VV/VW what to use? Volts or Watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vap0rator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
San Clemente, CA USA
I've got a vamo, been trying different volts and watts settings. dont really to notice a difference. what do you use? watts or volts? what settings? I've read also that it depends on juice you're using? I'm using 24mg thick chocolate/carmel flavor. I would assume the juice has a lot to do with it as some are much thicker than others. :blink:

All in all i love my new setup, except the vamo is really heavy and with the long carto & tank, combined with the 18650 long battery, this thing is a tank and doesnt even fit in my pocket.

I guess I'm gonna have to get another setup for when i go out on the town or backpacking, since weight is an issue with my gear.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
it's really just two different roads to the same destination. If you use variable wattage, you set it at a certain watt and the vamo will read your atty resistance and put out the right voltage to get your desired watts. If you use variable voltage, you adjust your voltage to your atty resistance to get your desired watts. What your desired watts will be is dependent on you, your juice, and what you're looking for in your vape.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
For me I use variable wattage. But I am a more plug and play sort of person. With VW no matter what I put on the device it adjusts the volts to match ohms to give me my preferred wattage.

Other people LIKE to tweak things and for them VV is often what they prefer.

Nothing wrong with either way. Whatever keeps you off stinkies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
What watts do you set yours at? I heard 9 was optimal?

THAT is the question. See....different coils (aka different devices with coils in them) perform a little differently at a given wattage. So...lol...some coils work great at 7 watts, others are better at 8 or 9 watts. Then there's your personal preference.

The thing is....coil windings vary too, even on the same make-model carto. So if you put a multimeter on one brand X carto it may read 2.3 ohms. The next 2.4 and the next 2.2. So....the VW checks the ohms, adjusts the volts, to your set watts.

But if you turn around and screw on a Brand Y or Brand Z device...you may want to adjust it anyway.

So it depends on what you're doing. Ask the Ultra-Low ohms people about watts sometime. They use 28 gauge coil wire. Cool unless pumped up to high watts.

Another well respected member on here (TomCatt) just mentioned that his VW device only adjusts in 1/2 watt increments. This is common. However, he did the math and found it skipped tenths of volts. I forget the exact #'s, but he went from a 3.5 volt equivalent to a 3.7 volt equivalent (or something like that). lol.

Me? I have a little black dot on my otherwise unmarked vv dial. No readout. Nothing. I know about where the voltages are per the position of the dot. If I want a warmer vape...I turn it clockwise a bit. Cooler, and I turn it counterclockwise. That's all. Easy. :) ;)

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't have a PV with variable wattage, just the variable voltage. Since all of my delivery devices have the same resistance, I don't need variable wattage for that issue. I tend to adjust the voltage to the particular flavor that I'm vaping, and typically change flavors 3 - 4 times a day. So yeah, I'm a "tweeker". :D

dradeel

Mar 7, 2013
Trondheim, Norway
As long as you reach a good volt-ohm balance, there's no difference between using volts or watts. Generally, I'd say watt is just a lot more convenient to use. You can set it at one level and leave it there for most anything you put on it. Sometimes, depending on the device or the juice, you might want to bump it up 0.5 or 1 watt, or maybe bump it down just a tad. Adjust it to taste, basically!

The extra convenience with using watts on your Vamo is that it'll always remember the watt setting you have been using, while you need to re-set your volt settings all the time.

As for the "optimal level of watts", there is none. It's very dependent on your device, juice and most of all taste. Me, personally, find 7.5 watts to be a perfect benchmark for everything I put on. Sometimes I bump it up to 8 or 8.5, other times I lower it to 7, but mostly it'll stay on 7.5 watts. It does make a big difference. I dunno how much juices will affect it really, as I mostly vape thicker VG based liquids, but I think 7 watts is a good "median" to start from.

Also, I assume you've set it to the NO2 (RMS) setting (by holding the + or - button for 10 seconds), which is a more accurate setting and will give you the volts/watts you put it to. You should notice a big difference between say 9 watts and 5 watts. One may be hotter and one may be colder than you like. Play around 'till you find the setting you like. There's no other way around it I'm afraid :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread