Vivi Nova Resistance level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

julesb

Feb 16, 2013
Dallas, Texas
I am about to purchase the Vivi Nova, but am not sure which resistance I should get. With the Stardust I have been using, I prefer the higher resistance, but I am not sure what level that is considered. At my local store they are simply marked "Normal Resistance" (which doesn't burn out as quickly & what I normally purchase) and then "Low Resistance" they don't have the actual ohm # on it. GotVapes has 1.8ohms, 2.4ohms, 2.8ohms & 3.2ohms any suggestions on what lasts longest and doesn't burn as hot? I am not very familiar with all the technicalities (if you can't tell!!lol)

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I feel so dumb! haha...how do I know what volts I am using??

Here are instructions on how to change the voltage:
How to use the battery of Joyetech eGO c upgrade.

One setting at 3.3 volts and the battery lasts longer. The other setting the battery starts at 4.2 volts BUT most of the time fires at 3.7 volts and slowly drains down to 3.2 volts at which time it turns off.

Jeff M

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2013
Houston
I know. Don't worry. You'll be fine. They all fit the same. It's just that the lower resistance ones burn hotter. It won't matter. They'll gunk up in 3 days just like all the others you tried. Then, you will use that spool of wire described in my thread and the new wick. You will rebuild them, and they will no longer be the same resistance. They will be whatever that wire makes them. They are fine on both of my batteries. You either have a variable voltage battery where you can adjust the voltage, or you have a standard battery. Standard batteries are 3.7 volts. You will be fine. Pull the trigger and stop worrying. You'll see.

TattooedSkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2013
Las Vegas
Your average ego battery operates at 3.7v and 1.5-1.7ohms is a great sweet spot. Vapor production will be great with that combination. However, coil life will not be great (depending on your vaping habits) so you have to choose between performance or life. If you google volt and ohm chart they will have a basic chart for a better and refined understanding.

Oktyabr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2009
Next to the ocean, WA
oktyabr.wordpress.com
One setting at 3.3 volts and the battery lasts longer. The other setting the battery starts at 4.2 volts BUT most of the time fires at 3.7 volts and slowly drains down to 3.2 volts at which time it turns off.

It's late and I might be getting a bit foggy but I remember reading somewhere just today that a given voltage with a higher resistance will consume less amperage than the same voltage on a lower resistance. If this is correct then shouldn't the opposite be true? Shouldn't say a 2.4 ohm attachment use less amperage at a higher voltage than a lower voltage setting? If so then lower amperage = longer battery life... correct? :confused:

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
It's late and I might be getting a bit foggy but I remember reading somewhere just today that a given voltage with a higher resistance will consume less amperage than the same voltage on a lower resistance.

It's getting late and I'm also getting :confused: but yes you're right.

Shouldn't say a 2.4 ohm attachment use less amperage at a higher voltage than a lower voltage setting? If so then lower amperage = longer battery life... correct?

It depends on how much higher the voltage is. To be honest I really never got deep into the electrical side of vaping except to know LR drains a batt quickly with a warmer vape while SR drains slower but gives a cooler vape. I use a 1.8 ohms at 4- 4.2 volts and a 1000 mah is good for 6-7 hrs tops. If I use the 2.4 ohms at 4'ish volts I get 10 hrs vape time but it's a cooler vape which I don't care for. That's the main reason I ordered the Vamo- battery life

Kagey K

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
Canada
K I'm a bit confused after reading this.

I have an Ego t that I keep around 4.2 and an eGo c upgrade that I have turned on "yellow" and am using vivi's with 2.8ohm in both. On my upgrade I should be running lower heads 2.4? 1.8? I found my ego c upgrade was running poorer then the t unless fully charged but I always assumed it was the controlled voltage that gave me the boost on the t.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
It's late and I might be getting a bit foggy but I remember reading somewhere just today that a given voltage with a higher resistance will consume less amperage than the same voltage on a lower resistance. If this is correct then shouldn't the opposite be true? Shouldn't say a 2.4 ohm attachment use less amperage at a higher voltage than a lower voltage setting? If so then lower amperage = longer battery life... correct? :confused:

Exactly. Power is expressed by watts, which is simply voltage x amperage. For any given voltage higher resistance means less amps, so less watts, less power consumed. Higher resistance means less, amps, less watts and less heat from the coil as well, less chance of a burnt taste. But if you go too far with the resistance you get too little heat to vape well. You can modify heat as well by drawing more or less air across the coil as well.The higher you raise the resistance the softer you will likely have to draw to get good vapor as a strong draw will cool the coil too much.

The coil can hit about 1500 degrees I think, well over a thousand anyway. All that keeps it from burning is liquid and air draw keeping it cool. Everyone has to figure out what wattage works best with their wick system and their preferred air draw that keeps the wick wet and the coil in the right temperature range to vape but not burn. If you have a strong draw a lower res might be better, if you like a slow easy draw then a higher res might work better for you. If your ecig wicks really really good a lower res might be better and if it doesn't wick that fast a higher res might be better.

It's a balance you have to find for yourself as it's different for individual devices and individual air draw habits. Then if you go to a higher voltage you kinda have to figure out a whole new balance at that higher voltage.

That's been my experience anyway. If your using variable voltage I would go for higher res, 2.4 at least then crank voltage up from minimum a little at a time till you hit your sweet spot.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Your average ego battery operates at 3.7v and 1.5-1.7ohms is a great sweet spot. Vapor production will be great with that combination. However, coil life will not be great (depending on your vaping habits) so you have to choose between performance or life. If you google volt and ohm chart they will have a basic chart for a better and refined understanding.

Ahem, no it does not. An eGo battery operates at 3.3-3.4Ω regulated voltage.

K I'm a bit confused after reading this.

I have an Ego t that I keep around 4.2 and an eGo c upgrade that I have turned on "yellow" and am using vivi's with 2.8ohm in both. On my upgrade I should be running lower heads 2.4? 1.8? I found my ego c upgrade was running poorer then the t unless fully charged but I always assumed it was the controlled voltage that gave me the boost on the t.

An eGo-C upgrade can be run in a regulated mode (3.3Ω--like any other plain eGo, see above) or unregulated (starts at 4.2v, quickly goes down to 3.7v--and stays there for most of the time, until it drops off to 3.3 or 3.2v, at which point it needs to be recharged again.

Joye eGo-C Upgrade Battery, Joyetech eGo C Upgrade battery, eGo-C Upgrade battery[

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

Voltage and wattage are often misunderstood by new vapers. It all boils down to the wattage (heat, power) that your PV generates. Wattage = Voltage (of your battery) squared divided be the Resistance (Ω) of your atomizer. If you're not good at math, don't worry, use this easy calculator:

Online Conversion - Ohm's Law Calculator

The wattage you want, especially at the beginning of your vaping career, should be somewhere between 4.5 and 8.5 Watts. Anything lower than 4.5 may not vaporize your juice properly and will not produce enough warmth and vapor. Anything above 8.5 W increases the risk of burning the filler in your cartos (if you're using them) and even some juices, especially the delicate ones.

Tobaccos, chocolate and coffees require more wattage (heat), while fruit and other delicate flavors do better with less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread