Weak flavor with Capellas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
I Got a huge order of capellas this week. This is my first week of mixing diy flavors, and I'm guessing this is just my own inexperience. I have already made a few flavors with loranns, I ended up modifying one heavily, adding em, tart and sour, and some other flavors, ending up with around 25% flavors. That one ending up ok. The rest of them were throw aways. I started mixing my cappellas today. 5 10ml batches. 15% flavor for 4 of them, no mixing, just the flavor straight in 40vg, 60vg, 25 mg/ml nic. 1 bottle with the same mixture, but 5% of carmal and ameretto, 15% cinnamon candy. Heated then up a few times to accellerate flavor steeping shook extensively. Tested with an 810 atty, all of them.. Barely anything. Can't taste the cinnamon at all. The apple pie I can taste mildly. Cinnamon swirl.. Also mildly. Both got a little better after multiple heatings, but not by much. In a 510 carto and atty they were about the same.

What am I doing wrong? Do I just need to let it sit for a few weeks? In the capellas thread, it seems people were raving about flavor even at low % right after mixing. What can I do? Im really shocked that I'm not tasting cinnamon candy at 15%, that flavor is normally brutal.

*edit* oops, was posting this from the android app and accidentally went back a forum. Can a mod move it to diy eliquid? Sorry!

Last edited:

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
Update:
I tried cinnamon candy in mixes ranging from 10% - 50% (!!), with and without EM, and.. nothing. You can smell it, vaguely, but it doesn't have any kick or flavor. When I put a drop of pure flavoring on my finger and lick it, it tastes like red hots, at the right intensity. I know this isn't the hot cinnamon flavor, but I was expecting.. something. Either I am doing something wrong or I just suddenly lost my ability to taste. I had my fiance try it, she didn't detect any cinnamon bite at all either, just a vague sweetness.

I have had some luck with em and vanilla, and em with apple. Perhaps I will simply need to buy cinnamon elsewhere. :(

*Edit* I bit the bullet and ordered 90ml of TPA redhot concentrate. Does anyone know if that simply refers to 2x concentration or if it lacks the EM they normally mix in? I'm still really confused about how to mix EM, I mixed it 1/4 tsp to 10ml and ended up with a paste, so I am guessing I didd something wrong there.

Last edited:

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There
You might want to ask right in the DIY forum or in that Capella's thread. Sometimes too much flavor equals no flavor. People's buds can also fry out on cinnamon if its something thats vaped for extended periods of time. Are you using all VG or 40 VG 60 PG? And yes about the steeping give it a few days. The next time you try add the nic last after the flavor is what you'd want it to be and perfected.

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
I don't want to iritate anyone by posting two identical threads. I was hoping a mod would throw it in the right thread when they noticed I put it in the wrong spot. I really need to stop posting new threads from the android app, it's quite easy to jump back when posting on it.

I tried making nic free mixtures for a while but it was soooo time consuming, i figured i might as well just make a 10ml batch of each flavor for steeping/testing/reference/ further testing/mixing. Ive been starting with 10ml 15% flavor 40%vg batches and then modifying them with mixtures i think might work, recalculating percentages as I go. I ended up with a few ok batches that way.

With the cinnamon red hots, I rarely vape it straight but I really like mixing it into other flavors, it gives them a kick that I like and covers some of the artificial taste a lot of flavors have. Hopefully this tpa redhots concentrate works out and I can get back to that. This will be a long wait. I made the capellas vanilla custard flavor straight and its pretty decent, I'll have to get by with that, cherry, and the mrs T package im getting monday until they arrive.

zapatengo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2011
Chico, Ca.
Update:
I tried cinnamon candy in mixes ranging from 10% - 50% (!!), with and without EM, and.. nothing. You can smell it, vaguely, but it doesn't have any kick or flavor. When I put a drop of pure flavoring on my finger and lick it, it tastes like red hots, at the right intensity. I know this isn't the hot cinnamon flavor, but I was expecting.. something. Either I am doing something wrong or I just suddenly lost my ability to taste. I had my fiance try it, she didn't detect any cinnamon bite at all either, just a vague sweetness.

I have had some luck with em and vanilla, and em with apple. Perhaps I will simply need to buy cinnamon elsewhere. :(

*Edit* I bit the bullet and ordered 90ml of TPA redhot concentrate. Does anyone know if that simply refers to 2x concentration or if it lacks the EM they normally mix in? I'm still really confused about how to mix EM, I mixed it 1/4 tsp to 10ml and ended up with a paste, so I am guessing I didd something wrong there.

I have mixed the TPA Redhots for over a year and vape it on a daily basis. It is quite good, but easy to over mix. Try 12-15% first. Good luck.

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
Zapatengo: have you ever used the concentrate?

Heating: I microwave them for like 3 seconds, enough to warm the juice but not the bottle. The bottle gets warm after i take it out and shake it, but not enough to be worried about the plastic contaminating the juice.

You would think at 50%, it would at least taste awful or something, but.. Nothing. Mild sweetness, hint of cinnamon, no spiciness. Not sure, guess ita just a weak flavor. A few of the other flavors are also weak. Some of them, a bit of em has improved. Ill have to jack up the em and flavor in the others and see if that changes. Im not going to bother trying the redhots capellas flavor, the tpa is way cheaper and if its good, that's all I need. I just need to figure out whay specificly is different about the tpa redhots "concentrate" so I can mix it correctly.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
*edit* oops, was posting this from the android app and accidentally went back a forum. Can a mod move it to diy eliquid? Sorry!

I just happened to see this...when y'all need something or see something off, please use the report triangle and give a brief explanation

Got ya moved :)

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Update:

If you mixed 1/4 of a teaspoon EM in 10ml of PG or VG and ended up with paste something is seriously amiss. Either your methods of measuring are off or your heating technique. I don't recomend the microwave method as the heat is not distributed evenly and portions could easily over heat and change the chemical bonding in your ingrediants. Best bet is use a small sauce pan of water heated on low temp and put your em solution in a glass bottle and set in the hot water for about 20 minutes. I also use this method for making my e-liquids

DZ

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2011
Littleton, CO
Are you mixing these flavors in just VG? I ask because in your op I see nothing of PG. In my experience VG is a flavor killer, I mixed a 2 drams of loranns in a 30ml mix of VG and the flavor should have been over powering but was just right. PG and VG react different to flavor, flavor comes out more in PG then it does in VG.

Last edited:

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
I mix 40%vg, 60% pg. No particular reason, I just saw a lot of people mix at that ratio and decided to go with that. I'll keep that in mind with weak flavors, though. I ordered my nic in 100% vg with the thought I might want to go 100% vg at some point, not realizing that most flavors are sold in a pg base. I don't think I would ever want to anyways, now that I have worked with pure vg. Stuff is a hassle to work with. I've read that pure pg departs a chemicalish flavor. I'll have to fool around with the ratio a bit and see how I feel about it.

TinyTimberGal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Wisconsin
picasaweb.google.com
Updatel

Did you mix the 1/4 tsp EM into the flavor or plain PG?

Geiseric

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Duluth, MN
I mixed the em into vg. I will try pg next time. I double checked my cappellas bottles; it was redhots flavor! That stuff is weak! Im considering opening another bottle and seeing if it was just a bad batch, but I'm thinking about just selling them since I have 2 unopened bottles and maybe there is someone who likes them. I will have to think on it.

With the capellas flavors that have worked for me,em and tart and sour (for fruit flavors) have done a lot to bring the flavor out, and a couple of days of steeping has vastly improved the natural taste of the flavors. I'm starting to get the hang of adjusting and mixing in flavors on the fly. Its very addicting, I spend around 4 hours a day mixing and preparing flavors. I can't wait to mix a good enough flavor that I can start filling my tanks for longer term vaping, I have 4 vision grandes, a pile of ce2 rev 6s, and the gotvapes pumpcarts all sitting, waiting to be used (I ran out of store made juice and decided to not bother buying more after investing so much into diy).

Btw, the dripping atty included with the pushcarts is incredible. So easy to use, slow to flood, can drip in twice as much without it flooding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread