Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
I'm curious about how other people set their wattage when using temperature control. For instance, for the coil I'm using 12 watts yields a heat flux of 200. I have my TC wattage set to 16, which would be a heat flux of 260.

So, with that in mind, what do you guys have your wattage at in TC mode? I'm really just curious how many watts above the wattage that yields a heat flux of 200 for your coil.

I know some of you are thinking it doesn't matter, but it does for a Sinuous P80. I can clearly tell a difference between 16w and 20w for my setup. I think it overshoots the set temperature more often at 20w.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This sort of thing appeals to my inner geek - so I'll be watch your thread avidly :D

As for me, I'm a mtl vaper - I use a 0.5ohm ss316l coil. In wattage mode, I'd run it at 15 watts - which is a heat flux of 250. It should be run at 11w for a heat flux of 200.

In TC I run it with 17 watts at 405°F - that's a heat flux of 320.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    This sort of thing appeals to my inner geek - so I'll be watch your thread avidly :D
    :) cool

As for me, I'm a mtl vaper - I use a 0.5ohm ss316l coil. In wattage mode, I'd run it at 15 watts - which is a heat flux of 250. It should be run at 11w for a heat flux of 200.

In TC I run it with 17 watts at 405°F - that's a heat flux of 320.
    I MTL too. This is my coil: Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

What gauge is the wire you use? I feel like your coil is similar to mine.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    Have you considered using thicker wire? Like 28g ss316L. 32g is difficult to work with IMO.
    Yea, I just started MTL vaping again and I never built coils for a MTL tank. The last time I MTL vaped I used carto tanks years ago. So, this Berserker Mini is actually my first rebuildable MTL RTA. I had to experiment. I should've bought 30ga or 28ga SS. Twisting 2 strands of this 32ga hair isn't bad though. It probably equals something like a strand of 28ga, right? May be less.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    • Agree
    Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    Yea, I just started MTL vaping again and I never built coils for a MTL tank. The last time I MTL vaped I used carto tanks years ago. So, this Berserker Mini is actually my first rebuildable MTL RTA. I had to experiment. I should've bought 30ga or 28ga SS. Twisting 2 strands of this 32ga hair isn't bad though. It probably equals something like a strand of 28ga, right? May be less.
    Keeping your target resistance of 0.56Ω and switching to 28g ss316L would give you 12w and a HF of 200.
    28g would be easier to work with. 26g ss316L much easier than 28g. Maybe order some 26g ss316L to try. You will still be able to hit your target wattage under TC with 26g. I've never paid much mind to the heat flux and just setup what I know works for me (wattage or TC). I use 26g ss316L for TC as well. I'm just on a clapton trip atm.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    Keeping your target resistance of 0.56Ω and switching to 28g ss316L would give you 12w and a HF of 200.
    28g would be easier to work with. 26g ss316L much easier than 28g. Maybe order some 26g ss316L to try. You will still be able to hit your target wattage under TC with 26g. I've never paid much mind to the heat flux and just setup what I know works for me (wattage or TC). I use 26g ss316L for TC as well. I'm just on a clapton trip atm.
    I have some 26ga SS316L, but it's on the hotter side for what I like. It's not horrible, but the coil holds more heat and it's noticeable.

My tank gets very warm and the vapor can get harsh. Maybe I didn't wick it tight enough and had a hot spot? Because, I don't see why it would be harsh if the temperature is the same as what I'm using now. Also, yes, 26ga is much easier to work with.

Actually, maybe just the tank chamber being so hot isn't letting the vapor cool down..

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I have some 26ga SS316L, but it's on the hotter side for what I like. It's not horrible, but the coil holds more heat and it's noticeable.

My tank gets very warm and the vapor can get harsh. Maybe I didn't wick it tight enough and had a hot spot? Because, I don't see why it would be harsh if the temperature is the same as what I'm using now. Also, yes, 26ga is much easier to work with.

I'm the same with 26ga unfortunately, as it certainly is easier to work with.I just find it takes longer to fire at the wattages I use. At 25w it is perfect however :thumb:

• Agree
    Reactions: muth and m1ke

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I keep it simple generally.
    28g 0.7'ish ss316L coil.
    TC 185-190'ish Celsius.
    I set the watts to about 22w, or what ever it takes to ramp up to temp quick.

Right now I have a Wasp Nano Rdta with a 28ga ss316L .67ohm coil on a pico75 with arcticfox. I have the temp set at 200c and the watts set at 75w. Its really satisfying. It could be set at 22w or 14w.
    I think on Steam Engine the heat flux of the coil at 200 is about 15w.

Even though I have the watts set to 75w it never reaches 75w. Once the set temp is reached it can be firing as low as 1w and generally around 6-8w

If I was using watts it would get too warm for me at a heatflux of 200 and the ramp up would be too slow if I dropped the watts. TC lets me dial in a cool vape and its immediate and exactly how I like it.

It just doesnt seem like a very complex thing to me. :D

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    So much complexity to achieve such a simple result.
    For the inner geeks. :)

d5cesjo-a8df5cbc-1375-42f4-aea6-03dc0d8293a7.png

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    There is a lot of fine tuning and monkeying around getting a good TC on devices that don't do TC well like the stock P80. Do you have Arctic Fox installed on the P80?
    Installing AF on my P80's elevated them from being "wobbly" with TC to being not too shabby.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    28g 0.7'ish ss316L coil.
    TC 185-190'ish Celsius.

Right now I have a Wasp Nano Rdta with a 28ga ss316L .67ohm coil on a pico75 with arcticfox. I have the temp set at 200c and the watts set at 75w. Its really satisfying. It could be set at 22w or 14w.

Even though I have the watts set to 75w it never reaches 75w. Once the set temp is reached it can be firing as low as 1w and generally around 6-8w

If I was using watts it would get too warm for me at a heatflux of 200 and the ramp up would be too slow if I dropped the watts. TC lets me dial in a cool vape and its immediate and exactly how I like it.

I also prefer a cool vape, so I'm gonna test out your theory ;)

75w.jpg

:lol: Obviously the Omni 4.2 chip used in my vaporesso mod is way different to arctic fox - I got a high temp ramp up vape that was very warm ;) Much better at 18watts :thumb:

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    I also prefer a cool vape, so I'm gonna test out your theory ;)

View attachment 830153

:lol: Obviously the Omni 4.2 chip used in my vaporesso mod is way different to arctic fox - I got a high temp ramp up vape that was very warm ;) Much better at 18watts :thumb:
    My vaporesso armor pro and smoant have quite a spike for the first few ms. They would be really good tc mods if the spike could be evened out.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    28g 0.7'ish ss316L coil.
    TC 185-190'ish Celsius.

It's not complex, but it varies from mod to mod. And, what I made bold is exactly what I experienced.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    There is a lot of fine tuning and monkeying around getting a good TC on devices that don't do TC well like the stock P80. Do you have Arctic Fox installed on the P80?
    Yea, I do. I don't know how much it helped TC though because I didn't use TC on the P80 before installing it. I installed AF like 20 minutes after opening the box.

Installing AF on my P80's elevated them from being "wobbly" with TC to being not too shabby.
    I'm using TC with it now and it's working consistent enough, but I can tell there's room for improvement.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread