Warming VG Nicotine Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMP

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SLC Utah
I have been warming my VG nicotine solution to make it less viscous so I could draw it up into my pipet. I noticed that it turned from clear to clear yellow after I warmed it and was wondering if anybody could tell me why this happens and whether or not it is doing anything bad to the nicotine? To warm it I pored boiling water into a large coffee cup and put the bottle of VG nicotine solution in it for a couple of minutes, am I heating it up too much?

MaxUT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2009
Ogden, UT, US
Shaking mixed air bubbles into the VG, so, yes, that helped to oxidize it more quickly. Better to just give it enough time to become warm all the way through.

I place my bottle in a pan with hot water for a few minutes, then change the water to scalding hot and let it set for maybe another 5 minutes, then measure out the VG. I only do this when I'm preparing a large bottle of pre-thinned VG, mixing 4 parts VG with 1 part distilled water. I calculate the new nicotine strength and place a label on the premix bottle.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
There is always a little O2 in VG, no matter what you do. Even if you don't shake it up, and introduce more O2, heating it will increase the reaction kinetics of nic + O2, simply because everything is moving around more. Nic oxides are harmless, in general, or no more harmful than nic, and it takes almost zero amounts of oxides to yellow a juice. Yellowing is gonna happen, almost inevitably. Sometimes the color is more pink/rose.

For the viscosity issue, even 5% water helps a ton, and opens the juice up in terms of nic hit and flavor. My juices are all VG based, and I like about 10% water...but sometimes an unthinned VG juice is really great for direct dripping. For cartos, you generally need to thin them a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread