Watts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
It's not complex, but it varies from mod to mod. And, what I made bold is exactly what I experienced.
The 'complex' comment was in reply to another poster ;) .

I vape dl or rdl, tc didn't work so well for me with mtl. More to do with my vape technique and user error with the gear I think.
With mtl I had more success getting the cooler temps I like with the quicker ramp up using 30ga and 32ga wire with higher ohms and lower watts.
My take on on tc is that watts are the throttle or accelerator pedal and temp control is the governor. It doesn't matter how hard you accelerate, the governor will kick in when the desired speed is reached. Accelerating hard will get you up to the governed speed quicker and keep you there with less ebb and flow. After the initial acceleration the governor does all the work.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
I also prefer a cool vape, so I'm gonna test out your theory ;)

View attachment 830153

:lol: Obviously the Omni 4.2 chip used in my vaporesso mod is way different to arctic fox - I got a high temp ramp up vape that was very warm ;) Much better at 18watts :thumb:
Just tried the vaporesso armor pro at full watts with a simple 28ga ss coil.
Aside from the initial spike in power for a few milliseconds it was a very smooth and spot on vape.
20190803_113654.jpg

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
Yea, I do. I don't know how much it helped TC though because I didn't use TC on the P80 before installing it. I installed AF like 20 minutes after opening the box.

I'm using TC with it now and it's working consistent enough, but I can tell there's room for improvement.
The armor pro is very accurate and smooth in tc mode. If it wasn't for the initial spike in power it would be almost as good as the LV mirage I have. I can live with the spike in the armor pro and use it to work in with the way I vape and use tc. I think the aegis solo is as accurate and smooth but doesn't have the same initial spike. I just don't like bulky mods, pico75's and pico25's are about spot on for me.
Funny thing is the LV mirage is one of my least favourite mods to use and I really only use it to compare with and set up other mods.

• Informative
Reactions: m1ke

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi buddy how is it going? Long time... :w00t:
Perhaps @m1ke , the OP and others, would have enjoyed you knowledgeable participation.
Funny U... :lol:
I'll participate. Speaking for myself, I've tried TC on my DNA Jac Vapour mod. I came away with the same perspective that @sonicbomb seems to have. So much complexity to achieve such a simple result. Wattage mode suits me just fine. Just set the wattage and vape. I fail to see any major advantages of TC.

• Optimistic
Reactions: ShowMeTwice

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I'll participate. Speaking for myself, I've tried TC on my DNA Jac Vapour mod. I came away with the same perspective that @sonicbomb seems to have. So much complexity to achieve such a simple result. Wattage mode suits me just fine.
Hi Bad, what's up?
Wattage = great. Isn't this thread specifically about TC though? :confused:
You are funny. Thanks man.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Hi Bad, what's up?
Wattage = great. Isn't this thread specifically about TC though? :confused:
You are funny. Thanks man.
Yeah, I can sometimes be funny. :lol: You asked for knowledgeable participation, so I offered my personal experience with TC. Sorry for intruding on your thread. You are welcome. Ha ha. :)

• Love

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
Yeah, I can sometimes be funny. :lol: You asked for knowledgeable participation, so I offered my personal experience with TC. Sorry for intruding on your thread. You are welcome. Ha ha.

All good Bad, we all enjoy each others company and we must have fun in the process. It's not my thread. All we were trying to do was offer the OP some help with his desire to remain within a range of heat flux as expressed. I prefer wattage over TC and have only my JAC's running TC. I likes my watts. ;)
Cheers bud!

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
I'll participate. Speaking for myself, I've tried TC on my DNA Jac Vapour mod. I came away with the same perspective that @sonicbomb seems to have. So much complexity to achieve such a simple result. Wattage mode suits me just fine. Just set the wattage and vape. I fail to see any major advantages of TC.
It controls (limits) the temperature of the vapor.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It controls (limits) the temperature of the vapor.
I understand that much, but I guess after all these years (7) I've never encountered the need to limit the temperature of my vapor. I don't get dry hits. If the vapor appears a bit too warm, I just drop the wattage until its where I like it.

Never mind me. I'm just an old school kind of vaper. Carry on. :)

• Love

m1ke

ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2013
North East USA
I understand that much, but I guess after all these years (7) I've never encountered the need to limit the temperature of my vapor. I don't get dry hits. If the vapor appears a bit too warm, I just drop the wattage until its where I like it.

Never mind me. I'm just an old school kind of vaper. Carry on. :)
I can completely understand why a person would choose to use wattage mode. It's very simple and works very consistently.

Yes, lowering the wattage would lower the temp of the vapor, but there's certain situations where I want a quick ramp up, but the ramp up wattage would put the vapor temp way over what I want. However, in wattage mode that can be achieved by using pre-heat, so I understand your stance.

I think with ArcticFox's preheat options that wattage mode can be very close to TC mode because the preheat mode in ArcticFox firmware has an option that lessens the preheat time based on how long ago the mod's button was pressed or released - something like that.

Edgree

May 14, 2019
I'm curious about how other people set their wattage when using temperature control. For instance, for the coil I'm using 12 watts yields a heat flux of 200. I have my TC wattage set to 16, which would be a heat flux of 260.

So, with that in mind, what do you guys have your wattage at in TC mode? I'm really just curious how many watts above the wattage that yields a heat flux of 200 for your coil.

I know some of you are thinking it doesn't matter, but it does for a Sinuous P80. I can clearly tell a difference between 16w and 20w for my setup. I think it overshoots the set temperature more often at 20w.
Im not to familiar with the P80 chipset. The only time my mod goes into wattage mode is to dry burn my coils. Otherwise I only use temp control. Presently Im using Jac Vapour B series dna75 with a single coil round wire 28g 316L SS 2.5mm ID .95 ohm. I vape at 420 - 435 F my wattage is set for 20w with a preheat of 25w for 1sec. My tempature comes up very fast with no overshooting and stays very linear its a DNA chip so it shold If you like to tinker and TC vape invest in a DNA mod. Its so nice to hook up your mod to the escribe software and actally watch whats going on as you take a puff. See exactly whats going on with every aspect of your device. Dial in your setting for maximum battery life among other things.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Edgree

May 14, 2019
The Jac vapour does excellent TC if you want to give it a try the easiest way to set up your TC is using the device monitor in escribe you can make changes on the fly and see whats going on. I love my Jac b series only with they would do a 75c version of it.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The 'complex' comment was in reply to another poster ;) .

I vape dl or rdl, tc didn't work so well for me with mtl. More to do with my vape technique and user error with the gear I think.
With mtl I had more success getting the cooler temps I like with the quicker ramp up using 30ga and 32ga wire with higher ohms and lower watts.
My take on on tc is that watts are the throttle or accelerator pedal and temp control is the governor. It doesn't matter how hard you accelerate, the governor will kick in when the desired speed is reached. Accelerating hard will get you up to the governed speed quicker and keep you there with less ebb and flow. After the initial acceleration the governor does all the work.
Which poster? :lol:
If you read the entirety of thread you would have learned the OP specifically asked for help with his desire to remain within a range of heat flux as expressed. Replies were generally offered in that direction. Perhaps next time save your superior and condescending remarks for your buds.
Better yet... keep those to yourself.
Cheers my friend. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: AngeNZ

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Just tried the vaporesso armor pro at full watts with a simple 28ga ss coil.
    Aside from the initial spike in power for a few milliseconds it was a very smooth and spot on vape.
    View attachment 830197

Yeah it was that spike that I didn't like.

The omni 4 chip in the armour pro and the omni 4.2 chip in the luxe nano are different to setup. But I found they both give great TC performance once you tweak the ss316l TCR values. Vaporesso have obviously done a decent job with these chips.

Another unknown goodie is the chip used in the Asmodus Colossal. That chip was what got me started in using TC. I use TCR mode on the Colossal.

m1ke

ECF Veteran
    Feb 18, 2013
    North East USA
    .. If you like to tinker and TC vape invest in a DNA mod. Its so nice to hook up your mod to the escribe software and actally watch whats going on as you take a puff. See exactly whats going on with every aspect of your device. Dial in your setting for maximum battery life among other things.

I'm not 100% positive it's to the same degree as a DNA board, but Arctic Fox's NToolBox offers something like what you described. I can take a drag and see all kinds of graphs in real time that show voltage, amperage, temperature, coil resistance, etc..

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 28, 2016
    The Forest
    @m1ke , I setup another Prime RTA today with a 28/36 ss316L clapton coming in at 0.8 ohms and I tested it out at 12w (your wattage) and between 400-440F in TC. It's a really nice vape. Have you considered trying claptons? If so Lightning Vapes has spools of 28/36 ss316L clapton wire. LV is where I got the wire I'm using and they are reasonable price wise. They also sell pre-made coils if you just wanted to try claptons to see if you like them.

Link to 28/36 ss316L clapton spool: Clapton Wire Spools - 25'

And pre-made coils: Clapton Wire Coils - Single Core SS 316L / SS 316L - 10 Pack

Edgree

May 14, 2019
    I'm not 100% positive it's to the same degree as a DNA board, but Arctic Fox's NToolBox offers something like what you described. I can take a drag and see all kinds of graphs in real time that show voltage, amperage, temperature, coil resistance, etc..
    Iv never used artic fox but if it has that capabilty its a great tool to set up your temperature control and see if you are overshotting your target temp and make adjustments from their. I use escribe in that fashion I can keep my battery voltage from spiking to increase battery life but still getting a good vape for an eco mode in one profile. And have differnt profiles for the different ejuices I vape. my dna lets me create 8 profiles so its nice.

Edgree

May 14, 2019
    @m1ke , I setup another Prime RTA today with a 28/36 ss316L clapton coming in at 0.8 ohms and I tested it out at 12w (your wattage) and between 400-440F in TC. It's a really nice vape. Have you considered trying claptons? If so Lightning Vapes has spools of 28/36 ss316L clapton wire. LV is where I got the wire I'm using and they are reasonable price wise. They also sell pre-made coils if you just wanted to try claptons to see if you like them.

Link to 28/36 ss316L clapton spool: Clapton Wire Spools - 25'

And pre-made coils: Clapton Wire Coils - Single Core SS 316L / SS 316L - 10 Pack
    Are you using a clapton in a kayfun prime ? Could you post a pick of your build. Do you know if the deck the same size as a kayfun lite 2019 ?

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    Which poster? :lol:
    If you read the entirety of thread you would have learned the OP specifically asked for help with his desire to remain within a range of heat flux as expressed. Replies were generally offered in that direction. Perhaps next time save your superior and condescending remarks for your buds.
    Better yet... keep those to yourself.
    Cheers my friend. ;)
    Hi bud. :)
    The post was in reply to the long term member who posted without offering any useful info other than he thought tc was complex.
    There is only one post like that, maybe you should read the entire thread before going passive aggressive keyboard warrior. :)
    Cheers my friend;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread