Wanting to get into rebuildables

Status
Not open for further replies.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I have 0 artistic talent. 0. I cannot cut a straight line on paper with scissors, even if the line is drawn for me. So right off the bat, am I going to be able to do this? I can string a guitar, if it's anything like that, including wrapping the string around the tuner, but most definitely cannot cut a straight line. What type of artistic talent is required?

Okay, so as far as devices I own some cheap imitation mechanicals if I need them, but also own a provari, saber touch and many other mods. What kind of mod is best for rebuildables?

Where do I go to buy stuff and what do I need? I don't have the time to do that much research unfortunately. We had a baby recently and it's taking 100% of my time. I -have- to quit smoking again. While in the hospital because our baby was premature I started smoking again and I -have- to quit for the baby. I can't keep going outside all the time. So, I'd love some help. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking you guys to do all the work for me and realistically it's because I am. I'm just so busy with the baby and so swamped. =(

So, what seems to be a general consensus on what's good? I can tinker with stuff later after the baby grows a bit. For now I just want something that FUNCTIONS and produces a fair bit of vapor and flavor.

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
Well,

First off -- There is definitely some research that needs to be done... Rebuilding can be very dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. You need to have a general understanding of ohms law and battery safety so you don't blow your hand and/or face off. That will not be good for you or your child..

Second - If you don't have time to go outside to have a cigarette, your probably not going to have the time to tinker with rebuildables.. Just saying...

Third - The device you need completely depends on what you want. Do you want to do big lung hits and blow giant clouds, or do you want a nice restrictive tank system that allows you to do mouth to lung hits for a satisfying vape?

Coil building requires 0 artistic talent, because I have none and have been rebuilding successfully for months and months.

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I already have general understanding of that stuff. I've been vaping for years now and because of that have acquired a lot of this information, it's really just the basics and logistics and even brands that I need to know, really.

I have plenty of time to go smoke. It's a matter of I don't WANT to be going outside to smoke and I want to be able to vape while indoors watching something with her or making breakfast or even cleaning. I'm a stay at home dad now and going outside to smoke every time I have a craving isn't cutting it for me. Time is definitely an issue but I'll have time to do my rebuildables, for sure.

I want large clouds for sure. That's a big thing with me quitting smoking. The more vapor production the better. I don't care too much about big lung hits as half the time I don't even inhale when I am vaping. It's all the oral fixation for me.

ThieuLam

Jun 18, 2013
California
I have been doing my own builds and home made juices for about a year and a half . I think I learned everything from youtube .
Lots if trial and practice . Making coils is easy once you have done it a dozen times . The key is to be safe . Good Batteries , Ohm reader , check for hot spots and shorts . I tried multiple gauge kanthal wires , cotton , silica , you name it .
I found my love at this moment . 24 gauge Kanthal dual coil on my Plume Veil with Organic Cotton on my Grand Vapor Mod
Good luck

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
Would you want a tank system, or would you prefer to have a dripper?

Drippers are definitely going to be the way to go if the amount of vapor is the main concern. Most drippers have lots of airflow creating good vapor production, but you have to drip juice often, which for me can be very annoying.

There is also an abundance of rebuild-able tank systems out there as well. Personally my two favorites right now are the kayfun and fogger v4. The fogger v4 has better airflow, and is setup for dual coils which equates to more vapor production. The kayfun is probably the most popular RTA because the thing just works and works well, mine goes everywhere with me.

Millah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
FL
Honestly, I feel that if you cannot or refuse to educate yourself and do the hard work yourself, then you really don't need to be rebuilding. Seriously, if you're goal is just to -quit- smoking, why do you need to rebuild? Whats wrong with an Aspire Nautilus or a Kanger Aerotank? Learning to rebuild and actually UNDERSTANDING what you're doing and why you're doing it takes time and a little bit of effort. It can be dangerous, especially if you plan on using any of your mechanicals with one. And there's simply no need to jump right in and ask others to do all the thinking for you, when a perfectly satisfying vape can be had from a modern clearomizer like the Nautilus or Kanger.

Sorry, I'm just of the opinion that there's no shortcuts or easy ways to thoroughly understanding something, especially when that something kind of requires your understanding to be done safely and effectively. And especially because the whole process of rebuilding is a process of experimentation and finding what suits your particular tastes. There's no one right answer or method for doing things. You need to understand what's actually going on, and then experiment using that knowledge to find the method that suits your taste. Sorry if I sound like I take things too seriously, but I literally just can't see the reason if you're only motivation is to stop smoking. You can accomplish that goal just as effectively using a Nautilus with BVC coil. Hell, I even use my Nautilus and Aerotanks all the time despite all my rebuildables. Because they work incredibly well without any fuss.

Last edited:

DietSalem

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2011
Indiana
I have been doing my own builds and home made juices for about a year and a half . I think I learned everything from youtube .
Lots if trial and practice . Making coils is easy once you have done it a dozen times . The key is to be safe . Good Batteries , Ohm reader , check for hot spots and shorts . I tried multiple gauge kanthal wires , cotton , silica , you name it .
I found my love at this moment . 24 gauge Kanthal dual coil on my Plume Veil with Organic Cotton on my Grand Vapor Mod
Good luck

Do you have any suggested suppliers and websites?

Would you want a tank system, or would you prefer to have a dripper?

Drippers are definitely going to be the way to go if the amount of vapor is the main concern. Most drippers have lots of airflow creating good vapor production, but you have to drip juice often, which for me can be very annoying.

There is also an abundance of rebuild-able tank systems out there as well. Personally my two favorites right now are the kayfun and fogger v4. The fogger v4 has better airflow, and is setup for dual coils which equates to more vapor production. The kayfun is probably the most popular RTA because the thing just works and works well, mine goes everywhere with me.

I am mostly interested in dripping. I am a dripper right now and pretty much always have been. The flavor just tends to be better. So, dripping is my interest.

Honestly, I feel that if you cannot or refuse to educate yourself and do the hard work yourself, then you really don't need to be rebuilding. Seriously, if you're goal is just to -quit- smoking, why do you need to rebuild? Whats wrong with an Aspire Nautilus or a Kanger Aerotank? Learning to rebuild and actually UNDERSTANDING what you're doing and why you're doing it takes time and a little bit of effort. It can be dangerous, especially if you plan on using any of your mechanicals with one. And there's simply no need to jump right in and ask others to do all the thinking for you, when a perfectly satisfying vape can be had from a modern clearomizer like the Nautilus or Kanger.

Sorry, I'm just of the opinion that there's no shortcuts or easy ways to thoroughly understanding something, especially when that something kind of requires your understanding to be done safely and effectively. And especially because the whole process of rebuilding is a process of experimentation and finding what suits your particular tastes. There's no one right answer or method for doing things. You need to understand what's actually going on, and then experiment using that knowledge to find the method that suits your taste. Sorry if I sound like I take things too seriously, but I literally just can't see the reason if you're only motivation is to stop smoking. You can accomplish that goal just as effectively using a Nautilus with BVC coil. Hell, I even use my Nautilus and Aerotanks all the time despite all my rebuildables. Because they work incredibly well without any fuss.

Sorry but this wasn't that useful of a comment. I am not an idiot. I am going to be safe. I get the humbub of all the safety talk on ECF and why it's needed but I've been vaping for four years and I've seen all the news articles. I know to be safe. I have worked with electricity in the past and also have friends who do RBAs who can help me once I determine what to buy. There is zero issue with safety here. It'll all be done properly. Thanks.
I am asking for shortcuts, shortcuts that can be given to me because they exist, because I have a child and not enough time to watch thousands of youtube videos. Instead, I'm asking for what some of you learned in your thousands of youtube videos. I can then, from there, figure out what works for me. for now, I want a system I know works - for my tastes or not. Thanks.

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
+1 on the kayfun, get yourself an ehpro clone to try your hand at it rather than an authentic. Also I would grab a good dripper too, the Trident is one of my favorites, the stillare and tobh are great too. Drippers are really easy to build on but you need to have a dedicated ohm reader because you'll likely be subohming on your mechanicals and it pays to know where your sitting at ohms wise

dchemist

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2014
Benton, Arkansas
I have 0 artistic talent. 0. I cannot cut a straight line on paper with scissors, even if the line is drawn for me. So right off the bat, am I going to be able to do this? I can string a guitar, if it's anything like that, including wrapping the string around the tuner, but most definitely cannot cut a straight line. What type of artistic talent is required?

Okay, so as far as devices I own some cheap imitation mechanicals if I need them, but also own a provari, saber touch and many other mods. What kind of mod is best for rebuildables?

Where do I go to buy stuff and what do I need? I don't have the time to do that much research unfortunately. We had a baby recently and it's taking 100% of my time. I -have- to quit smoking again. While in the hospital because our baby was premature I started smoking again and I -have- to quit for the baby. I can't keep going outside all the time. So, I'd love some help. I'm sorry if it seems like I'm asking you guys to do all the work for me and realistically it's because I am. I'm just so busy with the baby and so swamped. =(

So, what seems to be a general consensus on what's good? I can tinker with stuff later after the baby grows a bit. For now I just want something that FUNCTIONS and produces a fair bit of vapor and flavor.

I'm a father of four and completely understand the time constraints. As for rebuildin there is a fair learning curve but once proficient the time demand isn't bad.

Rebuilding is a bit of a stepwise process. First and foremost is battery safety. Since you own some necks mechs and a primary Provari I assume you're somewhat educated about this already. I would definitely look up Baditude's blog about batteries and refresh your memory. While you're at it, pick up a digital multi meter somewhere.

Second is deciding what you're going to build on. I started with a Kayfun Lite+ clone from Ehpro and couldn't be happier. If you are pushed for time, re-wicking once per day and two fill ups carries me 24h. Drippers are a little more hassel especially if you have multiple coil set ups. Search for Kayfun in ECF and there is anything you may want to know.

When it comes time to pair your RBA with a power source, you're set. I would start off using your Provari then you'll have an extra layer of safety. Regardless of the atty you choose, a single coil 1.0-2.0 ohm build is a great place to start. This should yield good flavor with sufficient vapor to entertain you for a bit.

All said an done, a Kayfun on your Provari with a 1.5 ohm coil set to 11 watts should be awesome. You can always venture out from there.

There is nothing wrong with putting an RBA on a mech as long as your safe. Unfortunately, the mess and fuss goes up quite a bit: what is the voltage of my fresh battery? (check with DMM) What is the current resistance of my coil? (check with DMM) How many watts will I be Vaping at this set up? (Check with steam engine calculator/vapor's toolbox calculator/work out by hand) How many amps will that pull from my battery? (same as previous) Is my battery's continuous discharge rated for that (check manufacturer's speck) How long can I vape before changing my battery (check manufacturer's min voltage rating then pull battery to check with DMM). Checking continuity every time you re-wick/dry burn (DMM).

I know I'm being a bit pedantic but that is where the Provari really does a lot of the work for you.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
You can get a perfectly satisfying dripping experience on your provari, that will cut out most of the very necessary safety learning.

I suggest getting a simple dripper, like an igo-l or igo-w, some 30g kanthal(I wouldn't go thicker if you're using on a regulated device), and some cotton.

Wrap a single micro coil, 10-12 wraps on a 1/16" drill bit, should get you about 1.5-1.9ohms.

Most shops, online or b&m should have a simple dripper. They may also sell kanthal, or order that from temco. Start out with plain old cotton balls. That should get you started and when you have the time or interest you can explore more.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
+1 on the kayfun, get yourself an ehpro clone to try your hand at it rather than an authentic. Also I would grab a good dripper too, the Trident is one of my favorites, the stillare and tobh are great too. Drippers are really easy to build on but you need to have a dedicated ohm reader because you'll likely be subohming on your mechanicals and it pays to know where your sitting at ohms wise

Quoted because I have an EhPro Kayfun Lite Plus v1, as well as a trident, and they both work great on my VTR that only puts out 15 watts.

Building is not hard, but wicking has been subtle, for me. I cannot recommend the EhPro KFL+ enough. I've watched exactly one tutorial, and got it running with essentially zero problems, first rebuildable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PT2bkmsNVmI

I've learned the hard way to rewick everytime I empty the tank. I'm sure the pros might not need to, but with regular organic cotton balls, it just needs to be done to prevent almost-dry hits, for me. Half an hour to completely rebuild, 10 minutes to rewick (yeah, probably slow here, but I'm still learning).

28 guage wire, 1.3 to 1.5 ohms, around a 2mm bit.

The trident is also great, but small, at most 20mm. I'm sure I'm not getting the most out of it, but it's been pretty forgiving, vapor wise. Securing the leads for a dual coil still takes patience, but it's not that bad. I wish I could recommend any other drippers, but it's all I've used.

TL;DR: at least get a decent Kayfun clone, some wire, and something to measure resistance, and you'll be glad you did. I'm sure you can get a dripper working even more easily; I've managed to.

DaPopeLP

Sep 3, 2014
United States
I agree with everything posted. An igo w is a good dripper to start on but be aware, you will want to drill out the airholes to 2mm. Standard is 1mm and it is tight. 28 ga is a good wire to start with, unless using a regulated device in which case 30 or 32.

Until you want to do very difficult builds, you dont need any artistic talent. Take your time and practice. High gauge wire is cheap, dont be afraid to screw up and rebuild.

And dont forget a good meter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread