Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Thanks for the response. So in a nut shell, you have adopted a process to reduce steep time.

I don’t produce in large batches. One of the (many) reasons for me moving over to DIY was to control my juice inventory. I tend to get bored of flavours rather quickly, so even flavours that I truly enjoy I usually only vape ~ 200ml max of it then rarely touch the stuff again. I have looked into magnetic stirrers but don’t see how I can put them to use if I am only mixing 60ml per recipe. Looked into a nail polish shaker (as scaled down version of a paint shaker), which would be perfect for 30 to 60ml bottles but have yet to commit.

If you go by when I mix a 120ml batch to actually vape, for many of my recipes I have pretty much eliminated the steep time with my premade one-shots I keep in cold storage.

In the old days before I had so many recipes I made up to 1 liter batches of those I vaped day and night after day and night. That went down to 500ml, then eventually 250ml. Now days with the ease of quickly mixing by weight and using the plate it takes very little time and effort I only mix 120ml, and have anywhere from 2-3 dozen different recipes on hand all the time to vape any of them I want to on a whim (I also dedicate gear to joose, so have that many mod combos to use on a whim as well). If any of them stay in my current preference past the 120ml I just make another 120ml batch of it. When I do empty a 120ml and don't repeat the recipe it held I put a totally different recipe in it. Even so it would take a long time to rotate thru all my recipes. A note on batch size... FWIW I make as little as 50-60ml on the plate sometimes, and it doesn't take very much time at all to be vaping it. I make the smaller batches because some of my recipes are seasonal... I only vape them at a specific time and keep making the small batches of them for as long I want to continue to vape them. One that comes to mind is a Spiced Velvet Squash that I only vape around Turkey Day. I make it from my premade self extracted one-shot, no pie crust, etc, just the taste of a pie filling like mother made spiced to taste. I don't celebrate holidays anymore, but it reminds me of the feasts as a kid many decades ago with family who have all passed on. This one is a pretty intense vape, so when I have had enough of it I have had enough until next year. ;)

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Can someone explain to me please what exactly is an emersion blender is that like an overhead stirrer?
71FnWioWbuL._SL1500_.jpg

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Can someone explain to me please what exactly is an emersion blender is that like an overhead stirrer?
I tend to mix smaller batches. 60mL for a few of my favorites. More only 30mL. And new/tester batches anywhere from 5-15mL. So, a traditional kitchen immersion blend is just too big... and does introduce a lot of air.

Small coffee frothers are better for this volume of mixing; but still introduce lots of air.

Someone finally told me about a small immersion mixer that was made specifically for oil-based modeling paints (such as the Tester brand, that came in the little square bottles). Anyone who works with oil paints, knows that air is not the painter's friend, in that it can ruin the finish (with pits and bubbles).

This is the mixer that I currently use: Badger 121 Paint Mixer.
upload_2019-5-22_18-2-20.png

It is very similar to a milk/coffee frother, aside from two differences I can detect: it has a flatter, less aggressive beater/blade; and it seems to rotate at a lower RPM. If the blade is placed into the liquid before turning it on, and is subsequently kept below the surface of the liquid; there is indeed, very little air introduced (in my experience). A 10-30 second stir (depending on volume) and the recipe is thoroughly mixed.

Its only shortcoming, that I have noticed; is, it is only effective for batch sizes of up to 100mL (give or take). Larger volumes don't appear to mix completely without additional manual stirring of the mixer.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I tend to mix smaller batches. 60mL for a few of my favorites. More only 30mL. And new/tester batches anywhere from 5-15mL. So, a traditional kitchen immersion blend is just too big... and does introduce a lot of air.

Small coffee frothers are better for this volume of mixing; but still introduce lots of air.

Someone finally told me about a small immersion mixer that was made specifically for oil-based modeling paints (such as the Tester brand, that came in the little square bottles). Anyone who works with oil paints, knows that air is not the painter's friend, in that it can ruin the finish (with pits and bubbles).

This is the mixer that I currently use: Badger 121 Paint Mixer.
View attachment 816735
It is very similar to a milk/coffee frother, aside from two differences I can detect: it has a flatter, less aggressive beater/blade; and it seems to rotate at a lower RPM. If the blade is placed into the liquid before turning it on, and is subsequently kept below the surface of the liquid; there is indeed, very little air introduced (in my experience). A 10-30 second stir (depending on volume) and the recipe is thoroughly mixed.

Its only shortcoming, that I have noticed; is, it is only effective for batch sizes of up to 100mL (give or take). Larger volumes don't appear to mix completely without additional manual stirring of the mixer.

That is the exact same model I use and your experience with it mirrors mine.

They are real nice mixers.

I've had a a few that over time died on me, no biggie. Ever since the first one died I bought a bunch of them - didn't want to be caught out again.

I usually don't mix in big batch containers. If it's a recipe I know I won't be tweaking then I do 60ml bottles. For recipes I know that I'm going to tweak/test over time it's 30ml bottles (like 4-6). Works nice in 15ml bottles for 10ml (or less) SFT.

I tried a nail polish/hobby paint shaker once and for me that was like watching grass grow. The Badger 121 is perfect for DIY unless someone is doing real big batches.

Recently I've been looking for something similar to the Benchmark Scientific Vornado Vortexer but it needs to have an attachment for multiple bottles. I'm not looking to spend big bucks but something that could do multiple bottles interests me.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
So the nail polish shaker didn’t work out?

That Badger mixer got me thinking if a bit/attachment can’t be found or made for a cordless screwdriver or a rotary tool like the Dremel

No the nail polish shaker was a no go for me. IDK, maybe it could work just not me.

If you can keep the RPM rate low with a Dremel or cordless driver that might work with a flatter blade like with the Badger. I tried it once a some time ago with a cordless driver and --- grrrr --- no go for me. I'm not the best with holding a steady slower RPM with tools like that.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
No the nail polish shaker was a no go for me. IDK, maybe it could work just not me.

If you can keep the RPM rate low with a Dremel or cordless driver that might work with a flatter blade like with the Badger. I tried it once a some time ago with a cordless driver and --- grrrr --- no go for me. I'm not the best with holding a steady slower RPM with tools like that.

Good to know about the nail polish shaker. It seemed like a good idea.

The Dremel might be too fast, will have to look up the model I own. But a cordless screwdriver should work – they are more torque than speed. Shipping to Canada for one of those Badger mixers is more than the unit itself, and buying one locally is 4x the price! Ouch!

• Optimistic
Reactions: IDJoel

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest

The Dremel might be too fast, will have to look up the model I own. But a cordless screwdriver should work – they are more torque than speed. Shipping to Canada for one of those Badger mixers is more than the unit itself, and buying one locally is 4x the price! Ouch!
Sorry about the prices for you. I just looked up the cost to ship from here to Toronto and yikes!!! I was thinking if I got you one and shipped it to you but at those shipping prices they're nuts. That really sucks.
Cordless screwdriver may be your best route.

• Agree
Reactions: Spydro

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Sorry about the prices for you. I just looked up the cost to ship from here to Toronto and yikes!!! I was thinking if I got you one and shipped it to you but at those shipping prices they're nuts. That really sucks.
Cordless screwdriver may be your best route.

Thanks. Ya, shipping from the States to Canada can be a bit costly. Although expensive and not worth it, I have been quoted much worse than the Badger mixer. $50 US to ship a $10 squonk bottle! That’s more than what I paid in CAN for the squonk mod!

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
I have 3 mini froth mixers that I use sparingly sometimes (Norpro 5pc Deluxe Cordless Mini Mixer... around $10 US now days, Ebay, Amazon, etc.). They use two AA batts, come with 4 wands. I prefer the straight wand that is split down the middle from the end. It will go into the smallest bottle neck and in use it spreads based on how fast you are running it. Like all mixers it will incorporate air into the liquid if you over do it though, and that speeds up oxidation of the liquid. So I just pulse mix in short bursts.

Norpro 5pc Deluxe Cordless Mini Mixer.jpg

Norpro Deluxe Cordless Mini Mixer .jpg

Last edited:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID

I have not personally used one of the nail polish shakers. But, I suspect, that headspace plays an important roll in efficiency. Too little airspace, and it won't mix as well. Also, gently warming a high VG mix (solely to reduce viscosity), could also help. The reason the shakers never held my attention was all the grumping about securing bottles... strap failure, not staying put, bottles not fitting. It just didn't capture my imagination.:)

As for the paint mixer... there are other brands out there, that are similar to Badger. I found this one on Canada's Amazon. Since you live in/around(?) a larger metropolitan area; I would also check local B&M craft and hobby shops. Especially those that cater to model builders, diorama creators, and RPG gamers (if that is still a thing). Anyone using the old-school model types of paints.

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I do a hot water heat steeping, I find it mixes up better when the VG/PG is heated. I simply heat water in a cup in the micro wave & put my juice bottles in the hot water. I let them get warm in the water & shake them really well. I wouldn't put juice directly in the micro wave, & wouldn't heat the juice up too hot.
I do this in winter when temps are too cold for pg/vg to mix. Although I have bionic arm hubby that shakes things until they're almost white...

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Hey all great post.
Say what's wrong with getting air in the batch?
Air is actually very good for blending the flavors. Note I do Not mix my batches (500ml / 500 single shots) with nicotine.. Nicotine is added at point of use bottle.100-120ml. (To avoid messing up the nicotine) When I was starting out I used the frothers.. But as time went on I like fewer dif recipes so I make much bigger batches. Keep in mind I'm a heavy vapor 30-50 MLS day is normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread