Status
Not open for further replies.

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I could NOT do without my passthrough. LOVE IT! I spend a truckload of time at the computer, so for me its perfect. I've had two passthroughs (over last year and a half or so), and haven't had any issues with the cap. Its just a little silver thing you stick on the end (primarily just makes it look nice) when you disconnect the passthrough from the usb cord for portability. Basically when its disconnected from the cord, you've got a regular looking ego battery once you put on the end cap. BTW, a ton of sites sell the passthrough battery for the ego. If memory serves, i got one of mine from libertyflights and one from freedomsmokesusa, but they are available all over. I dont have a car charging cord, but i have seen them sold at different places. Just make sure when you buy a car cord that its designed for charging the passthrough battery, and not for charging regular batteries. Passthrough has a port that the cord goes into. Regular battery screws into the end of a regular charger. Now hoping i didn't confuse you further! But yeah, as far as bang for your buck and battery life, I highly recommend a passthrough based on my good experience with it.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

orachel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2010
Mesa, Arizona...USA
I've never heard of damaging puter with the passthrough usb! Is this something I really need to be worried about? The convenience of the whole thing is that its plugged into my computer. Oh well, hoping someone will let me know if there's cause for concern, but I've been happily leaving the thing plugged into usb on laptop for about year and a half now. Crossing fingers!

TheChariot

Sep 29, 2010
Western NY
My first eGo device was from Volcano; their Inferno starter kit. It came with a 1000mAH battery and 650mAH passthrough battery. I like those guys because their service is pretty solid, and the warranty always comes through in the clutch (sadly, my 1000mAH battery has broken twice, but has been replaced both times).

The passthrough is awesome. I keep USB cables handy for it... 1 at my Macbook, 1 in the car w/ a USB adapter in the cigarette lighter port (because it's useless for cigarettes nowadays!), and 1 in my backpack. If you're stuck with a dead battery you can just plug it in... sometimes it won't work right away if the battery is totally dead, but after about 1-2 minutes it is functioning as a proper passthrough and is fully charged in about 90 minutes. Then you're good to go for at LEAST 6 hours.

The cap just screws on. The only complaint about the cap is that the paint on mine has chipped quite readily, so it looks like crap now. It's only use is to protect the USB port.

Get one.

Last edited:

C8se

Jul 13, 2011
Denver
No worries plugging it into your computer directly and vaping. I do it all the time, doing it right now as a matter of fact:)
To the degree their is any concern running a passthru on your computer's USB, that issue has to do with 5V passthrus that have no battery. With an eGo its just charging your battery while you vape, which is why you sometimes have to wait a couple minutes when its totally dead (to build up some charge on the battery).

Got my 650mah PT from Mike and Carol's Internet Store for 16.95. Great service, fast shipping. May get one of the cool red ones from Inferno next time and pay an extra 3 bucks for the styling, since I'd like a new end cap anyway and they are the only I've found that sell them. Hasn't been a problem yet without the end cap, which I lost pretty quickly, but I'd like to protect the USB port to be on the safe side.

Saerjin

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've been using a 650mah from gotvapes for about 3-4 months now.
The thing is super durable and the charge lasts a long time. You wouldn't believe how many times this thing has fallen 3-4 feet onto cement/pavement from it being in my lap as I get out of my car. It has so many scratches and dings on it yet it still vapes like the first day I got it.

The usb plug at the end is just now starting to have a minor issue, it can be pushed in a bit I guess and sunk in like 1mm. Hasn't caused any problems though.

As for charging... I use my computer to charge when i'm in the office, My head units usb port when in the car and my iphone wall charger usb thing when in the living room. Never had a problem and works much better than my old corded kr808 pt.

zzooti

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2011
Brunswick, Maine
An eGo type battery with the passthrough feature is the way to go, I think-best of both worlds really; I don't think any other battery type can do it. And if something should go wrong with the battery it's unlikely to feed back into the computer through the usb port-I think the circuits are protected internally; never heard of a computer being fried because of a malfunctioning connected device, especially at low voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread