a type of surface tension well for Eliquid to enter the "Spin E". I simply have noticed that when they do touch accidentally, extreme short shorts do not happen to me. (in my experiences)

mrelwood I wish my (NEW) morning experiment backed up your excellent oxidation explanation.

DC electrons and AC electrons are the same electrons, and they ALWAYS take the easiest path.
Maybe something in the design of a coils structure creates an easier path? I do not know.
1g2bV.png

If the gap can not handle the energy flow of an ecig battery mod sends, does it avoid the slightly touching almost gaplike chasm?:unsure: Or could it be that my ohm meter is not pumping enough current to bridge the slightly touching chasm?(it uses 2aa):unsure:

I then took the unit placed it 1.83 ohms, (like an idiot) on a kicked 5 watt & got a 3.19 volt reading. this gives about 5.56.
TjblL.jpg

It appeared to have coils touching,( I was not going to squeeze this one:evil:)
CMkZR.png

but upon closer inspection. They are not touching @ all. I feel this is the spring back effect of pushing together coils that mrelwood & I experience. In short(pun intended) the coils structure is seemingly innately prevents shorts. That said, I feel that other factors are @ play as well(due to my pinching them on the live meter.).
Dj8G4.png

[*This mornings test]I took about 2 inches of 28 gauge & very briskly steel wooled it until I was sure any oxidation would be removed.
Here is the result.
<---click for video

When I read your oxidation postulation, I was hoping oxidation could explain the unexplained.

Gdeal, I saw a post this morning about someone mentioning (high temp) enameled nichrome (I had not ever heard of it) & I also immediately said those CE4 wires look like they have primer on them. My CE4s are now to be used by me ONLY to harvest the ceramic & no use beforehand. The mystery solder in them made me uneasy anyway.

8N9cC.gif

mrelwood

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Finland, Europe.
MISTer E. I don't have a Flash enabled device in my hand right now so I can't watch the video. But it seems a bit redundant for me to explain the basics of how electricity conducts in a wire. As you are clearly very enthusiastic about testing and learning, I suggest you replace the coil wire with something else that is conductive and compare your results. I would think there is a lot to read on conductivity if you happen to feel like it.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Mister E, thanks for the well done experiment as my coil touching idea probably made me look like a heretic lol. I was thinking maybe that the path of least resistants could still be the solid wire rather than the miniscule amount touching? I don't know, I was also thinking it also does not take long for oxidation/carbon build up to insulate the coil wraps? Glad to see others investigate this more thoroughly than me.

I have been wrapping my coils like this for a little while now. I have been using my ego passthrough (batteryless) to test my coils because it has an amazing short circuit protection compared to my batteries, even if everything reads fine on the multimeter if there is a short anywhere it picks it up.

mrelwood, maybe later you can view the video, but is me pinching the coil without a hard short short occurring. I believe this is more than & beyond the basics of how electricity conducts in a wire. I think maybe the shape of coils/filaments may have something to do with it. I am not learned in electricity much @ all & just seeking solid answers. I do need to do more reading ;)

I did spin more than 6 inches of pure nickle low resistance wire & got the similar results(great suggestion BTW). I am :unsure: what is happening, but something seemingly confuses mE.
<--click for video
My logic tells mE when the coils touch, the outside diameter should become like a solid wire, causing the electrons to spin its outside diameter(& not travel the full 6 inches). & yet no noticeable jump on the meter. My (maybe failed) logic tells me more than six inches should be reduced if all coils touched to simulate about 1 inch of thicker gauge wire which would seemingly have less resistance.

:unsure: what is going on

xMackx I have been wondering why little? if any? to no reports of battery explosions due to coil manufacturing defects or unlearned rebuilds. [Stacked batteries seem to be @ the root of all hard short explosion stories that i have read about & not coil shorts]

28 awg @ low ohms is becoming popular to the vaping community by way of people such as Rip Trippers. No reports of R.I.P. vapers yet due to hard shorts on low ohm 28 that I know of. (& I hope none ever happen due to some unseen (as of now) magic in my mind.)

Hey Rip, why do you want trippers dead? lol :blink: Just kidding Rip ;)

8N9cC.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread