Wall Street Journal article on e-cigarettes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
U.S. News: E-Cigarettes Draw Fire From Legislators -- Limits Sought on Nicotine-Mist devices; Users Say They Eliminate Secondhand Smoke and Help Break tobacco Addiction

By Mike Esterl
The Wall Street Journal
2 March 2012

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203833004577249223276225382.html

There's no smoke, but there's plenty of fire.

A growing number of states are taking aim at electronic cigarettes in the absence of federal regulations, intensifying a public-health debate over the fast-growing alternative to traditional cigarettes.

Lawmakers in more than half a dozen states from Arizona to New York have introduced legislation this year that would prohibit the sale of e-cigarettes to minors. Bills in Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Utah would extend smoking bans in public areas to include e-cigarettes, and politicians in other states have proposed special taxes and halting Internet sales.

The activity comes as more Americans turn to the battery-powered tubes, which turn nicotine-laced liquid into a vapor mist that is inhaled. Annual sales of e-cigarettes in the U.S. have grown to between $250 million and $500 million since arriving from China five years ago, according to industry estimates. That still represents a sliver of the roughly $100 billion U.S. tobacco market.

A survey by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicated 2.7% of U.S. adults had tried e-cigarettes by 2010, up from 0.6% a year earlier.

Anti-smoking groups seeking tight regulations on e-cigarettes say not enough is known about their health effects and that scientific studies are scant. They also say e-cigarettes are more likely to attract youth because they come in flavors like chocolate, cherry and pina colada.

In 2009, the Food and Drug Administration warned that e-cigarettes may pose health risks after its laboratory analysis of samples detected carcinogens and toxic chemicals. The agency said in April it planned to regulate e-cigarettes as a tobacco product, but it has yet to issue its proposal. It could be several more months or even years before federal rules are implemented.

"It's a very serious and important issue. We obviously need to learn more about potential health benefits and risks of novel products," said Lawrence Deyton, director of the FDA's Center for Tobacco Products. He added the agency is moving "expeditiously" to propose e-cigarette regulations.

E-cigarette users -- so-called vapers -- and some health experts are urging regulators to tread lightly. They say e-cigarettes help nicotine addicts quit more harmful traditional cigarettes, which release most of the toxins that cause disease through combustion, and eliminate the problem of secondhand smoke.

"We finally found something that worked; we quit smoking, and they want to ban it," said Elaine Keller, president of the nonprofit Consumer Advocates for Smoke-Free Alternatives Association, a consumer group that has received funding from e-cigarette companies but is mainly supported by e-cigarette users.

"To put some sort of major obstacle in the way of its use would be really unfortunate," said Michael Siegel, a professor at Boston University School of Public Health.

Dr. Siegel said inhaling propylene glycol, a respiratory irritant found in e-cigarettes, represents a major health concern. But he also noted the FDA's initial 2009 test and more than a dozen industry-commissioned lab studies indicate e-cigarettes have far fewer carcinogens or toxins and at far lower levels than traditional cigarettes, which are linked to an estimated 443,000 deaths a year.

Even e-cigarette companies support some regulation of an industry that has sprouted hundreds of start-up brands but still lacks standardized oversight. Although a growing number of brands such as njoy and blu Cigs can be found at major retailers like 7-Eleven, Walgreens and Wall-Mart, many are sold exclusively over the Internet. Since they aren't taxed like traditional cigarettes, e-cigarettes can cost half as much, according to some estimates.

While they support age restrictions, the companies say their products shouldn't be cordoned off like traditional cigarettes or taxed at similar rates.

"We don't believe they are analogous in terms of their impact on society," said Craig Weiss, president of Scottsdale, Ariz.-based Sottera Inc., which owns the NJOY brand.

Lawmakers in Hawaii have moved to ban the sale of e-cigarettes to minors. But they backtracked last month on taxing the products at the same rate as traditional cigarettes after receiving more than 1,000 written submissions, many from e-cigarette users opposing the measure.

In Vermont, state Rep. Bill Frank has introduced a bill that would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to those under 18 years of age and make Internet-based sales punishable by up to five years of imprisonment. "If you're going to get kids hooked on nicotine, they're going to be smoking," Mr. Frank, a Democrat, said.

Senators in Utah are weighing a House-approved bill that would extend bans on smoking in public areas to e-cigarettes. New Jersey already has such a law in place, as do some cities, including Boston and Seattle. Many anti-smoking groups say e-cigarettes, which often look like traditional cigarettes, spark confusion in nonsmoking areas, undermining bans.

"I would rather err on the side of caution," said state Rep. Susan Westrom, a Democrat who sponsored a similar bill in Kentucky, a major tobacco producer. She thinks too little is still known about e-cigarettes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I was a bit disappointed in Mike Esterl's article after I sent him all of scientific evidence and lab tests that refuted the fearmongering claims of e-cigarette opponents and after I sent him all of the pending e-cigarette bills (cited in his article).

I spoke with him at length (as did Elaine Keller) and told him that we've defeated ALL of the proposed e-cig sales bans by FDA and in state legislatures, that we've defeated many/most proposed e-cig usage bans, and that we've been advocating banning e-cig sales to minors that e-cig prohibitionists opposed. Instead of pointing out our many victories, his article implied that e-cigarette opponents have been winning most legislative battles.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Bill, please post the first para of an article and then a link. Some people are jealous of their copyright, and rightly so.

We try to do as we would be done by here, and that means not using other people's content. It's only fair.

And when are you going to let me set up a 1-page website for you, so that people can find you on the web? Please?

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
OK Bill, my apologies. It's behind a paywall apparently. Anyway I put the link at the top of your post.

If the author sent it to you he can argue the ins and outs with you if he wants, I guess. In his position I'd provide a link, the full text, and a request not to publish the whole piece. Up to him.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Dr. Siegel supposedly stating that PG, which is a mild irritant, "represents a major health concern" does seem suspect, but CASAA has received donations from e-cigarette companies, so technically we have "received funding from e-cigarette companies." However, CASAA does not give any special considerations, perks, benefits or endorsements to any e-cigarette companies in return for those donations beyond an email saying "thank you." I'm glad the journalist added "but is mainly supported by e-cigarette users." Most of the e-cigarette companies (all of them, as far as I know) who have donated to CASAA are owned by people who are also e-cigarette users, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread