Status
Not open for further replies.

Kanj.nguyen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Princeton, NJ
Durability? Lets do this. I have 6 mechs that total under $200. Lets take a hammer to them and a Provari, smash the living hell out them, and see which side breaks first.

Accuracy? How do you know the Provari is more accurate than a Spinner? And even if thats the case, by what margin? If you did a blindfold test, can you tell the difference just by vaping both at same voltage?

Warranty? Thats a laugh. Ok, a Provari breaks and can be repaired. Guess what? Mechs dont break. Even if they do, theyre so simple that anyone can fix it with household tools.

EDIT: just saw the mods post. Im gonna stop; youre right sonic, we are probably scaring the OP away if anything.

Anyone who has a problem with anything i said, you know what to do. Im outta here.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi everyone.
Up until last week all I knew about ecigs were from the ones that I purchased from 7/11 or a gas staion. In fact I was not even familiar with the term vaping. I have been using ecigs as mentioned above for about a year.
I want to step up but am confused with all the terminology.
I am starting to work my way through the maze of new terms. Carto, atimizer, clearamizer, tank, single coi,l dual coil. It all makes my head spin.

There are so many devices and I don't know were to start.
Not knowing much I have become attracted to the Provari and from what I have been reading seems to be regarded as the best.
Would a Provari be a good choice for a person who has only used the cheap gas staion variety ecigs?
I understand that it has variable voltage and though I don't understand why one would need variable voltage I guess it must be a good thing.
I also was atracted to the ZMax in stainless steel. Also a variable mod. Though I think I like a USA made product better.
There is a big difference in price between the two. Is the Provari that much better?
Thanks

Stu

Congratulations on getting off of tobacco. Honestly, you should have just posted that you wanted a ProVari and needed a shopping list. People have posted in response to your questions - trying to help you save money. A ProVari is wonderful, but there are good devices out there that could meet your current needs since all you have to compare vaping to is a 7-11 cig-a-like.

Just get an eVic.

JetSet

Feb 11, 2013
West Covina, CA
People go through the learning curve of vaping by going through multiple mods. I bought an ego (sold it), then bought a vamo (sold it), bought an eVic (sold it), finally bought a ProVari (sold it). It all depends on how deep a person wants to get into vaping. An ego twist can give you a good vaping experience. The difference in power distribution between the vamo/ProVari have been shown throughout this forum. ProVari is the best VV mod, (quality, durability and performance wise), from my experience. ProVari gives the most consistent voltage output out of all the vv mods. People won't notice the difference though.
In a VV mod sense, the ego twist is good/decent. For a basic vaper, anything after that is just for looks.

JetSet

Feb 11, 2013
West Covina, CA
Congratulations on getting off of tobacco. Honestly, you should have just posted that you wanted a ProVari and needed a shopping list. People have posted in response to your questions - trying to help you save money. A ProVari is wonderful, but there are good devices out there that could meet your current needs since all you have to compare vaping to is a 7-11 cig-a-like.

Just get an eVic.

No to eVic lol. They break so easily :(

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
There are a couple of ways to look at that. Vaping has an unavoidable learning curve. You have to find out what works best for you. I don't regret a dime that I have spent on any of it because I don't smoke anymore.

When you read about people who consider they have "wasted" money before getting a ProVari or VAMO, they tend to be complaining about money spent on other mods, not money spent on a Twist/Spinner.

Keep in mind that when you buy a mod, you are buying the body only. You still have to buy batteries, a charger, some kind of carto/tank/whatever to put on top of it, and hopefully have some money left to try some juice flavors.

I disagree. The twist and spinner cost about the same as the complete Vamo with batteries and charger. But one thing never mentioned, is when you go to replace those twist batteries you are going to have to shell out $25+ in comparison to the $11 on the Vamo or Provari batteries. Plus the Vamo is by and far a better performing model than the twist and spinner and does not limit what you can use on it as those models do. And it goes without saying that the Provari is better although costs much more.

Last edited:

jxc0175

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
  • Deleted by sonicdsl
  • Reason: Stop it now

hmlessalky

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2012
Imperial, MO
I am not going to argue for the Provari or anything else. Just going to state my opinion on stuff and stuff alone.

I bought a Provari. A blem chrome one. It is nice. Well made, good warranty, good performer. Since I have owned it I had 2 Vmax's, which I liked a bit more, but they both died at almost a month in. I have 3 Twists (well, my wife took over 2), and they are what they are, but they are inexpensive, give me a compact VV experience, and they just work. I use the Twist more than the Provari, simply because I want a device to be able to go out with me, and if I lose it I am not out close to $200 dollars (batteries, delivery system, and device). My travel 3-some is a Twist, an old-school Buzz (traded for a VV twist-like device), and either a Silver Bullet (got on a trade trashed and rebuilt) or a Reo Grand. The Grand never falls out of my pocket and rarely goes anywhere I could leave it. The other 3....well as much as I would hate to lose or misplace any of them, they are of a paltry expense compared to the Provari.

I still recommend a cheap ole VariStack as a good first VV device. The amp limit is not crazy, but it is cheap (iVape has them on clearance for about $15 w/o batteries) and it is super-easy to use. If it breaks or gets lost you won't feel too bad (my first one is about 10mo. old and still rocks). Sure, it isn't super-accurate. Sure, it is plastic. Sure it isn't able to tell you the ohms of your delivery device. But it is decent and costs about the same price of a Twist with batteries and a charger (if you watch for a good deal).

So that is all I have to say. The Provari is an amazingly made and performing device. But the price may keep some from taking it out into the mean streets (unless you just have money to throw around). There are other VV devices that are good, some that are great. Oh, and while VW may seem wonderful, I still had to adjust it when changing juices and sometimes devices. At that point I might as well just go with a VV device and do it by taste/experience and save some bucks.

Salky

Vcoupe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2013
Gotham
Hi everyone.
Up until last week all I knew about ecigs were from the ones that I purchased from 7/11 or a gas staion. In fact I was not even familiar with the term Vaping. I have been using ecigs as mentioned above for about a year.
I am starting to work my way through the maze of new terms. Carto, atimizer, clearamizer, tank, single coi,l dual coil. It all makes my head spin.

Not knowing much I have become attracted to the Provari and from what I have been reading seems to be regarded as the best.
Would a Provari be a good choice for a person who has only used the cheap gas staion variety ecigs?
I understand that it has variable voltage and though I don't understand why one would need variable voltage I guess it must be a good thing.
I also was atracted to the ZMax in stainless steel. Also a variable mod. Though I think I like a USA made product better.
There is a big difference in price between the two. Is the Provari that much better?
Thanks

Stu

Stu, ill tell you this... Part of the fun of vaping is exploration of hardware. We all at some point have many devices that at one point had a benefit/ need. Usually, most start with a Chinese made ego and then graduate to a Provari/ Variable, or mechanical mod battery.

If you want your own journey into vaping, buy what is affordable to you but get the best your money can buy. I'd strongly advise a provari mini if you want to start off with a very solid device that will be powerful enough to handle your vaping needs as you progress. You -will- eventually get a larger device one day, and the provari is really a great choice.

Tanks can be hit or miss, but the vivi nova or kanger protank and very very easy and will be more than good for your needs today. I'd lean toward the kanger as I feel the design is superior, and real glass gives you freedom of using any juice.

As far as juices, go to mt.baker vapor and try juice that's less expensive but good quality. If you end up hating the flavor it won't break the bank.

Always buy spare atomizers, and after your initial investment, your costs will be minimal. More important is you can really quit smoking following the advice on here instantly. I was a heavy smoker and I've done it with EASE. GL bud.

Sesshomaru

Verified Member
Mar 3, 2013
Milton, FL
OK not going to get into the Provari v Vamo debate but will let you know what i started with and where i am now. I started with a basic ecig from save a smoker good price for a start set up and great flavors.. I got me to quit analogs in 1 day in fact the taste of an analog makes me sick now and i started at 14 I am 42 (next month 43 ) But after seeing the different mods out there I wanted to try something that I would not have to carry juice with me when I was out and about. So after looking at many sites and many different mods my head was spinning and I felt like I was over whelmed. I did not understand what the different types were and what to use or get. Luck would have it that my partners brother was able to help me find something that was both inexpensive and a good basic starter. I chose the Crystal Mini eGo Starter Kit with Replaceable Clearomizer ( at $24 for the complete setup it fit the bill) I still use it today as my back up run a round mod. Then I won a bolt mod with cartomizer tank at my first vape meet. Loved it but I had seen a Vamo there and knew that was what I wanted to go with. It has VW/VV so as a new to this all person I could sent it to VW and not have to do math or find a chart to help me. (It works for me might not work for all) I love my vamo. From there got my Innokin iClear 30 Dual Coil Clearomizer which I love and use more then anything else. Now I just ordered a SmokTech RSST Genesis rebuildable Atomizer. But just talk to people see what they use look at the different sites and see what is available and what is the price range you want to stay in. and Just go with what fits your needs and desires. IF you stay with the small mods or go with the big ones as long as it helps you quit analog's then its a good one. Also this site is a great place to read up on different mods and get peoples reviews about them also youtube has great reviews. So I hope that I have helped a little here and good luck with what ever you decide to go with. :) Happy Vaping.....

kastman

Verified Member
Apr 24, 2013
vegas
I am relatively new to vaping, four months with no analogs. started with ego batteries and ce4 clearomizers,and quit smoking that day. Since then I still use the egos but have tried quite a few delivery devices. Kanger t3, ce6, bully drip tip, and have landed on cartomizer tanks with the smoktech dual coil. I like how they vape right now, but the key phrase is I like how they vape. I have to agree with vcoupe that half the fun and experience is trying different things out and seeing how you like them. I did just order a new battery mod, the telescope and an IGO-l atomizer. I may eventually get a provari or equivalent but right now I am just really happy to be off cancer sticks. I am also buying equipment to suit my needs; meaning, I need something that won't leak when I am at work and in my pocket. For what it is worth...be proud to be off cigarettes and have fun with vaping.

SteamDaddy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Rebublic of Texas
too much arguing,
it's like discussing politics...

standard issue reply follows,,,

# 1
You Can't Please Everyone All The Time.
The One's That Have Been, Still Don't Even Know It Yet.

# 2
you have fooled yourself into thinking that you're content.
wait 'till next week. LoL

# 3
vapin ain't rocket science.
so don't make it over complicated.*KISS*
K.eep I.t S.imple S.tupid

# 4
best thing i can say to anyone that wants to vape.
go for the best you can afford now.
you'll spend alot of money and wind up wishing,
you had done it in the first place.

# 5
buy the best and pass up the rest.
spend once now, or twice later.
i like provari, they're made in the usa, they make me happy.
do i need one ? no. am i glad i have one ? yes. so now i have 4.
do i wish i had bought one first ? yes
but i'm not you.
i don't live in china, so i'd rather not support them.
buy what makes YOU happy, and you will be.

# 6
it really doesn't matter what you use, how much you spend.
the point is, you're not smoking.
life is short, and you can't take it with you....
play with it 'till you're bored, then get a new one.

# 7
watch youtube video reviews.
learning by eyes on is easier than reading letters.
search pbusardo & igetcha69.
best 2 reviewers.

# 8
if your Flux Capacitor is Fluxing.
at 1.21 Gigawatts, how many volts are you vaping ?

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
Hi everyone.
Up until last week all I knew about ecigs were from the ones that I purchased from 7/11 or a gas staion. In fact I was not even familiar with the term Vaping. I have been using ecigs as mentioned above for about a year.

Thanks

Stu

Well, the Provari and ZMax are really cool and people who have them, love them. I catch myself drooling over a Vamo or Groove sometimes. But they're "advanced" devices. Sure you want to leap right into the "deep end of the pool"?

You might want to start simpler while learning about this whole "vaping" thing. There's a lot. I've learned a great deal here on ECF but still feel like I've just barely got started. There are lots of people around here that talk way over my head all the time.

You can get variable voltage for a lot less money with a Twist or Spinner. Which are both eGo style batteries (eGo being a type not a brand). I see this kit recommended often: Spinner/Twist Combo. It's actually the kit I wish I'd bought first (I bought a Blu then floundered a while before finding ECF and getting oriented better).

I'm actually working my way gradually to a set up much like that though I'm doing it piece at a time instead of a whole kit (having blown money on a whole kit I ended up just giving away).

The advanced ones, like Provari and ZMax and Vamo and all, there's a definite, bigger "learning curve" to deal with. Not to mention... the price? Wow. 'Course, the folks who have them, swear by them, and say the money's well spent but... WOW. Um... my checking account cussed me out at the very idea. :)

Twists and Spinners give you variable voltage that's done by turning a little knob on the bottom of the battery. Simple stuff. Not a lot of learning for that. And being eGo style batteries, they have dual threading. That is, they work with 510 threaded devices and eGo threaded devices. That's a nice feature. Gives you a lot of options to try out. And you're going to want to do some experimenting. There's no "one size fits all" in vaping. There's a lot of personal preference and you can go a lot of different directions with it. The batteries are just the base. The, oh, delivery systems are many and varied and each has fans and detractors and there are almost as many opinions as there are vapers.

Which is rather cool really. You're not stuck with one thing. You can find the right set up for you. Though that can make it confusing at first. Cigs are easy. They all operate exactly the same. :)

Anyway.

Variable voltage is nice because liquids are different. The VV option lets you adjust the temperature of the little heater (the atomizer) and that can change the... "experience" of the vapor. Some are better at a higher temp, some at lower. And taste is subjective so one voltage doesn't fit everybody. After learning a great deal here from experienced vapers, I switched to the Twist and have been very happy with it. Some flavors that didn't seem all that good on a fixed voltage battery turned out to be pretty good on the VV Twist. One has become a favorite now. I didn't care for it at the fixed, low voltage I had before.

Far as cartos and clearos and all, the cartomizer (carto) is just an atomizer built into a tube that has a spongy filling. The filling holds the juice. They're pretty easy to use and most of the "gas station" e-cigs are cartomizer based. You can buy "blanks" and fill them yourself with liquids you buy from various vendors. It's pretty easy. Lots of YouTube videos showing how to do it (just search "filling cartomizers", you'll get tons of videos listed).

There are more advanced versions that are encased in tanks that surround them with liquid so you don't have to refill them as often. They have holes punched into the carto to let the juice in. I know nothing about them. Never used them. Others could tell you about those.

The tank like systems like at the link I posted have things like little wicks that pull the juice up to the heater (oh, here's a pic where you can see the little wick (click for a bigger version):

Vision-eGo-Blue-V3.jpg

Others have the heater at the bottom ("bottom coil"). I have a couple of inexpensive tanks on the way (in fact, should be in today's mail) to try them out. I've been using cartomizers exclusively for a while. If nothing else, they're cheap and I've been sampling lots of juices. I can set up a bunch of cartos with different juices and switch around during the day, see which I like. But as I settle on a set that I vape often, I'm leaning toward a tank system for those because I wouldn't have to refill so often.

Anyway...

A lot of this is personal preference. So one problem with jumping in at the "high end" is... what if you don't like it?

I'd be curious to do a little survey of ECFers and see how many stuck with their first kit. I don't see a lot of folks who say they hit "just right" the first time out. I'm on my third set up and I started vaping only two months ago. I mean... urk! Wish I had that money back.

I'd blow it immediately on e-liquid samples. :)

That's the thing. You will be "sampling" e-liquids a lot before you hit the ones you like and which work for you. There are just way too many options out there to hit the right combinations of flavor and nic level and base liquid mix in your first order. Be shocking if you did. Also, part of the attraction of vaping that keeps me (and I suspect others as I'm nothing special and not likely unique) away from cigs is the variety available. You're going to want to save money for exploring flavors.

(Okay, I am getting way, way too long winded in my posts today. I've either had too much coffee or not enough, one of the two.)

ilovehugehits

Moved On
Jan 28, 2013
Minnesota
I would just spend $30 for an eGo clone kit, with some clearos and juice. It's a good way to see if you like using a larger PV.
Nothland Vapor is selling a 900 mah kit. Includes 2 eGo bats, 2 clearos, 30ml bottle of any juice, charger and case, for around $30 shipped.
Found them in the suppliers forum. Today is the last day of their spring sale.

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
1. Good morning, Stu. I trust that you had a decent night stewing ( pun intended) over your decision.

2. My, my, I love the vaping passion in this thread.

3. Everyone have a STELLAR vaping day. It could be worst. You could be hacking a lung out or something else.

- Andy . . . Challenge the day.

Thanks for the info on NorthlandVapor. I bought one today.
I would just spend $30 for an eGo clone kit, with some clearos and juice. It's a good way to see if you like using a larger PV.
Nothland Vapor is selling a 900 mah kit. Includes 2 eGo bats, 2 clearos, 30ml bottle of any juice, charger and case, for around $30 shipped.
Found them in the suppliers forum. Today is the last day of their spring sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread