Vortex cleaning help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANCHASER

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
LAKE WALES
I have been using the vortex for a week now and yep I still love them. Packed up all my other ce2's as I will not be using them again, all I need is my vortex and my ego and I'm good to go. I figure after all the refills they have gone through this week that I should probably give them a cleaning. Is there anyone out there that has cleaned theirs yet that can tell me how to do it or has anyone made a video yet. I appreciate any advice you can give. Again love these cartos.

PattyR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Sunshine State, USA
Hi Canchaser,

Someone mentioned using an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning his vortexes, but I can't remember who it was. Hopefully, he'll chime in and let us know how he's doing that and how well it works for him.

For myself, I disassemble the vortex, rinse the atty under hot tap water, blow out the excess water, let it dry for a couple hours, re-assemble the vortex, screw it on my vaping device, do a few 5 second dry burns until the atty's coil glows orange, fill the vortex and vape. Sounds like a lot of trouble, but it really isn't. The only snag that you might run into is that taking apart a vortex and putting it back together might encourage the base of the tube to leak a little. Some of mine have leaked, some of them haven't.

Does this help?

P.S. You in Lake Wales, FL? If so, "hi, neighbor!" I'm in Lakeland :)

I have been using the vortex for a week now and yep I still love them. Packed up all my other ce2's as I will not be using them again, all I need is my vortex and my ego and I'm good to go. I figure after all the refills they have gone through this week that I should probably give them a cleaning. Is there anyone out there that has cleaned theirs yet that can tell me how to do it or has anyone made a video yet. I appreciate any advice you can give. Again love these cartos.

CANCHASER

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
LAKE WALES
Thanks Patty and yes I am in Lake Wales, nice to find someone close that uses an ecig. Everyone around here looks at me like I'm crazy lol. To take these apart do you just remove the outer tube or do you disassemble both tubes. Also do you put it all back together before you dry burn it. Sorry I have no clue on how to take these apart, but they are definately my new carto of choice. I have been using the same 3 for a week with no issues other than the mouthpiece being loose. Easy fix cut a hole in carto condom and put that over the top of the mouthpiece and it keeps it in place.

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Someone mentioned using an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning his vortexes, but I can't remember who it was. Hopefully, he'll chime in and let us know how he's doing that and how well it works for him.

that wasn't me, but i'll chime in...

a cheep ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (around $30) works great for cleaning atties & cartos (haven't used on a vortex yet)
always use distilled water.

but, if you happen to have a good, professional ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (around $300 for low end one)
DO NOT USE IT TO CLEAN ATTIES OR CARTOS!!!
(i speak from experience, oops... )

Last edited:

PattyR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Sunshine State, USA
I ordered a cheap ultrasonic cleaner a couple of days ago to check it out on my Vortexes and LR510 and LR306 attys. After I've gotten it and tried it out, I'll post a message about my findings.

(thanks for the warning about expensive professional ultrasonic cleaners. Not that I'd spring for $300+ for one, but someone might have one on-hand and give it a try like you did :)

that wasn't me, but i'll chime in...

a cheep ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (around $30) works great for cleaning atties & cartos (haven't used on a vortex yet)
always use distilled water.

but, if you happen to have a good, professional ultrasonic jewelry cleaner (around $300 for low end one)
DO NOT USE IT TO CLEAN ATTIES OR CARTOS!!!
(i speak from experience, oops... )

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
I ordered a cheap ultrasonic cleaner a couple of days ago to check it out on my Vortexes and LR510 and LR306 attys. After I've gotten it and tried it out, I'll post a message about my findings.

(thanks for the warning about expensive professional ultrasonic cleaners. Not that I'd spring for $300+ for one, but someone might have one on-hand and give it a try like you did :)

Patty please post your thoughts after your eval. I bought a La Sonic from Bed Bath and Beyond for $30 and tried it out yesterday. I put 4 BODE cartos, one 801 Fusion, and two 808 cartos into boiling water in the sonic cleaner and let it run for 15 minutes or so. Water was dark with the juices from the cartos. Rinsed and repeated. They are now drying and in a few days I'll give them a test to see if cleaning with an ultra sonic cleaner is worthwhile or not.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
The Ultrasonic Cleaner did work for me on 3 cycles.
It does take a while to get all the water out of an unmodded one...several puffs got it going for me again when I was too impatient to let it air dry.

Having said all that...I now put the Vortex on a battery, carefully remove both sleeves, remove the filler band, and give it 2 or three wraps with teflon plumbers tape (used in water and gas lines...oderless/tasteless/non-toxic) starting just below the wicks, if it's going to be a really thick juice I might pull the inner tube up slightly so there is a little more room for the wicks to work...then put it all back together. Next I trim the excess tape that sticks out of the bottom of the carto. Fill it and vape...once juice touches that teflon tape it'll turn clear. While as far as I know...the tape is not labled as 'food safe' and all that jazz...it is worthy of noting that it is used in private, commerical, industrial, and medical grade plumbing, distilling, lubrication, and breathable gas systems every day.

Without the ALF, I find flavor is better and it goes a few more refills before cleaning is needed.

From there, if you have an ultrasonic cleaner...great :)

If not...you can usually just run hot water through it.
If it stops vaping well but obviously still burns...you can take it apart, clean, and burn it off (dry burn or use a propane torch to give it a good cooking).

Last edited:

PattyR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Sunshine State, USA
Repent, I ordered a New Trent 2800 Ultrasonic cleaner. It should be here any day now and I'll post an eval as soon as I get it and try it out.

Patty please post your thoughts after your eval. I bought a La Sonic from Bed Bath and Beyond for $30 and tried it out yesterday. I put 4 BODE cartos, one 801 Fusion, and two 808 cartos into boiling water in the sonic cleaner and let it run for 15 minutes or so. Water was dark with the juices from the cartos. Rinsed and repeated. They are now drying and in a few days I'll give them a test to see if cleaning with an ultra sonic cleaner is worthwhile or not.

CANCHASER

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2010
LAKE WALES
I took one apart with no problem and removed the alf. I rinsed the atty part in warm water put it back on the battery, dry burned and put the thing back together, super easy and no leaks of any kind without applying anything to the atty end. Again I love these things, easy to fill, great to vape and to my surprise easy to clean. Woohoo.

Amy41996

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 21, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, United States
I took one apart with no problem and removed the alf. I rinsed the atty part in warm water put it back on the battery, dry burned and put the thing back together, super easy and no leaks of any kind without applying anything to the atty end. Again I love these things, easy to fill, great to vape and to my surprise easy to clean. Woohoo.

Have no probs with the vortex, just fill and vape.....but cleaning is something i am not looking forward to.....but will get to it when i dont feel lazy and try something new :)

PattyR

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2009
Sunshine State, USA
Hi MimiPuff! I've run into several vapers on this forum who are from our area. I still haven't seen any other people actually vaping around these parts, though.

Wow, I never dreamed anyone lived close to me in here. Not just one, but 2. : ) I live south of you 2, in Wauchula. : )
Hi neighbors : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread