Was Tobacco Control ever really about tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I think I read once that the first pre-rolled cigarettes were developed during WWI and given out free to the soldiers in the trenches, because it was too hard to keep a pipe functioning in a wet muddy trench. I'm not sure when the current anti tobacco regs started happening. Was it after the health concerns became known? I'm sure they were taxed long before that but I don't know that its use was discouraged.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Well, of course in a thread like this I can't pass up the opportunity to post this again...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It chronicles the recent history of tobacco control efforts, and their plan on how to reach their end game.
Those plans have been in place for over three decades now, and they have been working.

Alto101

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2012
North Carolina
I guess the anti tobacco lobby, whether real, or imagined, isn't doing a very good job, if they have been around for centuries, yet cigarettes are still legal to buy and use...

I disagree with your conclusion. While tobacco products are still legal, their use in public has been severely curtailed, sin taxes are extremely high, users pay for higher health insurance and life insurance and users are now social pariahs. These all partly the result of the anti-tobacco lobby that is coming for the vaping industry.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
I disagree with your conclusion. While tobacco products are still legal, their use in public has been severely curtailed, sin taxes are extremely high, users pay for higher health insurance and life insurance and users are now social pariahs. These all partly the result of the anti-tobacco lobby that is coming for the vaping industry.

Perhaps it is just that far less people smoke now than decades ago. Tobacco is just an easy target for the Deciders to tax. The majority now doesn't want the smell or mess. Insurance is all about risk. Smokers cost insurance companies more than non smokers.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
You left out the whole "denying employment to nicotine users" thing.
But yeah, what you said.

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
I guess the anti tobacco lobby, whether real, or imagined, isn't doing a very good job, if they have been around for centuries, yet cigarettes are still legal to buy and use...

They don't WANT to do a very good job. They just say they want to do a good job.

Because once they really succeed, they'll be obsolete...

Out of funds, out of 'cause' out of a raison d'etre...

Isn't gonna happen.

bosun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2013
in between the ice ages
If you can control it, you can tax it.
If people don't like something, and you can beat your anti-tobacco drum loudly enough, those people will give you money to continue.
If you are doing something and enjoying it, then people who don't like it (whatever 'it' maybe) will want to control/curtail it.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
They don't WANT to do a very good job. They just say they want to do a good job.

Isn't gonna happen.
If they wanted to do a good job, they would embrace Tobacco Harm Control instead of trying to destroy it.
There are many other factors at work here, and they all add up to money.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com

The ones that got me were these and all their ilk:

VAslimsAds.jpg

I even got a keychain from them, probably 30 yrs ago, which I still have, and still have on my keyring: "You've come a long way, baby." And yes, I really have -- all the way from cigarettes!!!! :D

Andria

PS: and I just noticed something... if women have come such a long way, why are all the women in these ads WEARING DRESSES??? :facepalm:

Last edited:

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa

Isn't gonna happen.

Certainly! The unemployment line is not a good place for someone who specializes in an area which may no longer be pertinent.
But why would a government (or wanna-be governing body) show the level of continued concern that we see today?

Last edited:

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
Certainly! The unemployment line is not a good place for someone who specializes in an area which may no longer be pertinent.
But why would a government (or wanna-be governing body) show the level of continued concern that we see today?

Because they really ARE concerned... that their sin-tax-base is disappearing. Concern for anyone's health? Not even a random thought in their heads.

Andria

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Well, of course in a thread like this I can't pass up the opportunity to post this again...
Rampant Antismoking Signifies Grave Danger

It chronicles the recent history of tobacco control efforts, and their plan on how to reach their end game.
Those plans have been in place for over three decades now, and they have been working.

I don't think that they want to terminate "the industry". If that would be the goal, then they would let a few of these go through:

UPDATE 1-Florida jury awards record $23 billion against RJ Reynolds | Reuters

until the whole industry gets completely bankrupt.

What the govt is actually doing is to shelter them from liability - "mandating" graphic warnings on the cigarette packages, and keeping smokers at a distance from the general public - so no side stream lawsuits possible either.

The ANTZ mentioned in your link are either shills or "useful idiots". They help the govt justify the policies they're enacting as "being for your own good".

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Perhaps it is just that far less people smoke now than decades ago. Tobacco is just an easy target for the Deciders to tax. The majority now doesn't want the smell or mess. Insurance is all about risk. Smokers cost insurance companies more than non smokers.

Prove this conclusively!
Insurance companies Insure Far less Smokers than Non Smokers and while a Smoker may end up needing additional medical care related to their smoking< Everything is automatically related if you smoke> Insurance companies pay out far more for Total Claims across the non-smoking board. There are Many High Risk groups ignored or cautiously approached as to increasing Cost, i.e. reduced Profits, but Smokers are a Free Ride to the Bank for Insurance companies.

45 years a Smoker and never cost insurance a Dime or spent a single night in a Hospital.

There is no free lunch, just Bullies trying to steal your lunch money.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
Prove this conclusively!
Insurance companies Insure Far less Smokers than Non Smokers and while a Smoker may end up needing additional medical care related to their smoking< Everything is automatically related if you smoke> Insurance companies pay out far more for Total Claims across the non-smoking board. There are Many High Risk groups ignored or cautiously approached as to increasing Cost, i.e. reduced Profits, but Smokers are a Free Ride to the Bank for Insurance companies.

45 years a Smoker and never cost insurance a Dime or spent a single night in a Hospital.

There is no free lunch, just Bullies trying to steal your lunch money.

Per those insured; insurance companies pay more for smokers. Is that even in dispute? It would be like saying obese people in general don't cost insurance companies more...
One case doesn't set a precedent...
Individual plans do charge more based on a health screening, so [obese people] and those with other conditions do pay more. If you have group insurance and don't want to pay more for being a nicotine user, seeking private insurance with a company which doesn't charge more to those who use nicotine is an option, or not having insurance, at all and paying the ACA fine...

Last edited by a moderator:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
The morality busybodies have been around forever. Tobacco is just another random thing they decided to pick on. Watch the news and recognize similar tactics being applied against alcohol, sugar, fat, salt, video games, etc. Basically, anything that's fun the anti-everything crowd will jump on and demonize.

Do you want to live in a society where people aren't free to voice opinions contrary to yours? I know I don't, but I know there are many who do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread