Week 2 observations and first haul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Well, it has been 2 weeks now on the ~ 5 RYO's a day + vape regime. Things are getting interesting.

1. I've just polished off the last of my 50g of tobacco from 2 weeks ago, so I'm comfortable I can "maintain" at 100g a month if need be versus my regular 350-500g without vaping.
  2. I'm at the stage where I can clearly identify the "I really enjoyed that cigarette" from the "Lets top up the nicotine levels" ones. Yesterday was an eye-opener, the first one of the day was the only one I really enjoyed.
  3. Today has probably been the worst so far. I'm stressed, have a scratchy throat and can't seem to get any flavour from my vape unless I boot it to 100W. I've also noticed I'm a lot thirstier over the past few days. I'm coming to the end of my 50ml bottle of juice and have panic fever that I won't have any juice ready for 2 weeks. I won't get my scales and other bits until early next week at the earliest, so it will be speed steeping for me until I can knock out a properly matured batch.
  4. Emotionally, it has been a bit of a roller coaster. Was fine up until today, and I've gone off the cliff a bit. Next week will be better I hope, unless my first batch of juice turns out to be foul - although with the all the excellent material here on ECF I think I should be OK. Time is my biggest enemy here.
Some questions though -
  1. Is it safe to taste flavourings by adding the smallest drop on your tongue?
  2. Could I kick start the process of steeping by pre-mixing PG/VG and nic? I know the amounts and don't need scales to do it
Anyway, here is my current vaping haul to date.

haul.jpg

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You have syringes, you don't have to wait for the scale. Just mix up the ones that need a steep. Another tip, as a general rule 10ml doesn't take as long to steep as 60ml. Split your 60ml mixes into smaller bottles after mixing until you get caught up.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well you sound a lot more even keeled than I did after my first couple of weeks.

Just a thought, if you are having "top up the nicotine" cigarettes, maybe keep a higher nic setup around (it's fine to add a bit of nic to a premade juice, just use a juice calculator etc. to make sure you know how much).

Also, yes, you can taste flavors. The taste can be a bit different than it's going to taste like vaped and etc., so don't freak out if some taste awful-- they're designed to be diluted.

Some flavors and manufacturers just need less steeping than others, like fruits and whatnot, so don't panic yet. You could list your flavors that are coming in the DIY board and get suggestions from those who have used those flavors, and perhaps get some shake and vape suggestions so you don't feel panic and etc.

Yes, it's fine to premix your base if you want. IDK if it will necessarily speed up steeping time, but it will for sure REDUCE the amount of steps you will have to complete to make a mix.

Hot water (don't overdo it, maybe hot out of the tap, and set it in there, for an hour as it cools) can get some things "going" so to speak but unless you feel you MUST, well speed steeping can yield variable results and your best bet is time and shaking occasionally.

I only recently mixed up some "pre-made" base and I wish I'd done it months ago, it would have made my life SO much easier.

Good luck and keep up the good work! :)

Anna

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Thanks @tailland - that gets me out of jam if the rest of the kit doesn't arrive before I run out of juice.
It is combining the flavors with the base that requires steeping. Do not tongue or finger test flavors straight from the bottle. Put a couple drops in a shot glass of water if you must but understand that is not what you will taste when mixed.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Okay I've been vaping for a long time and still go through spells of not tasting. I still go through spells where I will smoke, it's not as much and I don't enjoy it but it's like you said, needing the nic. So don't worry about what you do smoke, think about what you don't. Every cigarette not smoked is a win, it's a war not a battle or if you prefer a marathon not a sprint.

Now for mixing, which I no longer do, too lazy. I never used a scale, I used syringes and while one can be off from another, if you stick with the same brand you should still come out right. I wouldn't worry about the scales until it's big batches and that's just for speed.

Like was mentioned above mix and put into 5ml or 10ml bottles, it will steep a lot faster. Then when caught up, start storing in bigger bottles. I honestly wouldn't open my nic. until read to do full mix, as oxygen starts the degradation process (as well as sunlight).

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
Thanks @Letitia, I was reluctant to use the syringes for flavourings [especially the smaller ones] as I don't have any decent cleaning kit yet and didn't want to risk cross-contamination - but watch this space :). I could take the plunger out the smaller syringe, block off the nozzle and use it as a mini measuring cylinder though for one batch. The needles seem to be too thick to go into the flavour bottles, and knowing Mr Clumsy here if I pop off the nozzle, I'll knock the flavouring everywhere! Good tip about the smaller quantities BTW, I was thinking about starting off small and that seals the deal.

@stols001 "Well you sound a lot more even keeled than I did after my first couple of weeks" - Not sure my other half would agree :( . Had the "Can we please change the subject" discussion today when I tried to explain my worries about steeping/maturing times and running out of juice ...

I always thought "Shake and vape" applied to the nic shots you add to pre-made juices. On that subject, I'm really confused about the nic levels in my current commercial juice. It comprises of 1 x 50ml 0mg flavour + 1 x 10ml 18mg nic shot. Is that equivalent to 3mg strength? My bulk nic is 20mg, so I was thinking of upping the nic levels a touch anyway.

I have some sous vide kit which keeps water at a constant temperature, so I will mature my fluid for a few hours at 65.55C. I came across an post earlier which mentioned it is best not use plastic bottles for this, hence the very lonely mason jar. I wish now I'd bought a few bigger bottles well for pre-mix.

Thanks again everyone for your patience and willingness to share - it really does make the world (and the Internet) a better place.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
You can simply rinse the syringes under a hot water tap. What I do is keep a cup of water in reach, measure one flavor into the bottle, pull water from the cup into syringe to rinse, measure next flavor, etc. I always measure nic first. Aren't you using a calculator?

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
I was planning on using steam-engine for calcs, still trying to get my head around it. I've just realised a flaw in my thinking, all the flavourings being PG based will be water soluble, so yes, you can rinse them in hot water. For some reason I was thinking "scented oils/aromatherapy" which is a different beast entirely.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I was planning on using steam-engine for calcs, still trying to get my head around it. I've just realised a flaw in my thinking, all the flavourings being PG based will be water soluble, so yes, you can rinse them in hot water. For some reason I was thinking "scented oils/aromatherapy" which is a different beast entirely.
ELR recipes has a better calculator imo. Free to join and you can keep track of your flavors in your flavor stash. Great community over there too tho you can just use the tools if you wish. I can't send a link due to ECF rules.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
OK, quickly threw together a sample ejuice, as suggested by @Letitia Any suggestions for quick steeping/shake 'n' vape recipes.

I worked on the same dosage principle as the juice I bought last week, make up 50ml juice and throw in the 10ml/20mg nic shot. Give it all a good shake, to be later decanted into 10ml bottles for steeping. Eager to try the Dulce recipe, I'll maybe throw it in some hot water later. You can tell from the following commentary that I've forgotten all my chemistry knowledge from 40+ years ago, but hopefully it will come back to me.

Some initial observations:
  1. Thin needles are worse than useless for viscous fluids like PG/VG. Even without a needle, the syringe suction is sufficient to break your arm when it snaps back
  2. All the flavourings etc. are as sticky as influenza-ridden dinosaur snot. If you drip any on laminate floor, the opposite effect applies where it transforms itself to a high quality lubricant worthy of a Texan oil well. A third physical property applies when trying to remove the nipple from a bottle, where the aforementioned liquid turns into an advanced form of superglue that actually bonds plastics together successfully
  3. Don't be worried if your vigorous shaking turns the fluid cloudy. This is actually micro-bubbles, not some sort of deadly chemical sediment. After 10 minutes or so, if you leave the bottle standing with the lid off you can see the final clear fluid emerging from the bottom
  4. Measuring by weight is definitely the way to go. Pathological fear of syringes is there for a reason
  5. Don't know what it vapes like, but it smells good
IMG_6531.JPG

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
OK, quickly threw together a sample ejuice, as suggested by @Letitia Any suggestions for quick steeping/shake 'n' vape recipes.

I worked on the same dosage principle as the juice I bought last week, make up 50ml juice and throw in the 10ml/20mg nic shot. Give it all a good shake, to be later decanted into 10ml bottles for steeping. Eager to try the Dulce recipe, I'll maybe throw it in some hot water later. You can tell from the following commentary that I've forgotten all my chemistry knowledge from 40+ years ago, but hopefully it will come back to me.

1. Thin needles are worse than useless for viscous fluids like PG/VG. Even without a needle, the syringe suction is sufficient to break your arm when it snaps back
  2. All the flavourings etc. are as sticky as influenza-ridden dinosaur snot. If you drip any on laminate floor, the opposite effect applies where it transforms itself to a high quality lubricant worthy of a Texan oil well. A third physical property applies when trying to remove the nipple from a bottle, where the aforementioned liquid turns into an advanced form of superglue that actually bonds plastics together successfully
  3. Don't be worried if your vigorous shaking turns the fluid cloudy. This is actually micro-bubbles, not some sort of deadly chemical sediment. After 10 minutes or so, if you leave the bottle standing with the lid off you can see the final clear fluid emerging from the bottom
  4. Measuring by weight is definitely the way to go. Pathological fear of syringes is there for a reason
View attachment 765415
Don't overthink this process... As someone here said not long ago, this is more like mixing a cocktail, than chemistry. It is pretty easy to overwhelm yourself in methods, when you really need to just get on with it.
After you do this a couple times, you are gonna just kick yourself for worrying.
If you keep your recipes simple at first, you will eliminate the most common failure vector.
Flavorings require measuring small quantities, but using bigger batches, once you know the recipe works for you, makes this easier to measure.
Happy vaping!

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Did you use some sorta electric froth thing to mix it? I don't think I've ever seen microbubbles to the point of making a juice opaque before.
I use hand mixers and my juices look like that. But you can accomplish this froth hand shaking if your elbows hold out. Jig saw works well too.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

View attachment 765415
I would suggest 10ml testers before committing to 50ml batches going forward.

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
You’ve gotten excellent advice so far. I just want to remind you, as you read through the DIY forum, that most of us have developed our own rather OCD methods over the years. And they’re great ideas, but mostly not hard and fast rules.

Use a calculator, measure carefully, take notes, and be consistent. Those are important factors.

But don’t get hung up in thinking there is one perfect way to mix out there. You’ll find your own preferences in time.

You’ll see most of the folks on this thread advising “start here, or try this” because we all well know that all of our tastes are different. If you end up with a juice that works for you, you’re successful.

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
I name this mixture "horse c*m"

Dinosaur Snot. Horse c*m. I see a theme emerging here :lol:.

I'll post some more photos later as the "brew" commences. If this turns out successful, I'm going to launch a new eliquid range called "Animal farm", the flavours including "Artificial insemination", "Bambi bones" and "Rabies shot".

Seriously though, I know I'm probably being optimistic going for 50ml measures to start with, but I can see disaster looming if I try and mix 10ml without a set of scales. I don't think I have a steady enough hand or good enough eye to consistently maintain the same result. I'll put together some more 50ml samples tonight, and wait until next week to experiment in earnest.

Part of all of this is to enjoy yourself, find your feet and not take yourself too seriously. I've read more on vaping etc. in the past few weeks to firmly put me in the camp of "Dangerously knowledgeable" - lots of head info but zero real life experience. I definitely fall into the category of the sort of person who needs to make mistakes to learn, but l like to think these make the best lessons if not repeated.

Onwards and upwards :rickroll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread