Want to see what vapers are up against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
There are several pharmaceutical companies that manufacture nicotine. I know from first-hand knowledge that at least one of those companies, who makes their own nicotine for their NRT products, is actively looking to capitalize on the e-cig market as another revenue stream (one that they feel may be larger than NRT in the near future).

I contend that NRT profits are a pittance compared to other, much higher margin, products. NRT patents expired long ago, and hence are now generic and OTC, so the margins are thin.

According to Reuters, in 2014, NRT grew 1.2% to $2.4B in sales worldwide (about $900M of that in the US). Realize that this total sales number is spread amongst many competitors, such as Pfizer, Novartis, and Actavis.

Compare that to a product like Humira, a single product sold by a single pharma company, with $11.5B in sales in 2013.

I have a hard time believing that pharma companies are spending a lot of money lobbying against e-cigs. I think their money would be better spent elsewhere, like dealing with Obamacare issues.

Reactions: CarolT

NorthOfAtlanta

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
Canton, GA
You're forgetting the other sales that are smoking related, about $150 billion from ongoing cancer, COPD, emphysema, bronchitis and the other smoking related sales. They have good reason to want people to keep smoking.

Desk Murderers all.

:2c:

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
You're forgetting the other sales that are smoking related, about $150 billion from ongoing cancer, COPD, emphysema, bronchitis and the other smoking related sales. They have good reason to want people to keep smoking.

Desk Murderers all.

:2c:
That's scientific fraud, courtesy of the ACS, AHA and ALA, based on falsely blaming smoking for diseases that are really caused by infection.

Reactions: DrMA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread