What volt on what ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethal-Dose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hello, I am fairly new to vaping. Most of my juices I have a 50/50 12mg or 60/40 12mg.
And I need to know what is the best sweet spot on volt/watts. Most of my coils are 2.2 ohms, and my fav tank is the kanker protank 2.
I have a vamo v3, svd, and mvp v2.0. The one I mostly use is the mvp with the kanker tank running at 3.7~4.0 volts.

Can some one give me advice on how to set the right volt/watt to use with what ohm coil?

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
It is really a matter of experimentation. Adjusting to taste, to juice and to device. For instance, your "sweet spot" for a particulat eliquid on a 1.6 ohm coil on a RDA might be 7.8 watts, but the same eliquid on a dual coil reading 1.6 ohms might require 11watts to even get the coils to fire. Half the fun is finding your different "sweet spots."

papabogart

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2013
Satis, Faction
So 2.2ohm is best at 4.0volts or 7~8watts. Right?

My ADV is BB in a kanger PT2 with a 2.2 ohm head (also have 1.8 and 2.4). Although my sweet spot for that juice on that device is around 6.8 watts, I usually operate at 5.2watts because that gives me acceptable taste while avoiding tank leaking and it avoids getting a burnt taste sooner. YMMV

But as has been said, most people have a sweet spot in the 7-8 watt range.

Lethal-Dose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Right now I vape Peaches n Cream for bombvapers 60/40 12mg and I have it set at 4.0volt on my mvp.
On my svd I vape orange dream bar from mt baker vaper 50/50 18mg and I use a DCT tank with a 1.5 ohm carto and run that at 3.7~4.0volts.
And on my vamo I vape cherrybomb from 50/50 12mg and I use a iclear30 2.2ohm and run that at 3.7~4.2volt

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I tend to use the rule of 2. Just add 2 to the ohms of the topper you are using and start your voltage there.

As others have said, there is no right or wrong answer and even if you use the wattage mode, you will probably have to adjust it up or down depending on the juice.

Don't be worried about fiddling with it. If you want more flavor and vapor, turn it up as high as you like - if it starts to taste burnt, just turn it down a bit, you won't (usually!) break anything.

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
The rule of 2 is good with devises like a protank , since they can't wick enough to get past warp 10 without having dry hits. And a lot depends on your juice too and personal preferences. Bump it up, vape, try it higher, if better, try more, if not, lower it. That's what we all do.

I personally use the rule of 3 now, since with my current builds I enjoy my vape at ~15 watts. A 1.2 ohm build I will typically vape at 4.2-4.3 volts or 14.7-15.4 watts, basically maxing out the Provari. Sucks a battery down fast but the vape is fantastic.

It appears that you like your vape around 7 watts. Simply apply ohm's law and it's a simple matter of turning the crank to find watts. square the volts then divide by resistance and this will give you the watts being burned through your coil. Or just crank it up till it taste like crap, then dial it down till it taste umm umm good. I just crank it up till I get an E1 or E2 error on the Provari and then dial it down .1 volt, and I know that I'm between 14 and 15.4 watts.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I hope you check your ohms on the Kanger coils. Every one ive tested on my MVP v2 is .2 higher in any Kanger tank. All my 1.8s show as 2.0, 2.2s as 2.4 ect ect. Oddly the Innokin dual coils are usually spot on or .1ohm off. All my SMOK cartos are nearly as advertised too.

On my PTs i start very low on volts and/or no more than 6watts before adjusting because i seem to always get a burnt taste on a longer draw. Draw technique. "primer puffs" and thinner blends help IMO. Personally i cant get a 50/50 to wick well enough for me in either my PT-II or Mini PT-II and the flavor just is not as good to me as some cheaper tanks. Menthol in 70PG/30VG is one of the few juices i do enjoy in mine using coils that "show up" as 2.0-2.4ohm on the MVP v2. The Kanger coils rated at 2.5ohm always seem to taste "off" or burnt to me and always read at 2.7ohms.

The taste/wicking issues i have with the PTs are not nearly as bad in my T3Ss.....actually its nearly non existent but i still prefer Kanger coils rated at 2.4ohm or less.

I know you asked about Kanger PTs but i would like to add...

As far as ohms. not all coils are really the same. What i mean by that is a dual coil 1.5ohm is not the same as a single coil 1.5ohm. You are splitting the watts between two coils. I pretty much always need to increase watts on a dual coil to get a similar vape as a single coil. I need roughly 1-2watts more before the flavor and vapor production is close. IMO that is not really good or bad except for reduced battery life. Ive had fairly good luck with both but i prefer a single coil carto.

Last edited:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Reading this definitely makes me want to get a VV/VW device. Still on my eGo Twist :(

For me the biggest advantage is the ohm checker. It makes it near "set and forget" on watts. Not perfect but not bad either. Being able to check ohms easily and quickly on the mod though is a HUGE plus in my book. You can sometimes tell when a coil/s is going bad.

You can also check them before filling up a tank. Sometimes you get a total dud or other problem. It beats filling the tank and then finding out you got a dud or a mislabeled ohm coil. All the new Kanger coils are supposed to be marked with the ohms. The last two boxes of coils i got where marked on the coil. My PT-II coils that came with the PT-II were not etched but the ones in my Mini PT-II were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread