Vortex and a weird plastic taste, not burnt taste, a "plasticy" printed circuit board taste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
Good morning all;

I've read all the various posts on the Vortex. I had read a post from a user that mentioned their Vortex having a plastic taste. Cannot find that post again so I wanted to start another thread that really only dealt with a plastic taste, either a burnt plastic taste (not my current predicament) or tasting a plastic taste when vaping the Vortex.

Firstly, let me state that when the Vortex first came out I bought two packs to try them out. From the beginning I tasted a plastic taste added into the taste of the juice. The juices in question are both from Tasty Vapor, and have the "extra" flavor option. First is Tastyfinger, other is waffles. Both are 70/30 w/extra flavoring.

Shortly after getting the plastic taste, recommendations on removing the filter sheet were made. I tried that on the first two Vortex I opened, but found they leaked like a sieve afterwards. Tried to repair them using Gum Arabic, but that only ended up getting GA on the ends of the wicks, which of course sealed the wicks and ruined them. Into the garbage they went. Took GA back to store for refund. :)

I put the Vortex on the shelf and tried my new Turbine. More on that in another thread. Just a few days ago I ordered some juice and more Turbines and Vortexes. Now have four boxes of Vortex. Tried the Vortex again yesterday. Same plastic taste. I hadn't removed the filter yet because I wanted to come back to them to re-evaluate, and wanted to restart my evaluation from the beginning.

After getting the plasticy odd taste again, I removed the filter and lifted the cup slightly to aid in the wicking effect. Same plastic taste. Don't think I can refer to this as a burned plastic taste, because to me I would think burnt plastic would be acrid in taste. This isn't acrid tasting.

I removed the stock mouthpiece and put of one of my drip tips. I used a flat spacer from a CE2 under the mouthpiece and it sealed off the tube nicely. I then noted great flavor for about 8 hits, then back to the plastic taste. In looking at the wick and cup under heavy magnification, it appears that the wick is split in half by the split in the cup where it seats on the connector. I'll disassemble and re-orientate
the cup so that all the wick is exposed and possibly lift the cup even further off the wicks. I should note that after taking these two Vortex apart, I saw some leaking initially after they sat on my desk for 15 minutes, but after the initial time of leaking, they haven't leaked again and they sat on my desk overnight and this morning, desk was bone dry. This was with the standard tips installed and the filter removed.

I opened another fresh Vortex just now to give it a good smell. The plastic taste I'm getting I can smell from the fresh Vortex I just opened. I removed the tip, and in smelling it all by itself, appears to be the major source of the plastic off smell/taste. I smelled the tube by itself and couldn't detect much if any plastic smell. The other two mouthpieces used now smell like the juice I'm vaping so the smell is masked by the juice but I think the taste of plastic is still coming through.

After these two are tossed out I'm going to mod a Vortex from the start and not use the mouthpiece at all but use the flat spacer/drip tip mod.

I work with computers, and if any others do, try smelling through the fan exhaust holes in the back of a brand new power supply or a new motherboard or new computer component with a PCB. Check them out before they have a chance to heat up and burn off/ lose that printed circuit board smell.

For discussion purposes (not to bash), I question the type/construction of plastic used in the Vortex. If you want to recreate the smell I refer to, take a new Vortex out of it's package, and immediately give it and the tip a good smell. Smell the tip all by itself. Place the Vortex in a sealed plastic baggie (usually devoid of any smell) for an hour, open it and immediately smell it. I don't think it's just me. I think you'll smell that plastic/PCB smell I refer to. I think that the smell/taste of the juice can mask this smell, but I believe the smell/taste is always there, just muted and or masked for most users. JMHO of course. You may try what I've stated and not discern a plastic or PCB smell. YMMV.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
I'm the IT Director at a manufacturing firm that uses plastic pellets as a raw material to create our product. We get the plastic straight off the boat from China. I know that there are many types/grades/compositions of plastic. I would be interested to know, if it's not a trade secret, not sure why it would be, especially if a patent is applied for, exactly what the plastic materials are in the Vortex, to include the tube, tip, and cup.

I'm almost willing to bet that the type of plastic used can have the tendency to carry off tastes. I know we have an independent lab certify the exact composition of the plastic we use.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
I tasted exactly what you are describing. I even removed the mouthpiece. I vape desert cowboy which is strong but could still taste it. I gave up on the vortex's and sold mine. Great idea but the Chinese need to use better, non-smelly plastic.

Hairball it may have been your post I'm referring to. I know I've read a lot of your posts. You seem to be knowledgeable on the topics you speak of.

I'm not saying I'm an expert on anything, but 16 years in law enforcement and detectives (retired LE and military and onto my third "career") I think I'm a pretty good investigator and pretty adapt in putting pieces of a puzzle together.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
thise juices you describe, from tv and the other give me a plastic taste on matter what i try them on, geofs blend, atomic, and 4 others, i ended up giving all those juices away this week. ive been saying that to daniel for months now and even if you look around ecf some people noticed the same thing with these juices, not sure. i taste it in any atty cart i try , except filler cartos which mute the plastic taste to me

now as to the wortex having a plastic taste, not sure, im not having that issue at all, pure and clean tasting here, I did run into 2 that i did like so i tossed thise and eon to new ones.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
thise juices you describe, from tv and the other give me a plastic taste on matter what i try them on, geofs blend, atomic, and 4 others, i ended up giving all those juices away this week. ive been saying that to daniel for months now and even if you look around ecf some people noticed the same thing with these juices, not sure. i taste it in any atty cart i try , except filler cartos which mute the plastic taste to me

now as to the Vortex having a plastic taste, not sure, I'm not having that issue at all, pure and clean tasting here, I did run into 2 that i did like so i tossed these and eon to new ones.

My experience is pretty much opposite from yours. In every other carto, save for the Vortex, I get the taste of the juice.

badkolo

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Whitestone , New York USA
yeah very wierd, that was my main complain with tv juices, contstant plastic taste and i like his juice alot that i would fight through it but i gave up, im using freedom, VB, LE , our juice, dekang and 5 other company juies in many vortex and turbines, all fine here, if your getting that taste in every vortex i would try a different juice in the vortex to test it.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
yeah very wierd, that was my main complain with tv juices, contstant plastic taste and i like his juice alot that i would fight through it but i gave up, im using freedom, VB, LE , our juice, dekang and 5 other company juies in many vortex and turbines, all fine here, if your getting that taste in every vortex i would try a different juice in the vortex to test it.

I have some juice from Pure Vapes I could try. Did you have any experience with Pure Vapes juice in the Vortex?

I've been wanting to try Dekang juice. Where can I find good Dekang juice?

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I'm with bad on the TV assessment.
I much like Geoff's juices, but some of his flavors eat my plastic dip tips and anything Clearo. I'll just have to use something else for those Tasty Vapor flavors I can't give up :) For the money (and a few needle tip bottles) A good metal Fluxomizer is very hard to beat :)

The Flux Nectar stuff that I have (some 8 flavors, including some with real and candy apple flavors) works great in everything I've tried. Great prices on that stuff too.

Still...stay on them about that PV plastic they use...if they sort that out...it'll leave all other cartos in the dust :)

Last edited:

clutchjunkie

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
SoCal
I know in mine I can taste the adhesive they use to hold the vortex together, on one the adhesive was on the coil itself and I finally had to chuck that one. The others I think i just got a bad batch, but the taste is there on all of them that i got. I wouldn't describe it as a "circuit board" smell, more of a "rubbery vegetable" smell.

Repent

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 18, 2010
Central Oregon
Well, now to update my thread on my Vortex experiences.

Yesterday I found the two pieces of the missing puzzle. Now my Vortex vape very nicely. Good vapor production and the flavor is finally as I hoped it would be.

My two fixes were this:
I inserted a flat seal from a CE2 onto the center tube and then a dip tip was inserted to meet up with the flat seal.
I then made sure the wicks were centered in the vertical slits in the cup piece. I pulled the cup up every so slightly from the 510 connector base so that the wicks weren't pinched or compressed in the slit. Seems like this is extremely important.

Concerns now:
When placing the flat seal into the tube, it fits tight enough now that pushing it in readily forces juice out of the bottom connector. I tried Bad's comment about tipping the Vortex upside down when inserting the seal so that only the air bubble is forced out of the connector instead of any juice. This does work, but can be clunky and you're going to lose juice no matter what when you try this. :( I'm going to punch an air hole in one side of the flat seal to see if that will help to relive pressure as the flat seal is put into place and to not force the juice through the connector. That and so it doesn't leak out the top now that it has an air vent hole.

If just a few mods were done to these at the factory they would be useable, for me, right out of the box.

Now I just need to figure out my issues with the Turbine and I'll be all set. My Turbine issues are very similar to my Vortex issues. With the turbine I'm not getting flavor, only the off taste. I'll post over in that thread.

BuddyGoodness

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Mississippi
Yeah I am having the same trouble. All I can taste is plastic, I don't inhale because of that. I let three of them sit for a while to see if that helped, still terrible. The plastic taste burns my tongue. I am kind of angry right now at gotvapes. Their fluxomisers don't work very well, and 3 of the 5 were doa. The sapphire I tried worked a day before crapping out. 65$ down the drain basically. Why is it so hard to find a decent cartomizer. Too bad they don't stand behind their products at all, should have known better than to buy from them.

Also, I have no idea how to mod anything, nor do I like the idea of having to do so just to get something to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread