Vv/vw mods, are mechs. Gonna fade away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lithiumdaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
With the advent of the DNA20 and NIVEL CHIP mods gaining popularity, do you think VW mods will rule the market in the next year? I do... It seems many sub 0hm vapers are finally jumping on the DNA20/NIVEL band wagon due to their ability to achieve 20 watt vaping power with their expensive gennie atomizers and have a steady set wattage vape through out their batterie(s) life. I was wondering if you think Mechanical or,(Dead Short Mods, as I call them, but love them) mod popularity would drop as this shift took place. I like mechanical mods but it, imho, they have become more of a collectors market than a top quality steady vaping experience. It reminds me of when fuel injection took over carborators in automobiles... Try and find a 4 barrel on the showroom floor these days! Just wondering what ya'all thought. Take care, daze

El_tecolote

Moved On
Apr 10, 2013
I own one DNA20D device and like it...a lot; however, I still rely on my sub-ohm RBAs and mechanicals. There is just something intangibly pleasing and difficult to explain in using a good mech with an RBA. To me, mechs are becoming more popular now that vapers are learning more about experimenting with RBAs. They may become obsolete but for antiquated guys like myself, I'll just keep on using the mechanicals when the chips fail.

dsy5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2010
New York
Actually, mechanical mods are starting to appear from various companies in an ever increaing number. Sigelei, for one, is marketing a boatload of mechnicals that are clones of some of the most popular ones.

With the ability to maintain them reasonably cheaply and the simplicity of no electronics, I do not think that they will soon be relegated to obscurity.

Last edited:

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
When you can make coils easily to whatever resistance you want - the need for vv/vw is rather unimportant compared to the resilient nature of mechanical mods.

I take your point about the vape being the same throughout the life of the battery, but that would suggest that it is 'holding out on me' when i put a new battery in?

I have a mechanical mod that i have dropped countless times and it works fine - i'd be terrified of dropping the wife's evic!

The maintenance is easier too - hot tap and a bit of detergent.

T

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
If the FDA as their way the only way we will be able to vape in the coming years is with a RBA on a mech. Worst case scenario, but possible nonetheless.

The only thing the FDA can control is Nicotine. They have no say in someone putting a regulator, switch, meter, etc. in a tube or box. The device might called something that doesn't include vaping or ecigs but these parts were available before ecigs and will always be available, same with flavorings, vg and pg.

As to the topic, I don't think mechs will fade away, to much of a following and market share. What I see possibly happening is all-in-one hybrid mechs/vv/vw devices becoming available where the onboard regulator can be bypassed to vape straight from the battery or a regulator added when needed. The Kick, Crown, etc. have already broken ground on the added modules although in the lower power range but as with anything else that will eventually evolve.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...It reminds me of when fuel injection took over carborators in automobiles... Try and find a 4 barrel on the showroom floor these days! Just wondering what ya'all thought. Take care, daze
You said it yourself. There will always be a segment of the population who wants the ability to be able to work on their own stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread