Status
Not open for further replies.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I was fortunate to win a new voopoo drag Nano from a Voopoo giveaway kindly run on ECF. My thanks to @VOOPOO_Thea for the giveaway and their support of this forum. However, my opinion is based on my use of the device and not how I received it. So onward.

The Voopoo Drag Nano is their new tiny pod system which takes its design cues from the Drag line from Voopoo. When the Drag was released, the aesthetics made a clear statement about Voopoo's vision for their products, and changed the look and design of box mods offered by other companies hoping to capitalize on the success of such a pleasing design. They continued this design though their Drag 2, Drag mini, and now their Drag Nano. The striking design is well executed across the Drag series, and I give Voopoo credit for staying with an aesthetic design that is both beautiful to look at and immediately recognizable as a Voopoo product.

The Drag Nano is an into the pod mod system with the goal (I'm pretty sure it was their thought process) of a simple MTL draw activated device. In photos you'll see Nano is not a marketing word but really describes what they accomplished. In brief, it contains a 750 mAh battery regulated by a GENE chip to provide a constant 3.5V to their 1.8 ohm coil in a 1 ml pod.. The small volume and high resistance coil is designed for high concentration nic salt use. So let's dive in to some photos.

IMG_2626.jpeg

The presentation box is clean and suggests a quality pod inside. This doesn't look like a cheap disposable pod in any way.

IMG_2629.jpeg

Opening the box you'll find your Drag Nano wrapped in a protective cover, a 1.8 ohm pod, a usb charging cable, and a lanyard if you want to ear this around your neck for ease of use and less aggrivation looking around for where you left the little thing.

IMG_2630.jpeg

This is the star of the show, a miniature Drag. There's no confusing who made this product as it fits the design line perfectly..

IMG_2633.jpeg

The reverse side has the classic Drag logo. The SS/Silver finish is nicely polished, and the little line pattern around the logo does help minimize fingerprints, the bane of every shiny silver finish on mods of any size.

Now, some size comparisons to really see how much they were able to achieve in a small form factor.
IMG_2635.jpeg

This is the Nano versus an Innokin EQ. I like the EQ, which has an 850 mAh battery and a 2 ml pod with a 0.5 ohm coil. Because of the lower resistance of the coil in the pod, it is possibly to run the battery down with sustained use. Cramming a 750 mAh battery into a smaller device and using a lower powered 1.8 ohm coil gives the Nano an edge in run time. While the smaller volume of liquid may seem a limitation, the ability to use a higher nic salt juice makes for far fewer draws to get the same nicotine satisfaction. It is a very tight MTL draw, so delivery is both efficient and satisfying and certainly will please a new smoker for whom the draw closely resemble a cigarette, or a longer term user who enjoys a MTL experience and wants something easy to fit in the tightest jean pocket they may have for out and about and know they can get a day's use from the battery.

Another size comparison

IMG_2636.jpeg

The Z Biip is a new podlike design from Innokin. It uses interchangeable Zenith coils in a 2 ml pod tank section, and offers a 1,500 mAh battery. It is huge in comparison to the Drag Nano.

Voopoo provides a very nice, simple instruction manual, and a metal lanyard I alluded to before. The lanyard is an awfully nice necklace that looks like a pretty piece of jewelry compared to the more simple thread style necklace usually provided. The hook for it is right on the top of the mode, so no need to slide any sort of holder around the device to detract from the appearance.

IMG_2639.jpeg

So, on to use. The Drag Nano charges by a usb port on the bottom. On one side is a light indicator for battery status, green, yellow and red, in keeping with the standard these days so it's simple to figure out where you stand. A full charge seems to take a bit over an hour, and the instruction manual states it charges at 500 mAh. It lights up with each draw. It also light up green when you insert the pod successfully so you.re sure it's properly seated.

The pod itself is a simple rectangular shape with a removable mouthpiece that also covers the fill hole. The fill hole is large enough for just about any unicorn bottle you have, and, if you're careful, even a dropper (as I was forced to discover as my only nic salt blueberry 45 mg juice only comes with one). I'd really try to avoid the dropper as it's a slow and careful process, but I'm amazed I haven't made a mess yet.

The device does not use a fire button, it is draw activated. I will readily admit that as a more restricted DL vaper I'm used to an easy draw, and I had to get used to taking a harder pull to get it to activate. The adjustment only took me a few minutes and immediately reminded me of a cigarette draw. As I really don't tolerate a high nic concentration anymore., even with a salt, I was surprised to find this a very smooth vape, likely due to the low voltage, high resistance choices made by Voopoo to allow just enough to be vaporized without overdoing it. However, as someone who usually takes 3 or 4 draws in a row when vaping, I sure couldn't do it with this, as I could feel too much nic in my system after only 2 draws. And that's OK, most MTL users don't chain vape with high nic salts. The flavor was OK, but not as good as other pods I've tried. Still, it did fulfill my nic requirements, which in most situations when running around is sufficient for me, and there's no doubt it's the smallest pod I've played with that has enough battery capacity to make bringing a backup battery unnecessary..

So, Pros and cons.

Pros
  • An aesthetically pleasing pod mod that appears to be high quality and almost jewelry-like in appearance, especially when suspended on the included silver metal necklace
  • Excellent battery capacity. I still don't know how they got 750 mAh into such a small form factor
  • A constant voltage thanks to the GENE chip, so it's an even vape throughout the charge cycle of the battery
  • And easy to fill and replace pod
  • I'll put this under pros, looking for replacement pods in the US I turned up prices of $8-9 for a pack of 4, so well priced for your ongoing consumable budget
  • Draw activated for new vapers who want to simulate the experience of drawing on a cigarette.
  • Simple status reporting
Cons (mostly subjective)
  • You do need to remove the pod to see your juice level. This isn't all that unusual in pod systems, but some sort of window would have been nice. I know it would break the clean lines, but as a subjective issue I like to see what's remaining without pulling the pod out to check it every so often
  • I understand the reasoning behind the 1 ml volume decision for the pod, but with the type of battery life this offers, even a 1.5 ml volume would be useful, even if it meant the top mouthpiece had to be a little taller
  • The flavor from the pod is OK, but there are other pods out that offer better flavor. As taste is subjective, YMMV, so that's not a hard and fast negative
  • I wish they included two pods in the box rather than one. Having a buyer need to immediately purchase extra pods is a little annoyance, as the buyer hasn't even had a chance to see if they like the system
So, the Drag Nano is a small and simple pod mod to use, with a large battery capacity for its size, and a high quality look that stands out from the crowd. I can see it filling several user categories.
  1. The new vaper coming from a cigarette. Th draw activation is perfect for that, and really feels like a pull on a cigarette filter
  2. A MTL user who wants something super small to pop in a pocket for a day out and about
  3. Any user looking for a super small, stealthy mod which is easily palmed and can be used with little to no vapor on exhale if you hold it for a few seconds and sufficient nic with a high concentration salt to satisfy your needs without vaping every few minutes.
All in all I think they did a nice job designing this. It works well in its current design. A slightly larger juice capacity would be nice, but not a deal breaker, and an extra pod out of the box would, in my opinion, be more appropriate. Otherwise, if you fall into any of the user categories I listed, it's a solid choice in a crowded market, and aesthetically certainly stands out very well.

Attachments

• IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    893.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Awesome review @Eskie - I won and use a voopoo rota pod, so it was cool to compare them ;)

However it looks like (from reading your review) they've done a much better job with the nano. Bigger battery than the rota (rota has 340mah). But the rota has a larger pod (1.5ml compared to the nano at 1ml) so your comment was spot on, that they could've increased the capacity of the pod.

Thank you :wub:

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    Thank you all for your kind words and support. Doing these reviews really isn't easy, as you realize someone is going to be influenced to spend their good money on something, and you want to be as clear, objective, and accurate as possible. Hopefully it will be that for someone along the way.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread