Warming up the vg to mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If it wasn't necessary then the issue wouldn't exist but actually everything we know that tastes wonderful has to go through a process to get there :D

And don't get me started on the instant gratification society...drives me stark staring bonkers...they all need a slap :evil:

There is a society? Sign me up!! LOL

Fully agree that there is a process with pretty much everything we consume. But the time invested in many of those processes is far less in comparison. Not complaining with what is needed with DIY’ing your own juice – I have a choice whether to DIY or take a far easier road of purchasing pre-made juice. I choose DIY for I feel the pro’s outweigh the cons. However, if there was a way to alleviate the needed efforts and time that is required with DIY, would you not appreciate that? Assuming of course that new process was within an acceptable level (as in not purchasing the ACME Automatic DIY Mixing machine for $1k)

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
There is a society? Sign me up!! LOL

Fully agree that there is a process with pretty much everything we consume. But the time invested in many of those processes is far less in comparison. Not complaining with what is needed with DIY’ing your own juice – I have a choice whether to DIY or take a far easier road of purchasing pre-made juice. I choose DIY for I feel the pro’s outweigh the cons. However, if there was a way to alleviate the needed efforts and time that is required with DIY, would you not appreciate that? Assuming of course that new process was within an acceptable level (as in not purchasing the ACME Automatic DIY Mixing machine for $1k)

Just no.... it's illogical just for the sake of a one time mix of an extra bottle so that you get an advance on the next..... OK I'm prepared to accept that every once in a while there may be an emergency... But the same applies mix 2 and all sorted.

You don't even have to mix 2 just mix double the quantity and separate off what you need immediately.

:D

Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Just no.... it's illogical just for the sake of a one time mix of an extra bottle so that you get an advance on the next..... OK I'm prepared to accept that every once in a while there may be an emergency... But the same applies mix 2 and all sorted.

You don't even have to mix 2 just mix double the quantity and separate off what you need immediately.

:D

I’m not talking about making a surplus, I am talking about alleviating the whole process that is involved. If soaking in a hot water bath for say 20 min reduced steep time by a significant amount without any kind of degradation, would that not be a process you may adopt? I know I certainly would, regardless of how much I plan to make be it for surplus or immediate use.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I’m not talking about making a surplus, I am talking about alleviating the whole process that is involved. If soaking in a hot water bath for say 20 min reduced steep time by a significant amount without any kind of degradation, would that not be a process you may adopt? I know I certainly would, regardless of how much I plan to make be it for surplus or immediate use.

OK I'll say it again no.... There's literally a gain of one bottle.

Of course I already completely agree that heat degrades volatile compounds also so would caution against heat too.

Waiting is really not an issue at all.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
My Automatic DIY Mixing Machine didn't come from ACME... a gent in Latvia made it for me. ;)

stirplate160812.jpg

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
Cobblers...steeping happens when you're not there :) If you mix at all you can mix in advance...there's no difference :rolleyes:

I was trying to think of people who would not have time to steep. Blame bomba for bringing it up, that's what I do. A couple of other professions that might have issues with steeping would be sex workers and crab boat fishermen. If a crab boat fisherman marries a prostitute they're screwed.

Things that make you go, hmmmmm.

Reactions: stols001

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
OK I'll say it again no.... There's literally a gain of one bottle.

Of course I already completely agree that heat degrades volatile compounds also so would caution against heat too.

Waiting is really not an issue at all.

Fair answer. But to note, I used a hot water bath as an example of a possible process and not exclusive to.

So I’ll pose the question to everyone else. If there was an effective way in terms of both cost and efforts, to significantly reduce steep time, would that process be of interest?

Skeebo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 31, 2014
So I’ll pose the question to everyone else. If there was an effective way in terms of both cost and efforts, to significantly reduce steep time, would that process be of interest?

Yes, mainly because it would erase two weeks of self doubt that I once again screwed something up.

I will say this though, seriously-- it makes me wonder about all those bottles of juice I have purchased through the years that were reverse steepers. I've often wondered if those makers used the heating method to steep their product faster for sale.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Fair answer. But to note, I used a hot water bath as an example of a possible process and not exclusive to.

I tried different methods going down my progressive path in nicotine free DIY (6+ years)... including some that were a waste of time, shake/breathe/wait, a commercial UC (without heat) that cut the wait way down to size and settled on a magnetic stir plate (also with no heat) that cuts the wait even more. I also altered my approximately 160 recipes for the stir plate, started making my own one-shots, etc that also help make many of my recipes near to stir and vape. So now days making DIY by weight (instead of the other ancient methods) and mixing on the plate is a breeze. Can do a new batch in just a few minutes with all but no clean up. And when they come off the plate they are ready to vape.

For those using blenders, keep in mind that incorporating air into the mix will start degrading your DIY from the get go (both nic and flavor). There has been endless communication about all aspects of DIY on ECF... some good info for the time, but also some ACEBS. Use the search engine.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I tried different methods going down my progressive path in nicotine free DIY (6+ years)... including some that were a waste of time, shake/breathe/wait, a commercial UC (without heat) that cut the wait way down to size and settled on a magnetic stir plate (also with no heat) that cuts the wait even more. I also altered my approximately 160 recipes for the stir plate, started making my own one-shots, etc that also help make many of my recipes near to stir and vape. So now days making DIY by weight (instead of the other ancient methods) and mixing on the plate is a breeze. Can do a new batch in just a few minutes with all but no clean up. And when they come off the plate they are ready to vape.

For those using blenders, keep in mind that incorporating air into the mix will start degrading your DIY from the get go (both nic and flavor). There has been endless communication about all aspects of DIY on ECF... some good info for the time, but also some ACEBS. Use the search engine.

So spydro are you saying here that mixes with known long term steepers are ready to vape after effectively a good stir? Like custards and some creams etc which can steep for months and still be developing.

Of course this is always difficult to discuss because all mixes are ok off the shake its just that they change, often for the better after a steep.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
So spydro are you saying here that mixes with known long term steepers are ready to vape after effectively a good stir? Like custards and some creams etc which can steep for months and still be developing.

Of course this is always difficult to discuss because all mixes are ok off the shake its just that they change, often for the better after a steep.

I don't do custards, etc that typically need a long steep. Most of my DIY is drink (non alcoholic/alcoholic) and specific savory. So few of the ingredients I use need a long steep. Note as I said above that I also make my own 'one-shots' and store them for future use (and sometimes extract my own flavors as well). So in effect the one-shots are steeping together until I mix them with my nic free base (and with any accent flavor that doesn't hold its flavor well if any of them are part of the recipe).

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
I don't do custards, etc that typically need a long steep. Most of my DIY is drink (non alcoholic/alcoholic) and specific savory. So few of the ingredients I use need a long steep. Note as I said above that I also make my own 'one-shots' and store them for future use (and sometimes extract my own flavors as well). So in effect the one-shots are steeping together until I mix them with my nic free base (and with any accent flavor that doesn't hold its flavor well if any of them are part of the recipe).

Aaah ok I thought that you may favour fruits etc...and yes completely agree that steeped one shots are another way of feeding the impatient diy er :) Good point.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks all for your replies, from what I learned by posts here and in elr is that the mixing is a key component in the steeping process, some don't use blenders because of the air injected but if the nic is added at the end I don't see a problem, another key is that the elements of the recipe blend in to each other as fully as possible and that happens with time steeping, some said that warming the vg and adding it to a one shot is great for speed steeping but that that causes degration quickly as mentioned previously in this post, some had good outcomes actually with a sous vide, and some say ultrasonic no more than 3 hours with degassing of a few minutes (taking the cap off). I'm just trying to see the best way to catalyze the steeping process best I can with as little harm to the recipe as possible, but I think so far sous vide and ultrasonic after a good mix adding nic at the end are the best options.
Homoginizers aren't really affective by what I read.
This article I found to be true and says it all for me regarding steeping/aging:
DIY Mythbusting : DIY_eJuice

Last edited:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Aaah ok I thought that you may favour fruits etc...and yes completely agree that steeped one shots are another way of feeding the impatient diy er :) Good point.

Interesting that you brought up fruits. When I heard about this thing called vaping (a while after I had already quit smoking cold turkey - was easy) I did some serious research/homework to know all I could find about it... then ordered my first vape gear AND the lab gear/flavors for DIY within the same couple of days. With no prior experience I chose flavors that I liked to eat... around 75 of them. A large number of them were fruit flavors because any fruit could be in my diet. I found out real fast that I don't like to vape fruits of any kind at all, and soon after desert, bakery. sweet etc vapes also were/are not my thing. I learned how to DIY myself by T&E... didn't use the recipes of others. I did try some of the techniques of others, but found what at the time was a better way for my uses. Making one-shots ahead has been just one of the many game changers in how I do my DIY.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

Thanks for the response. So in a nut shell, you have adopted a process to reduce steep time.

I don’t produce in large batches. One of the (many) reasons for me moving over to DIY was to control my juice inventory. I tend to get bored of flavours rather quickly, so even flavours that I truly enjoy I usually only vape ~ 200ml max of it then rarely touch the stuff again. I have looked into magnetic stirrers but don’t see how I can put them to use if I am only mixing 60ml per recipe. Looked into a nail polish shaker (as scaled down version of a paint shaker), which would be perfect for 30 to 60ml bottles but have yet to commit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread